Chelsea 0 Aston Villa 2

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:30 hours on Saturday, 1st April 2023 (Local UK time/date) (Live on BT Sport)

So we've got about a week and a half until this game takes place.

Do we believe Potter will maybe look to use the time to address a few things, or given the previous occasions when he's had time with the players should we be keeping expectations low? 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

So we've got about a week and a half until this game takes place.

Do we believe Potter will maybe look to use the time to address a few things, or given the previous occasions when he's had time with the players should we be keeping expectations low? 

Yes - we might score a goal and get a point - it's what I'm expecting 🙂

The only "new" thing we can hope for is this lineup:

Kepa

W.Fofana - Badiashile - Cucurella

James                                                   Chilwell

Kante - Enzo

Felix - Havertz - Sterling

51 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Kepa

Kante - Enzo

I'd like to see Aubameyang for Havertz. 

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Why would you replace a player who’s scored 3/3?

Stretch that stat out over a much longer time frame and tell me whether Havertz is the answer to our goal scoring woes.

We are much more creative in recent weeks with the class of Enzo and having our WBs back.

A proper CF would lap it up and I dare say would have scored more than 3 in the last 3.

Havertz is not a striker regardless of the past 3 games. 

On 21/03/2023 at 20:33, Ham said:

We are much more creative in recent weeks with the class of Enzo and having our WBs back.

Not sure Enzo is quite in the same league a Jorginho in that position. However time will tell.

WB are straight from TT playbook and not the future. 

A proper CF would lap it up and I dare say would have scored more than 3 in the last 3.

that’s a bit to mystic meg for me,

You also need to consider if PEA would close down the opposition as much as Havertz to keep the status quo of defending from the front?

I don’t think he has ever said he is a striker. 

Edited by ROTG

On 21/03/2023 at 18:41, asvaberg said:

Kepa

Kante - Enzo

I hope we don't see Kante and Enzo paired together in a pivot.

There's only one way this works and it's Enzo sacrificing his game to accomodate Kante needing the freedom to roam to be effective. He'll essentially be tasked with a role blending that of Drinkwater at Leicester with what Matic played here  - a complete misuse of his skillset. We'd essentially be trading Enzo in the attacking third for Kante, which is utterly criminal. 

5 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

They are 3rd in the form table since Emery came in.

Like most top coaches Emery came in got rid of the clueless formations and tactic of SG. Went straight to 442 and has coached the players to that formation. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, ROTG said:

Like most top coaches Emery came in got rid of the clueless formations and tactic of SG. Went straight to 442 and has coached the players to that formation. 

He's played 442 in 9 league matches since arriving, and 5 matches with 4231. All the losses picked up have come playing 442 - including 3 heavy defeats on the bounce before returning to the 4231 around 4 games ago (3W and 1L). 

The ideal that 442 is some magic remedy is naive. In fact, if anything Emery quickly realised it wasn't working and adjusted like any switched on manager should be doing. 

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

He's played 442 in 9 league matches since arriving, and 5 matches with 4231. All the losses picked up have come playing 442 - including 3 heavy defeats on the bounce before returning to the 4231 around 4 games ago (3W and 1L). 

The ideal that 442 is some magic remedy is naive. In fact, if anything Emery quickly realised it wasn't working and adjusted like any switched on manager should be doing. 

I prefer to look at the match on TV to determine the formation being played and not what is published in transfermaket.

Talking of transfermaket PL stats for you to chew on

Potter P21 - Points 28

Emery P14 - Points 28 Also during his tenure Emery has managed to beat teams above him in the league.

On 22/03/2023 at 23:48, xceleryx said:

I hope we don't see Kante and Enzo paired together in a pivot.

There's only one way this works and it's Enzo sacrificing his game to accomodate Kante needing the freedom to roam to be effective. He'll essentially be tasked with a role blending that of Drinkwater at Leicester with what Matic played here  - a complete misuse of his skillset. We'd essentially be trading Enzo in the attacking third for Kante, which is utterly criminal. 

Meaning we cannot play with both Kante AND Enzo in the same lineup? 

Kante as DM

Enzo as AM

It's a no-no?

23 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Kante as DM

Enzo as AM

It's a no-no?

Conundrum. If this were the case, why would we extend Kante's contract, if the only time he will be allowed on the pitch is when Enzo is not on it? Hopefully Enzo is always on it.

It's a total guess, but I think (and hope) we have been so careful with Kante's rehabilitation, that he will come back and be able to hit "peak Kante" again.

There must be some sensible way to use them together? I genuinely can't remember the few times Kante played as a proper DM, but do remember it was not overly popular in these parts.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 15:33, Ham said:

Hvertz hasn't played as a striker in any of the last 3 games. Sterling played as a striker against Dortmund. Mudryk against Leicester and actually Felix against Everton. So this is actually redundant because he isn't being asked to play as a striker.

6 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Kante as DM

Enzo as AM

It's a no-no?

We could in a midfield 3 with someone else to sit and give Enzo and Kante both freedom. Unfortunately we both aren't playing that formation and don't have a proper holding midfielder in the squad. It's an argument that's been had a million times over but Kante isn't a DM.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ROTG said:

I prefer to look at the match on TV to determine the formation being played and not what is published in transfermaket.

Talking of transfermaket PL stats for you to chew on

Potter P21 - Points 28

Emery P14 - Points 28 Also during his tenure Emery has managed to beat teams above him in the league.

Even the eye test tells you Villa aren't playing 442. 

And I don't think anyone is going to tell you Potter is a better manager than Emery, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here exactly.

It doesn't shock me that Emery is doing better.

16 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Kante as DM

Enzo as AM

It's a no-no?

Not going to rehash the specifics as to why (did explain this in the squad status thread however if you wanted a more detailed explanation). 

The short of it though is that they aren't a complimentary pairing as a double pivot, they would however fit better in a midfield three with a proper holding player in behind - but that creates issue ahead.

16 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Conundrum. If this were the case, why would we extend Kante's contract, if the only time he will be allowed on the pitch is when Enzo is not on it? Hopefully Enzo is always on it.

It's a total guess, but I think (and hope) we have been so careful with Kante's rehabilitation, that he will come back and be able to hit "peak Kante" again.

There must be some sensible way to use them together? I genuinely can't remember the few times Kante played as a proper DM, but do remember it was not overly popular in these parts.

433 is the only way, but as noted already a proper holding player would be needed to play in behind both. Then it leaves us with the problem of Kovacic, Kante and Mount more or less all vying for that 3rd and only CM spot, plus what then happens to Joao Felix if he remains much less the arriving Nkunku (and a lesser extent Havertz).

As for why we're extending Kante's contract, no idea. I've said this on the old forum but I'd have either let him walk at the end of the season, or at the very least waited until we returns to see what he looks like before committing to any sort of multi-year extension. Right now he's still a complete unknown quantity and not what we're really missing, so blindly extending his deal based purely on reputation alone creates a bit of a ticking time bomb - particularly when you consider his performances had already begun to wane in the last 12-18 months prior to him breaking down this season. 

And yes, Kante at DM isn't the solution - and if it happens whoever is making that decision should be shot into the sun.