CFCnet 23/24 awards - voting OPEN! ×

International Football

JaneB

4 minutes ago, east lower said:

You forgot Doug (the thug) Rougvie from the list!!! 😉 Speedie, Durie, Wee Pat and Colin Pates partner at the back Joe McGaughlin. We had good players from north of our border all the way into the 90’s when that talent pool seemed to dry-up.

European influence increased that perhaps stunted the development of the Scots youngsters?

The Souness era Scottish team were formidable, but in my view punched below their weight.

And John Spencer

Having brought up Souness - What a player, had the lot. Might not last long in the pitch these days, but absolutely marvellous player , my ideal midfielder.

Plus now, I really like listening to him. You can see and almost touch the disdain that he has for certain aspects of modern-day football and footballers at times. 

One negative being he did play for that red mob and spuds.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, east lower said:

You forgot Doug (the thug) Rougvie from the list!!! 😉 Speedie, Durie, Wee Pat and Colin Pates partner at the back Joe McGaughlin. We had good players from north of our border all the way into the 90’s when that talent pool seemed to dry-up.

European influence increased that perhaps stunted the development of the Scots youngsters?

The Souness era Scottish team were formidable, but in my view punched below their weight.

Ah EL..I purposely left DR from the list..wondered who might have a fond memory or two...mine is listening to two OG's discussing the giant,,,mixed opinions as ever but the previous week he played at CH against Soton,,,and did a pretty good job against their fearsome CF.(?🧌),

Agree absolutely with your breakdown.....always worth a quiet look back.

Hoped for the fond responses by all..Thank you...you never disappoint!

Edited by chara

2 hours ago, chara said:

Ah EL..I purposely left DR from the list..wondered who might have a fond memory or two...mine is listening to two OG's discussing the giant,,,mixed opinions as ever but the previous week he played at CH against Soton,,,and did a pretty good job against their fearsome CF.(?🧌),

Mr Rougvie always got there………….in the end and in his own metronomic way (one paced). 

The ball was incidental and what happened with it when he did have it was a bit haphazard.

But I did think that centre-half suited his, shall we call it ‘skill-set’, than full-back did. 

Imagine being a winger and up against you there was Rougvie and Joey Jones!! Do a hammy or back in the warm up?

🎶 Joey’s gonna get you, Joey’s gonna get you🎶

Edited by east lower
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chara said:

image.jpeg.5f0c8003d81d564171ea9c9523d0a860.jpeg

This one?

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Yeah, in its day that was one of the genuinely great rivalries in football. Rivalries as they should be, fierce and full of passion with both teams  and fans desperate to put one over the other, but never degenerating into stupid hatred.

Scotland produced some wonderful players back then as well with the top teams having Scottish players in them.  Shame they don't produce top quality players any more.

One fond memory I have of them was the 78 World Cup. They had a genuinely top  quality team but way over did the hype before leaving for Argentina, with some fans and media saying  they might even win it. Like many others I was laughing my ass off when they played a stinker in the opening ganes with Ally McCloud tearing his hair out on the touchline. They had to beat the magnificent Dutch team in their final group game to go thru to the next stages. In that game they finally showed what a quality team they had and webf 3-1 up at one stage, tearing the Dutch apart with great football. I remember watching it with my dad as we went from laughing at them to cheering them on and jumping out of our chairs when Archie Gemmil put them 3-1 up. Sadly it didn't last and they were knocked out, but they went out with their heads held high🙂

Their Argentina nightmare was of course payback for one of the most notorious handball decisions in football history.

11 hours ago, east lower said:

We also had other forgotten players like John McNaught, David Hopkin and the woeful Tommy Bod, we would have been better off signing his former Magpie presenting namesake instead!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

We also had other forgotten players like John McNaught, David Hopkin and the woeful Tommy Bod, we would have been better off signing his former Magpie presenting namesake instead!

Remember the first two, but not Mr Bod. Probably best by the sounds of things!

21 minutes ago, east lower said:

Remember the first two, but not Mr Bod. Probably best by the sounds of things!

I'm assuming Boyd unless this fella featured for us

Screenshot_20240328_200838_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a2c39439b86a0bb2091d94d3291bc388.jpg

• Haha 1

On 28/03/2024 at 19:33, Sciatika said:

More recently, Billy Gilmour, of course. Has anyone mentioned Craig Burley? I tried to forget him too.

Craig Burley what an absolute  pile of s**t!  Couldn't pass wind and still bitter and twisted at being let go.

Edited by blueandproud
  • Agree 1

On 28/03/2024 at 08:07, east lower said:

Having brought up Souness - What a player, had the lot. Might not last long in the pitch these days, but absolutely marvellous player , my ideal midfielder.

Plus now, I really like listening to him. You can see and almost touch the disdain that he has for certain aspects of modern-day football and footballers at times. 

One negative being he did play for that red mob and spuds.

Totally agree, Graeme Souness was a magnificent player, and for me Jimmy Case was a far dirtier player and nobody ever mentions that.  I also think he was a great pundit too, telling it like it is, and his contempt at times for the modern game and players is totally justified, unlike so-called younger pundits who never say a bad word about their mates.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Totally agree, Graeme Souness was a magnificent player, and for me Jimmy Case was a far dirtier player and nobody ever mentions that.  I also think he was a great pundit too, telling it like it is, and his contempt at times for the modern game and players is totally justified, unlike so-called younger pundits who never say a bad word about their mates.

Steve McMahon put it about a bit too.

35 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Mind you,, like Bryan Robson and Paul Ince he would start whingeing and complaining to the referee when he got kicked back.

Vinny’s ‘welcome to the Cup Final’ tackle on him was a wonder to behold. 

40 minutes ago, east lower said:

Funny .....started watching The Gentlemen" last night... Vinny with a supporting role.

1 minute ago, chara said:

Funny .....started watching The Gentlemen" last night... Vinny with a supporting role.

He’s done very well for himself, ex-hoddy turned professional footballer, turned Hollywood film/TV star.

20 hours ago, east lower said:

Mind you, if he tried that on Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Dave Mackay, Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles ,Graeeme Souness, Norman Hunter or Billy Bonds, the next challenge would have been the end of Vinny Jones' football career

• Agree 1