Official: Chelsea sign Nicolas Jackson on an 8 Year Contract

JaneB

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

That booking was engineered by the Villa keeper though in fairness.

The ref lapped it up of course. 

Meanwhile  I'm still waiting for sending offs in the Arsenal and Newcastle games to transpire for worse tackles than we had Gusto sent off for. 

Watched McGinn lecture the ref throughout the game, heatedly so..Trippier waving a finger at his ref and on and on. Ridiculous "ruling" advice...yellow for "nothing" but "let the game flow" if no broken leg?...madness whether at Chelsea or elsewhere..truly in a game played on adrenaline and emotion the guardians should not be grinding the music !

• Agree 3

23 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

That booking was engineered by the Villa keeper though in fairness.

The ref lapped it up of course. 

Meanwhile  I'm still waiting for sending offs in the Arsenal and Newcastle games to transpire for worse tackles than we had Gusto sent off for. 

Bang on of course it was, that arse martinez  got him booked, The sending off was a yellow not a red but of course they can hide that in a cupboard named stockley park... cant see a hair pull but right on it if theres a chance of punishing us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Bang on of course it was, that arse martinez  got him booked, The sending off was a yellow not a red but of course they can hide that in a cupboard named stockley park... cant see a hair pull but right on it if theres a chance of punishing us.

I think the red was not even a yellow or a foul for that matter, Digne arrived late after a clearance and the follow  through  was no more than 3in off the grass.

I'm sure I have seen players booked for doing what Martinez did.  First time I have seen the yellow go the other way.
Indeed for many free kicks refs allow players to stand in front.
If there is no clarity in next few days from the Refs I can see that happening 3 or 4 times a game.  Not just keepers but all over the pitch.  Pretty soon they'll have to go back to the old rule of booking the player who kicks the ball.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes, that also crossed my mind. To me it wasnt even obvious that Jackson was even attempting to time waste in fact at that point why would he. It was one of several strange decisions on the day, the red of course will be hidden behind the VAR curtain and after Mike Deans admissions how can you trust the integrity of that. Agree wasnt a red can make a case for a yellow which was the decision from the on field ref. Sadly modern football has the feel of a TV show where the VAR officials in combination with the on field officials gently or not manipulate the story. A 0-0 or narrow Chelsea victory was no story...moneybags Chelsea losing again at home of course is.

And yes the rules or interpretation of them suddenly feel very loose/flexible this season and given how poor english refereeing is currently very dangerous. But we were undoubtedly manipulated on sunday

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Yes, that also crossed my mind. To me it wasnt even obvious that Jackson was even attempting to time waste in fact at that point why would he. It was one of several strange decisions on the day, the red of course will be hidden behind the VAR curtain and after Mike Deans admissions how can you trust the integrity of that. Agree wasnt a red can make a case for a yellow which was the decision from the on field ref. Sadly modern football has the feel of a TV show where the VAR officials in combination with the on field officials gently or not manipulate the story. A 0-0 or narrow Chelsea victory was no story...moneybags Chelsea losing again at home of course is.

And yes the rules or interpretation of them suddenly feel very loose/flexible this season and given how poor english refereeing is currently very dangerous. But we were undoubtedly manipulated on sunday

I've said on many an occasion that our games are refereed differently to everyone else's games, simply put, we are never given the benefit of doubt others are given. 

As someone succinctly put last week, if you have to look at a yellow card offence eleven times before upgrading it to a red card then it was not a clear and obvious error. 

Every goal we score is looked at with forensic detail to see where they can disallow it from, nobody else's goals are unless it's contentious. 

We routinely have 70-80 percent possession of the ball but 90 percent of the bookings. Our opposition can make foul after foul after foul before the referee decides enough is enough and books them for it, we are routinely booked first chance they get. 

Martinez at the weekend, wastes time, every chance he gets as he's facing a bombardment of chances, the referee sees this and books him at the very end of the game so he can point to the statistics that he did his job when he should have done his job earlier. 

It's an absolute farce and it's being done on purpose and two referees once safely retired have both admitted it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We routinely have 70-80 percent possession of the ball but 90 percent of the bookings. Our opposition can make foul after foul after foul before the referee decides enough is enough and books them for it, we are routinely booked first chance they get. 

If you have 70% possession you will make 90% of the professional fouls on breakaways.
Note Silva's big error on Sunday was not being caught out of position ball hunting in their half, but in being too slow to catch the guy to get the obligatory yellow after such an error.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

If you have 70% possession you will make 90% of the professional fouls on breakaways.
Note Silva's big error on Sunday was not being caught out of position ball hunting in their half, but in being too slow to catch the guy to get the obligatory yellow after such an error.

I agree but they are not the kind of fouls we are generally being carded for. 

Complaining about the referees performance seems to be the biggest issue. 

44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I agree but they are not the kind of fouls we are generally being carded for. 

Complaining about the referees performance seems to be the biggest issue. 

We are but i do think the new directive from the FA to let the game flow is partly behind that, the kind of challenges outside the box that result in a breakaway or often being let go and you have to almost kill someone to give away a penalty unless you are playing Liverpool of course.  All of which could not become so important if we could put the ball in the net (without being ruled offside) more regularly. I do think the players are trying to adjust to this new leniency as much as the spectators.  But yes we are being screwed over by officials which is no surprise, they read papers and watch tv/listen to podcasts. How can they fail to be influenced.

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

fair point but im reluctant to blame silva there as we had enough chances to be 1-0 up or equalise post goal conceded. There lies the issue...taking chances

• 1 month later...

Let's hope last night is a launch pad for his Chelsea career. 

Not that I am comparing the two, but Drogba had a slow start to his Chelsea career (his 5th PL goal arriving in January 2005), and Jackson is much younger and more raw then he was.

In an ideal world, he'd be second choice to a more senior CF but there is something about him, and still just 22. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Let's hope last night is a launch pad for his Chelsea career. 

Not that I am comparing the two, but Drogba had a slow start to his Chelsea career (his 5th PL goal arriving in January 2005), and Jackson is much younger and more raw then he was.

In an ideal world, he'd be second choice to a more senior CF but there is something about him, and still just 22. 

He's still got a lot to learn but he tried his heart out last night and refused to give in and even though he stumbled about and looked gangly the goal where he rounded their very impressive keeper was great to see.  But ....that header 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If he'd scored and we'd won 2-1, that would have been really good for him - but to score 3 away at Spurs could be a huge boost to his confidence and him learning in this league.  Hopefully he can follow this up with a few more goals in the coming weeks.  

He's grafting hard and showing a lot of enthusiasm and willingness - it's about coaching him to be in the spots he was getting into last night and showing that composure on a regular basis.  Hard learning curve at the moment, but there are definitely positives there with this lad.  And he's a breath of fresh air in terms of his attitude after Higuain/Morata/Fat Rom/Aubameyang/Havertz etc 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's still got a lot to learn but he tried his heart out last night and refused to give in and even though he stumbled about and looked gangly the goal where he rounded their very impressive keeper was great to see.  But ....that header 🤔

Jackson’s stumble is what caused their goalie to commit for the last goal and he seemed to get his feet wrong for the second BUT goals are goals and as you say his attitude was great. Maybe Nkunku could be a good partner. I want Jackson to be a real awkward nuisance in the opposition box. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bert19 said:

If he'd scored and we'd won 2-1, that would have been really good for him - but to score 3 away at Spurs could be a huge boost to his confidence and him learning in this league.  Hopefully he can follow this up with a few more goals in the coming weeks.  

He's grafting hard and showing a lot of enthusiasm and willingness - it's about coaching him to be in the spots he was getting into last night and showing that composure on a regular basis.  Hard learning curve at the moment, but there are definitely positives there with this lad.  And he's a breath of fresh air in terms of his attitude after Higuain/Morata/Fat Rom/Aubameyang/Havertz etc 

In a ways he'd benefit more trying to do less. 

You can still see the inexperience he posses with wanting to do everything, this has lead to several frustrating moments where he either hangs onto the ball for too long trying to dribble his way through when an earlier pass off would've been better served, or he gets caught in possession and turns it over. 

I do like his movement off the ball though and his willingness to either drop deep or run the channels to get in behind. His mobility and the potential that offers is another underrated factor, more so combined with his speed and willingness to do a bit of work defensively. 

Plenty for him to still work on though as you'd expect.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bert19 said:

It's nice to have a CF who looks like they actually want to be here, and is prepared to run about, and try hard

Yes, it was 9 men, but he looked over the moon at his hat trick. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

In a ways he'd benefit more trying to do less. 

You can still see the inexperience he posses with wanting to do everything, this has lead to several frustrating moments where he either hangs onto the ball for too long trying to dribble his way through when an earlier pass off would've been better served, or he gets caught in possession and turns it over. 

I do like his movement off the ball though and his willingness to either drop deep or run the channels to get in behind. His mobility and the potential that offers is another underrated factor, more so combined with his speed and willingness to do a bit of work defensively. 

Plenty for him to still work on though as you'd expect.

I agree totally. If I were Poch, i'd be telling him that his job is to be involved less 40 yards from goal and focus on hitting the 6 yard line as much as he can whenever we're in possession.  

I have to admit that the lack of tactical nous Poch is showing at times is a concern.  (Given the importance of getting some wins, building confidence and getting this team League-ready, i'd like him to be a bit more pragmatic in his approach and for us to spend a lot less time playing like we have against Forest/Villa/Brentford). 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

It's nice to have a CF who looks like they actually want to be here, and is prepared to run about, and try hard

Yes, it was 9 men, but he looked over the moon at his hat trick. 

Yeh. He's putting a shift in and he'll earn rewards for showing a really positive attitude. I like it.  

Don't buy into the my gran couldve scored that hatrick  V Spurs narrative. Even at 0-1 he made a wonderful move in the box and had a shot on goal that drew an excellent save.  Looking at the goals, the second one was a touch lucky as he hit it too close to the keeper but the left foot finish was good and his feint to pass that created his last goal was clever. Yes he shanked one over the bar which formed the pundits opinion that it was a '' lucky hatrick'' for them but he has shown enough already to suggest he will develop into a good player.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

he has shown enough already to suggest he will develop into a good player.

He a £30m striker as written on the label and is good enough to lead the line at a middle to lower PL or championship team. He's never going to be a a striker who can produce something out of nothing because he is so predictable and unfortunately does not have the tools to be leading the line for a top club, a good number two maybe. 

Probably why there are so many stories on the club looking to recruiting a top striker 

Also the two other goal he score were against Burnley and Luton.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Didn't the nobody coach G. Potter say something similar about D Forfana 

Just now, ROTG said:

He a £30m striker as written on the label and is good enough to lead the line at a middle to lower PL or championship team. He's never going to be a a striker who can produce something out of nothing because he is so predictable and unfortunately does not have the tools to be leading the line for a top club, a good number two maybe. 

Probably why there are so many stories on the club looking to recruiting a top striker 

Also the two other goal he score were against Burnley and Luton.

He's also only 22 so very much a work in progress

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

True. Droggles was a raw 24 (?) year old when he arrived. Wild finishes, diving etc, and finished as King Drogba, arguably our finest-ever all-round No9. 

He was 26.

At 22, he was playing in the French second division.

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He was 26.

At 22, he was playing in the French second division.

At 21 he turned professional.  
The Drogba theory implies that we should be signing every amateur 20 year old in France to find the next Drogba.  A low return strategy I suspect.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

At 21 he turned professional.  
The Drogba theory implies that we should be signing every amateur 20 year old in France to find the next Drogba.  A low return strategy I suspect.

It is simply making a point at where the two were in their respective careers. Drogba was far maturer than Jackson is now, both in age and or professional terms.

Jackson made his professional debut 2 years ago. Age 20.

Drogba made his professional debut aged 21, five years before joining Chelsea.

Edited by paulw66
  • Agree 1