Chelsea 0 Aston Villa 1

JaneB

32 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is exactly it , VAR are influencing on field decisions by the referee by continually squawking what they believe is happening into his ear piece  , in essence , refereeing the game for him. 

It's a broken concept and is being used once again to "manage" the outcome of games rather than to officiate them fairly and squarely 

So many things are broken that it's almost not worth the watch , even the offside law operates outside the original purview which was to stop "goal hanging" and has morphed into someone's ass cheek being half an inch in front of someone else. 

Yep. It has had a terrible impact on the game. The most frustrating issue for me is that I genuinely do not think it is hard to get around the constant issues it has had. You hear people talk about ex-plyers being involved, that is just another nonsense, because all ex-players have some sort of allegiance to one of their clubs from their career. We see that on a regular basis with pundits, so I cannot see ex-players being neutral in tight margin situations.

However, they should have had ex-players heavily involved during the whole trial/prototype stage. That's where their knowledge and understanding of the game would have been very useful, in stead we end up with these idiots who know rules and don't know the game, attempting to try and implement something into a game that they do not understand the fine nuances of.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

What I don’t get about VAR is that it just passes human error to…another human. 

And more than that, it is far worse being cheated by someone watching a video. You can excuse real time mistakes with one view.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, east lower said:

Wasn’t the mantra for bringing in technology, ‘to eliminate errors and get consistency’. VAR has resulted in the only consistent thing being the inconsistency of the decisions.

Mantra perhaps.  But very clearly from day one the aim has been to reduce criticism of referees for getting things wrong (as opposed to persuading fans and players that ref errors are just one of the random effects that makes a season of football so much more interesting.

And, all the above hasn’t allowed for any biases that are present in the room at Stockley Park. 

Worse - it makes bias so much easier.  Because Stockley Park will bail refs out from the inexcusable errors while permitting all the exusable bias.

Worst rule change I’ve witnessed in 50 years of playing and watching the game. Technology, such as reviews work in other sports because of their stop/start characteristics, football isn’t suited to it. The clamour for use of technology cranked up after the Lampard non-goal against the German’s and in my view because it embarrassed FIFA, that’s been successfully addressed by Hawkeye, leave it there and let’s get rid of the abomination that is VAR.

Goal line technology I was against, but I was wrong it is good and non-disrupting.

VAR is not all bad.  Offside I reckon is done pretty well.  We had a non-VAR game 2 weeks ago against Brighton and had the famous disallowed goal for offside in our own half  (not sure it was as wildly wrong as some pictures suggest though).

As our coach said “it’s not the vehicle that’s the problem, it’s the driver’s “.

Exactly - it is the refs that run VAR that defeat what could be achieved - remova of bias, safety of the players, safety or kids and amateurs that base their play on what they see professionals do.

Another thing I took from that commentary was that one of the VAR’s operators said ‘chest’ when one of the players controlled the ball. The on-field referees live decision's are also clearly being ‘coached’ also. If the latter occurred during the build-up to a goal, it would be reviewed and no need for comment.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is exactly it , VAR are influencing on field decisions by the referee by continually squawking what they believe is happening into his ear piece  , in essence , refereeing the game for him. 

No.  We are hearing the recording from the Tin Can.  The referee does not hear this unless comments are directed at him (I presume they press a button).
On the other hand the ref can hear anything from linesman or 4th official on the touchline.  I'm pretty sure 4th officials have been influencing decisions for a long long time, well before VAR existed.  I don't think they are supposed to though.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

And more than that, it is far worse being cheated by someone watching a video. You can excuse real time mistakes with one view.

Random errors vs errors from Bias.

5 hours ago, east lower said:

As our coach said “it’s not the vehicle that’s the problem, it’s the driver’s “.

Wasn’t the mantra for bringing in technology, ‘to eliminate errors and get consistency’. VAR has resulted in the only consistent thing being the inconsistency of the decisions.

They’re gerrymandering decisions, clearly getting things wrong each week then hiding behind Webb and his convoluted explanation's and apology’s. The refs won’t vote for getting shot of it, it’s a massive source of additional income for them personally.

Time for the fans to be heard and seen, it’s universally disliked across Europe and one thing I consistently here from fans of ex-PL teams who are relegated into the Championship is how refreshing it is to watch a game with no VAR, to be able to properly celebrate a goal again without the pregnant pause of wondering whether VAR will investigate. 

Worst rule change I’ve witnessed in 50 years of playing and watching the game. Technology, such as reviews work in other sports because of their stop/start characteristics, football isn’t suited to it. The clamour for use of technology cranked up after the Lampard non-goal against the German’s and in my view because it embarrassed FIFA, that’s been successfully addressed by Hawkeye, leave it there and let’s get rid of the abomination that is VAR.

And, all the above hasn’t allowed for any biases that are present in the room at Stockley Park. 

Another thing I took from that commentary was that one of the VAR’s operators said ‘chest’ when one of the players controlled the ball. The on-field referees live decision's are also clearly being ‘coached’ also. If the latter occurred during the build-up to a goal, it would be reviewed and no need for comment.

Spot on. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

What I don’t get about VAR is that it just passes human error to…another human. It’s pointless. Goal-line technology I 💯 agree with but VAR imo is a waste of time.

Unfortunately it’s a multi million pound industry now and is not going anywhere .

Too many pockets laced at FIFA and IFAB for it to disappear.

• Agree 1

It always appears to me that the PG lot rule the game rather than the Official Administration...banging on again but THEY are there for the game not the game there as their fiefdom.

The two disgraceful PUBLIC admissions re Chelsea games are proof enough of the moral corruption of the organisation...organ grinder and assistant come to mind!

"WE interpret the Laws of The Game this way so that is how it is,,until WE decide differently."

The only reason I can see for releasing the Gusto red incident was to "show" how unbiased THEY are and the Liverpool decisions were as "justified" and not "picked" on...strange it should be another Chelsea example...the hair pull is now officially erased from history...never happened along with so many other injustices at all grounds.

Goal line tech works...over or not and not subject to an angle or someone's less than expert opinion.

VAR ?..the drivers..not the bus!

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, chara said:

The only reason I can see for releasing the Gusto red incident was to "show" how unbiased THEY are and the Liverpool decisions were as "justified" and not "picked" on...strange it should be another Chelsea example...the hair pull is now officially erased from history...never happened along with so many other injustices at all grounds.

It certainly puts the Jones Red into perspective.
But then the Jones debate clarifies the Gusto nonsense too.

• Agree 2