Chelsea 0 Aston Villa 1

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 14:00 hours on Sunday, 24th September 2023 (Local UK time/date)

8 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

It's just become such a habit over 23 years that I can't help myself. I'll be there again, and just forget how bad we have been doing, and keep deluding myself that we are CHELSEA and "we're going to come good THIS time". 

long term contract

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, asvaberg said:

Way too early, Mark.

The optimist in me fancy a colossal win for us - the Ketchup effect 🙂 

The floodgates will open .  I admire your optimism . 

It should be a tight game as we undoubtedly will have four defenders and two holding midfielders in our own half all game with four nominal attackers fighting manfully whilst being outnumbered every time they have the possession of the football with nobody to pass to. 

Caicedo who should be back will be the difference maker , setting at least one goal up for a Villa side who won't even have to work hard for the win. 

• Haha 2

If Villa have watched any of our games, they will set up with a 4-5-1 and look to score on the counter. We will have a lot of possession, complete a lot of passes, generate a decent amount of chances, but no one has the confidence to shoot and would hit the woodwork or straight at the GK if they did. Villa will get a second-half goal through Watkins and Poch will replace Mudryck with Maatsen at LW and Colwill with Chlwell at LB. 

• Agree 1

I see nothing but a Villa win and a comfortable one at that. They’re now a well organised side with players capable of putting the ball in the net. 

My prediction is we’ll huff and puff for 20 mins, then concede and the game will be over.

Genuinely, if Poch picks Colwill at LB ahead of Chilwell again, I’m going to struggle to back him going forward.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I see nothing but a Villa win and a comfortable one at that. They’re now a well organised side with players capable of putting the ball in the net. 

My prediction is we’ll huff and puff for 20 mins, then concede and the game will be over.

Genuinely, if Poch picks Colwill at LB ahead of Chilwell again, I’m going to struggle to back him going forward.

Same here and he will.

52 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

We just need to turn the huff and puff section into a goal, but we just make a meal of it every time. 

We are 8 points off 4th, and the teams in the Top 4 keep winning every week, even when under the cosh they are coming back from behind etc. I think we have to be honest that it's already over. Even if we stretch it out to 5th for potential CL qualification, we are 7 points off that, and the team there keeps winning every week too. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

But why does he? I cant get my head around that. 

None of us can get our head around it. I think we know the most likely answer is that Colwill was guaranteed minutes and now we're finding a way to accommodate him.  

He needs to play CB especially whilst Badiashille is out.. Badiashille the one player who really shone last season..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, blueboy1905 said:

Aston Villa are capable of scoring goals, we are not. A nailed on win for them. Crowd will turn on the owners. It's already started where I sit in the MHL.

The first sentence will be why we won’t win this one, unless there’s a complete change of philosophy from our management team. 

I also sit in the MHL and although there are some unhappy souls near me (mind you they’re built that way) there’s not many who have started raving at the West Stand Exec Boxes as yet. Might not be too long though!

44 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

None of us can get our head around it. I think we know the most likely answer is that Colwill was guaranteed minutes and now we're finding a way to accommodate him.  

He needs to play CB especially whilst Badiashille is out.. Badiashille the one player who really shone last season..

The left-back situation has received a lot of attention, but I think that the no.10 position is really where we are missing out. How many times did we get a chance to run at the defence yesterday, with plenty of runners ahead but no one to pick the pass.

Enzo needs to play deep, alongside either Gallagher, Caicedo or Ugochukwa. Then we have plenty of runners - Mudryk, Jackson, Sterling - but no one to play them in. This was supposed to be Nkunku's role, or Chukwuemeka. Now the best chance we have is to play Palmer there. Until we have someone other than Enzo in the team who can pick a pass, we're really going to struggle to make the most of our possession.

I don't understand the Colwill over Chilwell, but it's a red herring. We should have scored at least three goals yesterday, and if we had a number 10 it could have been a lot more. Then nobody would care who is and who isn't playing at left-back.

• Like 3