Chelsea Legends of Europe - The Bridge, Sat 9th Sept 2023 7.30pm

Sciatika

This game, against Bayern Munich Legends, is being played as a tribute to Luca Vialli. Half the proceeds will go to the Foundation and half to the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity. Luca was treated at the Royal Marsden. Tickets are still available and, if not, the game can be viewed online for £5.99.

Appearing for Chelsea Legends are Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Leboeuf, Cahill, Sinclair, Terry, Gallas, Tiago, Franco, Casiraghi, Makalele, Mikel, Morris, Ramires, FloMo, Eidur, Essien, Flo, Kalou, Bertrand, Hutchinson, Granville, Harley, How will coach Di Matteo pick?

Be nice to see a game that we might win.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/legends-of-europe-everything-you-need-to-know-

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dale86 said:

Bought tickets for this for me and my Dad, will be my first game at the Bridge and Dad's first since some time in the 90s!

Looking forward to seeing some Legends!

Yes ENJOY!!!! 

I so wanted to go to this match but not possible ☹️

Just looking at those names 🤩

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

Scary. There were one or two I didn't recognise.  Bison's lovely header, Terry scoring a tap-in. Apparently, it was on 26 minutes. Mikel's ball to Kalou was a thing of beauty. Kalou missed 🙂 Zola's chip for the third and Tiago's dinked goal from a beautiful Essien pass. But it was the tribute at the beginning and Nessum Dorma that got me. Does it every time. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Just watched the highlights, tears in my eyes the whole way through. Took me back to my childhood and teenage years.

Me too mate. I just posted a link to the highlights and quite honestly they show the current crop just how far they have to go, if indeed they ever will. Brilliant memories.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Me too mate. I just posted a link to the highlights and quite honestly they show the current crop just how far they have to go, if indeed they ever will. Brilliant memories.

Yes , they could do with seeing this and actually being reminded of who they should be living up to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Just don't take finishing notes from Kalou. 😄

Even back then we used to laugh about it, but then he was surrounded by the likes of Drogba and Lampard so it was rarely the game defining moment. The amount of creativity the guys showed yesterday made me realise just how far off it we are though.

• Like 1

It was a really great evening, the rendition of Nessun Dorma before kick off had me in tears, proper emotional stuff.

The game was great, a lot of fun and so good to see players who have been present from my childhood into adult life. All the players put a shift in and looked genuinely happy to be there and taking part. Nice to see a resounding win as well, there was so much class on the pitch!

The noise every time they showed Zola on the screens and when he came on was incredible, loved that he was involved in two goals in his 5 minute appearance.

• Like 2

I had a go at naming those in the picture posted by @JaneB, but I don't know who the man on the front right is.

Kalou Malouda Essien                                               
    Cahill Hilario Mikel                                                                                                                             Flo          Cech
                                                   Maka Terry Gallas  LeBoeuf  Granville Gudjonsen   DiMatteo Casiraghi Cudicini  Lollichon
Hutchinson Harley Morris                           Bertrand   Ramires     Zola       Tiago      Sinclair              ????

Apologies if I have any wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I had a go at naming those in the picture posted by @JaneB, but I don't know who the man on the front right is.

Kalou Malouda Essien                                               
    Cahill Hilario Mikel                                                                                                                             Flo          Cech
                                                   Maka Terry Gallas  LeBoeuf  Granville Gudjonsen   DiMatteo Casiraghi Cudicini  Lollichon
Hutchinson Harley Morris                           Bertrand   Ramires     Zola       Tiago      Sinclair              ????

Apologies if I have any wrong.

I think he's one of the backroom staff they brought in.  Also I think he's next to Maka and Sinclair is next to JT.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

What a brilliant match and a legendary group of players they brought together. As has been said by some, I hope our current crop watch it back and realise quite what the history of this great club is.

First time in ages I've felt a real connection to my team again 💙

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aah, you are right. It should be:

Kalou Malouda Essien                                               
                                                   Sinclair Terry Gallas  LeBoeuf  Granville Gudjonsen   DiMatteo Casiraghi Cudicini  Lollichon
Hutchinson Harley Morris                           Bertrand   Ramires     Zola       Tiago      Makalele              ????

If our new owners have any sense at all they'll do their best to keep these guys connected to the club and give the new players the opportunity to learn off them. The game was just full of emotion and you could tell even though it was a friendly the players were not going to just turn up for the cameras. JT scoring on the 26th min, that's just something for fate. Loved it all.

It was also great seeing Zola, Essien, Ramires, Lebouf, Cahill, and the rest. Mikel is the coolest player ever, always played like he was enjoying the game and not taking things too serious and I like that; because it allowed him to play his own game.

On a seperate note, I was discussing with a mate earlier on how football has changed so much, attacking players are less brave to try new things incase they lose the ball because the other team won't lose it quickly; the game actually has less quality in it because of it. I noticed it when watching the England-Ukraine game, even for the goal Kane dropped into a holding midfield role in order to make a goal; but anywhere in the final third area and the ball didn't even come his way. Keeping the ball has gone too far over the line in which it's now killing the game, I don't know about anyone else but I miss the days of a 'Trequartista' like Zola, Totti, Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Rivaldo, or a drifting player like Cesc, Deco, Veron, Banega, Xavi. Players who were not tactically bound and were just there to make things happen, and everyone had the same aim of moving the ball forwards and scoring. I was sent an old game between Roma and Inter today in which Inter lined up with Baggio, Ronaldo and Zamarano; 2 strikers, 1 trequarista, and 0 defending ability from any of them, and it was great to watch. Also Roma had Totti and that guy was magic; the game finished 4-5 to Inter.

I hope if anything, this new era at Chelsea does what the one before it did, introduce a whole new way of playing by being brave, letting players off their leash and play expressive football; bring the fun back in the game.

Edit: Forgot Jody! Always great seeing him but I also feel sadness too, if he had put his head down like JT the guy would have reached the very top

Edited by Gurj SS
  • Agree 2