R.I.P. Tributes (non-Chelsea related)

JaneB

Yep very sad.  From a time when it was OK to like rival team's players he was universally liked and respected.  

Wonderful footballer.  Seemed like a nice bloke too.  RIP Trevor. 

• Agree 1

Her son killing himself last year would appear to have been the final straw. Very ill for years. 

She used to live with her Nan on my Nan's street in Dublin before she was famous and she hung around with my cousin as a punk on Grafton Street before she became famous. 

On 24/07/2023 at 16:12, Mark Kelly said:

Very saddened by Trevor Francis' passing , great player , seemed like a nice guy .

I remember Trevor Francis at Forest and Birmingham City. He had a distinctive round-shouldered gait, but was quick and skilful. RIP Trevor.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, JaneB said:

RIP Parkie.

Happy to let his guests speak instead of making it all about him.  

Thank goodness we can look back on so many memorable interviews.

Spot on Jane..a source of pleasure and enjoyment for us all through his career..I remember with great affection his weekly sports related column in the Sunday Times before he hit the silver screen....a humorous and deep seated love of sport always on show..comes to mind his theory as to why Sir Alf dispensed with wingers..pure gold.

• Like 1

RIP Parkie!

A true great of British broadcasting! Back in days when tv chat could be be silly fun (see his classic interview with Rod Hull and Emu) but also very interesting and informative, unlike today where everything is reduced to getting a cheap laugh. 

Though they were different types of broadcasters who made different types of shows, I'd also include the likes of David Frost, Alan Wicker and Clive James to the list of those who were brilliant at talking to people from all walks of life. 

They just don't make me like that anymore!

Edited by boratsbrother

On 26/07/2023 at 21:33, Ham said:

Her son killing himself last year would appear to have been the final straw. Very ill for years. 

She used to live with her Nan on my Nan's street in Dublin before she was famous and she hung around with my cousin as a punk on Grafton Street before she became famous. 

Her brother Joseph has a book out that is a must read called 'star of the sea'

Joseph is a contained genius.Unfortunately Sinead was an off the wall genius. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

RIP the great Jimmy Buffett. Taken too soon, and will be sadly missed. Havana Daydreaming,

A Passage in my life passes with Jimmy..........A Lady In Tie Dye........ Drinks his green label each day...Wasting Away Again...Mr Buffett..it was never a waste Thank You.......

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

RIP the great Jimmy Buffett. Taken too soon, and will be sadly missed. Havana Daydreaming,

38 minutes ago, chara said:

A Passage in my life passes with Jimmy..........A Lady In Tie Dye........ Drinks his green label each day...Wasting Away Again...Mr Buffett..it was never a waste Thank You.......

Never heard one of his songs but am going to investigate based on your love of his songs. 

44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Never heard one of his songs but am going to investigate based on your love of his songs. 

Go for "Nashville Grand Ballroom Gowns"...not all "Caribbean Fantasy"... others on here can give you great pointers......"A Pirate Looks at Forty"....."He Went To Paris".....

Added..Mark...a proviso....like listening to John Denver driving over a pass to the Real South Park as opposed to listening to him stuck in Shepherds Bush traffic..mood and place makes a difference...Jimmy B in drizzle on Fulham Broadway as opposed to Sunshine and sand in Anguilla!

Edited by chara
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...