Official: Enzo Maresca announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

Chelsea Football Club have officially announced that Enzo Maresca will be the clubs new Head Coach.

The official announcement is here.

MARESCA HERO

Playing Career Highlights

Starting Out and Juventus Adventures: Enzo kicked off his professional journey with West Bromwich Albion in 1998. His talent quickly caught the eye of Italian giants Juventus, who signed him in 2000. While his time at Juve included loan spells at Bologna and Piacenza, he made memorable contributions, including a dramatic equaliser in the Derby della Mole against Torino.

Triumphs in Spain with Sevilla: In 2005, Enzo moved to Sevilla and truly hit his stride. Over four years, he helped the team clinch two UEFA Cups and a UEFA Super Cup, with his standout moment being a Man of the Match performance in the 2006 UEFA Cup Final where he scored twice.

A Storied Journey: Maresca’s career also saw him playing for Olympiacos in Greece, Málaga in Spain, and various Italian clubs like Fiorentina, Sampdoria, and Palermo. Known for his versatility and playmaking skills, he retired in 2017 after an almost two-decade-long career.

Transition to Management

Early Coaching Days and Manchester City: Enzo started his coaching career at Ascoli in 2017. In 2020, he joined Manchester City, managing their Elite Development Squad. Under his guidance, the squad won the Premier League 2 title, demonstrating his ability to nurture and develop young talent.

Parma and Return to Man City: In 2021, Enzo took on the role of head coach at Parma in Serie B. Despite a challenging season, his leadership was evident. He then returned to Manchester City as an assistant to Pep Guardiola, learning from one of the best in the business.

Leicester City Success: In June 2023, Enzo took charge of Leicester City. His impact was immediate and impressive. He led the team to a Championship title, securing promotion back to the Premier League. With a record of 36 wins out of 53 matches, his leadership earned him four EFL Championship Manager of the Month awards for August, October, December 2023, and April 2024.

Style of Management

Enzo Maresca is known for his dynamic and tactical approach to management. His style emphasizes:

• Versatility and Adaptability: Drawing from his own playing experience, Enzo is adept at deploying players in various roles to maximize their potential.
  • Youth Development: His tenure with Manchester City’s Elite Development Squad highlighted his skill in nurturing young talent and integrating them into senior roles.
  • Tactical Intelligence: Enzo brings a keen eye for strategy, often implementing flexible formations that adapt to the flow of the game.
  • Offensive Play: He favours a high-tempo, attacking style of play, encouraging creativity and quick transitions.

Welcome to the club Enzo!

• Like 2

I’m just glad it’s announced, I’ve had the post ready waiting to go live for over a week now!

He’ll have my backing and I’ll hope once again that he’ll be a long term head coach for us!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, chara said:

I think he has everyone's backing...we are all Chelsea..it's in his court to prove he deserves it.

The only Italian we have had without any trophees as manager for Chelsea is Ranieri, but he was a trophy on his own 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, chara said:

Unlike Alexa who was telling me TT was coach!

thats not Alexa it sir Alex telling you the next manager of ManUre 

time of a drop of olive oil down the lugholes 😀

• Haha 2

Just now, Sciatika said:

He will have my full support and even be allowed to make a few mistakes on the way. If he turns out to be the toad, he will be our toad.

Usual wise words .... The Poch never felt like "Our" anything. Ranieri however felt like "Our" Tinkerman as reflected by the huge amount of respect and affection shown on here of late ..and in the past.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Talk about blindsided , why didn't someone say something beforehand?

A new new start 

onwards and upwards Forza Maresca!

Enzo Maresca

Enzo Maresca,

He came from Leicester,

He loves his pasta

His hair's non-existent 

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, chara said:

Unlike Alexa who was telling me TT was coach!

Alexa should stick to women's sport

😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Welcome Enzo Maresca!

This is undoubtedly a big gamble by the club and I truly hope it pays off. 

I am not approaching this as I did with Poch or any other coach we have hired up to now. This is  an appointment will test whether the current overall club model works. If it does not pay off, then the vast, vast  majority of my critique will be reserved for the sporting directors and those higher up.

Maresca will not be immune from critique, but he's only going to be implementing exactly what he's been told to do.  We know exactly what we're getting  in terms of tactics and systems. There will be no surprises in how we play, and this is actually alluded to in the statement.

This is a sporting director and club strategy appointment. Therefore the success or failure of Maresca will be either an affirmation or refutation of this strategy.

Very well put and I completely agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Welcome Enzo Maresca!

This is undoubtedly a big gamble by the club and I truly hope it pays off. 

I am not approaching this as I did with Poch or any other coach we have hired up to now. This is  an appointment will test whether the current overall club model works. If it does not pay off, then the vast, vast  majority of my critique will be reserved for the sporting directors and those higher up.

Maresca will not be immune from critique, but he's only going to be implementing exactly what he's been told to do.  We know exactly what we're getting  in terms of tactics and systems. There will be no surprises in how we play, and this is actually alluded to in the statement.

This is a sporting director and club strategy appointment. Therefore the success or failure of Maresca will be either an affirmation or refutation of this strategy.

Yes, indeed.

The funny thing is, he could start the season with a fully fit Lavia, Nkunku, James (albeit 3 game ban) and Fofana, and we could look an entirely different prospect. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'm pleased to see Willy Cabellero back at the club as well, I always liked him when he was here as a player.

Not my top keeper pick by any means but he felt like a Chelsea man I did "like" him....TC was at least twice the keeper but half the Chelsea man ..at least!

• Like 3

Fight, spirit and pride for the shirt, club, fans and each other.

Organisation, steel, leadership and a defined system/pattern of play/philosophy.

Round pegs in round holes.

Tactical bravery with common sense. 

Good luck, Enzo. Wishing you every success. 

Let’s do this. 🎯🫡🩶

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I just hope your English is better than Poch's.

I always got the sense that Poch's English got better or worse depending how taxing the question was...

• Haha 2