International Football

JaneB

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I really have no interest whatsoever these days in international football. In fact the older I get I find myself having little interest in football generally aside from Chelsea. Grumpy old git syndrome I guess.

Know the feeling HM....strange or perhaps not...as a younger chap(!) went to all sorts of games (Reading/West Ham preseason about '72 for example! )just to watch THE game..same with playing..from a cow meadow kick around with farm lads in wellies to more prestigous tourneys! ...was all the same ,,just the game,,,, now Internationals if I can watch without hassle looking for coverage or not interrupting life's endless trivial tasks.

I decided I'd had enough of England Internationals when the England fans decided to boo Ashley Cole about fifteen years ago. I think my life improved as a result of that decision. I no longer spend hours watching slow, low-intensity football against minnows only to get beaten by the first decent opposition we meet. The football I can live with but the endless hyping of the players is a step too far.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I decided I'd had enough of England Internationals when the England fans decided to boo Ashley Cole about fifteen years ago. I think my life improved as a result of that decision. I no longer spend hours watching slow, low-intensity football against minnows only to get beaten by the first decent opposition we meet. The football I can live with but the endless hyping of the players is a step too far.

Nice post Sciatika.... have to agree ...living close to Wembley I went to many England games and always seemed "special" if not spectacular..perhaps saturation coverage of games and the minutia of players lives has taken a shine off the occasions as well. (Plus cookie cutter copy of tactics for nearly every game..a trend in EPL as well.)

Big personalities...Moore, the  Charltons (elsewhere Pele and a host of amazing players)through to more recent but now distant days.... now?...Jack Grealish ?...Declan ? and so on?.... "arry and Hurst?"..... OG ramblings I know but the point is obvious..... Sir Alf and Gareth?.... 

The England U21s are an absolute joy to watch.  9-1 winners v Serbia. 

Noni with two excellent goals and an all round brilliant display. 

One slight negative..... Palmer went off with what looked like a dead leg. 

Bash Humphreys excellent too. 

Has anyone seen the Scotland fiasko? A legitimate goal ruled out by VAR. Scotland players say the ref told them it was a foul and then changed his mind to say they are reviewing for offisde!!! Daylight robbery.

Similar to France v Ireland

22 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Didn’t watch England last night, I struggle to watch the qualifiers and rarely do, but pointless friendlies during the season are too much for me, they are just not needed.

International tournaments I love though.

An absolute borefest last night watched in almost total silence by 80000 "supporters".

The quality of football throughout by both teams was really poor. 

On 09/10/2023 at 13:28, Holymoly said:

I really have no interest whatsoever these days in international football. In fact the older I get I find myself having little interest in football generally aside from Chelsea. Grumpy old git syndrome I guess.

I'm the same but I don't put it down to becoming a grumpy, old git.

There are many reasons why I no longer have the same level of interest in football.

In no particular order.

The pressing game makes it less enjoyable to watch. Teams play like they've been coached to death leading to a lack of variety in playing styles. Even the likes of Brazil and Holland are no longer different from the rest.

Obscene wages and transfer fees for a lot of average players. Prices of tickets. 

Revolting  Oil states owning clubs.

Politics being dragged into the sport. Not just Politics, but it now finds itself supporting an extremist organisation which supports terrorism. 

Lack of real characters and star players.

VAR.

Far too much football being played.

Over exposure and the game being taken too seriously.

Also, as I grow older I now find myself enjoying other, more relaxing things in life. Amongst other things,  I like to relax by watching nature and animal videos on YouTube. The wonderful ChooChoo's Story where a couple living on the edge of a Forest have adorable Chipmunks come to their house for food. Squirrells At The Window which is just a woman who feeds  Squirrels at her window. Also enjoy camping and trecking videos. South Korean Carom Billiards.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I'm the same but I don't put it down to becoming a grumpy, old git.

There are many reasons why I no longer have the same level of interest in football.

In no particular order.

The pressing game makes it less enjoyable to watch. Teams play like they've been coached to death leading to a lack of variety in playing styles. Even the likes of Brazil and Holland are no longer different from the rest.

Obscene wages and transfer fees for a lot of average players. Prices of tickets. 

Revolting  Oil states owning clubs.

Politics being dragged into the sport. Not just Politics, but it now finds itself supporting an extremist organisation which supports terrorism. 

Lack of real characters and star players.

VAR.

Far too much football being played.

Over exposure and the game being taken too seriously.

Also, as I grow older I now find myself enjoying other, more relaxing things in life. Amongst other things,  I like to relax by watching nature and animal videos on YouTube. The wonderful ChooChoo's Story where a couple living on the edge of a Forest have adorable Chipmunks come to their house for food. Squirrells At The Window which is just a woman who feeds  Squirrels at her window. Also enjoy camping and trecking videos. South Korean Carom Billiards.

M Knight Shyamalan level plot twist in this football post 😉

• Haha 1

The whole post seems to end in amusing self-satire, so it might be satire throughout, but I'm puzzled by this.  Football seems to be doing its absolute best to resist pressure to take sides on this.  
FA are showing a lot more spine that some of their accusers.

Edited by Dwmh

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It was horrendous wasnt it? 

Two sides bereft of skill or guile. 

It was like watching the "late" Saturday game between ..say...Wolves and Burnley (example only) both at their worst and wondering when the game would ever end.. 0-0 with maximum  added time..at least there was a goal yesterday but boring,pointless and important players for their clubs not really top tier International players at risk of injury for nothing..if Gareth doesn't know his squad without playing such games and line ups perhaps he is in the wrong job you think?

Interesting that the keeper OUR keeper replaced was playing !

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, chara said:

It was like watching the "late" Saturday game between ..say...Wolves and Burnley (example only) both at their worst and wondering when the game would ever end.. 0-0 with maximum  added time..at least there was a goal yesterday but boring,pointless and important players for their clubs not really top tier International players at risk of injury for nothing..if Gareth doesn't know his squad without playing such games and line ups perhaps he is in the wrong job you think?

Interesting that the keeper OUR keeper replaced was playing !

The England U21 side this week looked like a well drilled squad with an attacking ethos and flair all over the pitch. They were sublime.

How does Gareth Southgate manage to waste generation after generation of talent and why has the FA allowed it for so long?

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

The whole post seems to end in amusing self-satire, so it might be satire throughout, but I'm puzzled by this.  Football seems to be doing its absolute best to resist pressure to take sides on this.  
FA are showing a lot more spine that some of their accusers.

With respect, I think you are missing the point of that particular point I made. It's not about the FA and this war, it's about Footbal in general in this country,  which has fully supported the BLM movement knowing full well they're a Marxist,  extremely anti Western movement. This movement have now openly supported Hammas with thatl  official tweet of a Parachutist. 

Btw. The FA have never hesitated to take sides before, so why now?  I say that even though I think they're right in not taking sides, but that's my  point about bloody  politics being dragged into football. They should never have stared doing it in the first place!

The rest of the post were just honest reasons for why I no longer love football as much as I once did.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ham said:

The England U21 side this week looked like a well drilled squad with an attacking ethos and flair all over the pitch. They were sublime.

How does Gareth Southgate manage to waste generation after generation of talent and why has the FA allowed it for so long?

Good questions...maybe fear of failure is the underlaying cause with Gareth....over simplification as ever but it seems to me..what do I know...that there never appears to be a fear factor for the opposition with any side he puts out...forget the ridculous San Marino type fixtures.

Unfortunately missed the U21 games...I need to be a bit more alert and check those fixtures.

We all have different views on the "new" Chelsea but at least there appears to be an effort to get in youngsters with flair potential.'

Watching THE flair player for England..or so I have been told he is...waste time and stop start almost as if he was doing the side a favour turning out rather focused my mind on other things as the game progressed (is that an oxymoron?)

Pehaps the FA allow it because after forever they still suffer from the Trauma of bringing in Sir Alf who rightly or wrongly did it his way so many years ago...something any jobs worth bureaucracy is terrified of....OG rambling but..

43 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Btw. The FA have never hesitated to take sides before, so why now?  I say that even though I think they're right in not taking sides, but that's my  point about bloody  politics being dragged into football. They should never have stared doing it in the first place!

Lots to pick through daintily.
I agree right to stay out.
I'd also point out that anyone who has walked through a UK university town or city in the last 40 years knows there are two sides to current issues.
But this is in stark contrast to almost any other dispute of any other nature where only a small minority knows more than Sky news broadcasts.  Such as BLM or the war where they have turned the TV cameras off already.  
Yes they should never have started in politics, but no I don't think they had a clue what they were doing.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2023 at 16:53, boratsbrother said:

The rest of the post were just honest reasons for why I no longer love football as much as I once did.

Forgot to include Aquariums, Vivariums and Paludariums amongst my new interests.

Tanks have come a very long way since the days of just putting fish in tanks with a plant or two. There's a lot of talented people creating beautiful, fantastic tanks for creatures to live a great life in. Poison Dart Frogs and Vampire Crabs are a particular favourite of mine.🙂

Id love to have a go at building my own tank but it's quite a daunting task to get right at the first time of asking . I'd hate to get it wrong and causing the death of the creatures.

ps. Sorry for going way off topic, but it's a slow week, soni hope you don't mind too much.🙂

12 hours ago, chara said:

My word @boratsbrother....I read Poison Dart Frogs and Spuds came to mind immediately and Vampire Crabs the red scouse lot...unbidden and deliciously appropriate!

😄

I must say chara, you have a much more fertile imagination than I do!

If I was to think of those mobs as animals it would have to be Skunks and Sewer Rats.😁 Certainly not the beautiful and wonderful Poison Dart Frogs and Vampire Crabs.😁

😄

I must say chara, you have a much more fertile imagination than I do!

If I was to think of those mobs as animals it would have to be Skunks and Sewer Rats.😁 Certainly not the beautiful and wonderful Poison Dart Frogs and Vampire Crabs.😁

Ah..an apology bb...beauty of course is in the eye etc....  I unfortunately insulted two entirely unknown species to whom I offer my apologies as well!

Hmm ..having been acquainted with sewer rats and unfortunately skunks...bring more terror to most with dogs in the great Colorado outdoors than coyotes bears and lions!!!.... I can agree with your mind view!😅

Mind you did have a nasty confrontation with a possum..they are nasty little things...brings to mind a player or two.and a team or two !