JaneB

Matchday prediction  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Luton win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/12/23 at 11:30

On 31/12/2023 at 22:18, paulw66 said:

Well, if Fofana gets fit, we'll have Fofana, Disasi, Badiashile and Colwill, plus potentially Gilchrist. 

Which one is those CB is a potential leader & Organizer of the back line? 

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Based on the current squad given to Poch, 54pts or above will be and outstanding performance by the coach.

Do you rate Poch as a top coach?.Apologies if you have already said so.Judge Poch on what we have NOW.

Judge what he has done with the players we have available now.You seem to have a problem with the owners - I share your concern,but Poch is the problem NOW.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

Do you rate Poch as a top coach?.Apologies if you have already said so.Judge Poch on what we have NOW.

Judge what he has done with the players we have available now.You seem to have a problem with the owners - I share your concern,but Poch is the problem NOW.

Disagree,

If Poch had input to the squad then you could blame him, however the squad was assembled by lazy scouts "called sporting directors", data analysts and the Owners ego trips.

8 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Disagree,

If Poch had input to the squad then you could blame him, however the squad was assembled by lazy scouts "called sporting directors", data analysts and the Owners ego trips.

If all you say is true it doesn't get away from the fact that he hasn't a clue with the players he has.

6 minutes ago, kev61 said:

If all you say is true it doesn't get away from the fact that he hasn't a clue with the players he has.

Not to linger on this point, however was it coincidence that many of the top coaches available in the summer gave the project a wide berth.

Don't get me wrong I am not Poch's greatest fan and he is always going to be a bridesmaid however, I cannot lambast him when he was probably the best of the rest to coach the squad provided to him by the club.

Look on the bright side the most he can stay is another 18 months 😀

Edited by ROTG

8 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Not to linger on this point, however was it coincidence that many of the top coaches available in the summer gave the project a wide berth.

Don't get me wrong I am not Poch's greatest fan and he is always going to be a bridesmaid however, I cannot lambast him when he was probably the best of the rest to coach the squad provided to him by the club.

Look on the bright side the most he can stay is another 18 months 😀

You heard it here first.I need to put my head in a bucket of water to get back to reality.

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

You heard it here first.I need to put my head in a bucket of water to get back to reality.

dipper 30 years to win the PL

The Arse 20 and counting

ManUre 12 and counting

Chelsea 7 and counting

Its a long a windy road😀

And we are discussing this after beating Luton 😳

Edited by ROTG

37 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Disagree,

Why didn't he win anything at Spurs ?

Why did he come third in a two horse race?

He's a coward , that's why .

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why didn't he win anything at Spurs ?

Why did he come third in a two horse race?

He's a coward , that's why .

At the other clubs he had input into the squad and therefore he can be slated, how much input did he have in the Chelsea squad?

Should he be backed this month and no change then he can be slated if no change, however its not his squad or team

Just now, ROTG said:

At the other clubs he had input into the squad and therefore he can be slated, how much input did he have in the Chelsea squad?

Should he be backed this month and no change then he can be slated if no change, however its not his squad or team

Mate , he came second in France with a far superior squad than anyone outside the Premier League ,the mans a waste of skin .

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Look forget about everything beyond his control.The FACT is he is making a dogs dinner with the players at his disposal.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Mate , he came second in France with a far superior squad than anyone outside the Premier League ,the mans a waste of skin .

If you want to improve the current squad, the club need to hire Bielsa

8 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Look forget about everything beyond his control.The FACT is he is making a dogs dinner with the players at his disposal.

If you want to improve the current squad, the club need to hire Bielsa

43 minutes ago, ROTG said:

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

So what is your prediction for total points this season?

I think we'll pick up far more points in the second half of the season so I'd say mid 60s. 

• Thanks 1

I'm back at work after Christmas so got the opportunity to watch the extended highlights and I have to say that the defending was absolutely ludicrous again. 

For someone who evidently doesn't coach the attack and is an ex centre half he cannot coach defence either. 

Literally anyone could get a better tune out of this squad other than Southgate, another fraud beloved by the media

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I think we'll pick up far more points in the second half of the season so I'd say mid 60s. 

Based on the last 6 points we picked up - 89th min penalty and out played by Luton - low 50s is much more likely.

We have just seen three of our best 5 finishes all season used in one game and still beat Luton by only the odd goal.
Does anyone think we will get many more of them?

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

Based on the last 6 points we picked up - 89th min penalty and out played by Luton - low 50s is much more likely.

We have just seen three of our best 5 finishes all season used in one game and still beat Luton by only the odd goal.
Does anyone think we will get many more of them?

Man City and Arsenal only beat Luton by the odd goal in December too.   Luton also beat Sheff Utd and Newcastle last month, and beat Palace and drew with Liverpool in November.   No shame in a close win against them on their own patch. 

The teams 4th to 9th in the table immediately above us are not firing on all cylinders either.   No idea what our points tally will be, but we should definitely be eyeing up spots 7,8 and 9. 

image.png.68015cced356d33c7d367fc74518cba3.png

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

“Outplayed by Luton” 

for 20 minutes of a 100 minute game, For the other 80 minutes, they had literally nothing, other than a couple of set pieces we carelessly gave away.

No it’s not ideal and it is Luton, but let’s not make stuff up.

51% possession to Luton is the main clue.  and xG.
And all this despite them having the big disadvantage of being a goal down early and 2 down H1.

nice win, and great finishing, but lets not pretend we played at all well outside the finishing or that Luton weren't much better.

[for those that don't like xG I'm guessing it is precisely the objectivity of xG over random subjective opinions that people hate.]

3 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The teams 4th to 9th in the table immediately above us are not firing on all cylinders either.   No idea what our points tally will be, but we should definitely be eyeing up spots 7,8 and 9. 

Those teams have slowed down, we are on a roll.  Do you rally think that is going to continue for the rest of the season?
I don't.

17 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

51% possession to Luton is the main clue.  and xG.
And all this despite them having the big disadvantage of being a goal down early and 2 down H1.

nice win, and great finishing, but lets not pretend we played at all well outside the finishing or that Luton weren't much better.

[for those that don't like xG I'm guessing it is precisely the objectivity of xG over random subjective opinions that people hate.]

Those teams have slowed down, we are on a roll.  Do you rally think that is going to continue for the rest of the season?
I don't.

51% possession doesn't really scream "outplayed" to me. They had some decent chances and possession once we were 3-0 up. We dominated the game for 70 minutes and at 3-0, were already on the bus home.

As for xG, I know you are a fan. I'm not. It's only useful if you have lost. 

51% possession doesn't really scream "outplayed" to me. They had some decent chances and possession once we were 3-0 up. We dominated the game for 70 minutes and at 3-0, were already on the bus home.

It does for me.  Luton average 36.5%.  Before this game we averaged 60%  

We dominated this game for 3 minutes - the minutes we scored.  We really created nothing else.

As for xG, I know you are a fan. I'm not. It's only useful if you have lost. 

interesting idea.  But what you mean is that it can be a good reason to explain that you have lost despite not actually doing that badly.

But Luton lost.  on xG they "won" 2.64 - 1.57.  
That would have been even wider but Cole's Palmer 2nd goal is given an xG of 0.93 (better than a penalty) because it is taken from the final tap in, but as far as most are concerned it was a much tougher chance than just a tap-in.

It is fair to say we are overdue some luck, and have had plenty of better performances that didn't result in wins.  Yes this was payback.

But quite false to say we played well against Luton - they were much better than us.  By xG, by my subjective eye as well

If it is useful to understand the game when a team loses it has to be useful when the opponent loses too.

25 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

It does for me.  Luton average 36.5%.  Before this game we averaged 60%  

We dominated this game for 3 minutes - the minutes we scored.  We really created nothing else.

interesting idea.  But what you mean is that it can be a good reason to explain that you have lost despite not actually doing that badly.

But Luton lost.  on xG they "won" 2.64 - 1.57.  
That would have been even wider but Cole's Palmer 2nd goal is given an xG of 0.93 (better than a penalty) because it is taken from the final tap in, but as far as most are concerned it was a much tougher chance than just a tap-in.

It is fair to say we are overdue some luck, and have had plenty of better performances that didn't result in wins.  Yes this was payback.

But quite false to say we played well against Luton - they were much better than us.  By xG, by my subjective eye as well

If it is useful to understand the game when a team loses it has to be useful when the opponent loses too.

This also goes the other way, some games we dominated xG but we lost.

I think xG has to be taken into context with watching the actual game and seeing what's what. We definitely dominated ALL first half and were comfortably 2-0 up at HT. 

2nd half we definitely could have done better with game management as we were poor giving away possesion cheaply with Broja super frustrating who could not cling on the ball, hold it up and bring up the pitch. But this was very even still. The only period were Luton dominated was about 10 mins at the end during which window they scored an offiside goal and these two goals that stood. That's where pretty much all of their xG come from.

It's true that we need to adjust our hold up play, concentration and that 10 min period being able to "suffer" these moments out as some of our previous coaches say 🙂

But overall we totally deserve the win over Luton.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Bones said:

Should give us all a bit more confidence with the upcoming matches against PNE and Middlesbrough as they are the same level as Luton. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bones said:

I think xG has to be taken into context with watching the actual game and seeing what's what. We definitely dominated ALL first half and were comfortably 2-0 up at HT. 

2nd half we definitely could have done better with game management as we were poor giving away possesion cheaply with Broja super frustrating who could not cling on the ball, hold it up and bring up the pitch. But this was very even still. The only period were Luton dominated was about 10 mins at the end during which window they scored an offiside goal and these two goals that stood. That's where pretty much all of their xG come from.

It's true that we need to adjust our hold up play, concentration and that 10 min period being able to "suffer" these moments out as some of our previous coaches say 🙂

Is a fair assessment of what actually happened.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Should give us all a bit more confidence with the upcoming matches against PNE and Middlesbrough as they are the same level as Luton. 

As I understand it the club has written to the FA and asked for the opposition to be upgraded to Bayern Munich and Barcelona . 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Bones said:

25 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Is a fair assessment of what actually happened.

Then we simply disagree on what we saw.  I saw a very poor performance against an opposition that won all the 50/50s.

35 minutes ago, Bones said:

Absolutely.  Frequently.
I keep repeating my mantra  Player prices > player quality > player performances > team performance > xG - xGA > GF - GA > points achieved
Which implies we have been poor at every part of the game.

In this game the last 3, indeedd IMO 4 parts of that have been reversed.

Whether that is a one off event or a new trend is to be seen.