R.I.P. Tributes (non-Chelsea related)

JaneB

Thank you Mark.....maybe only heard it about 1000 times😁

Guess I too was never meant for glitter Rock'n' Roll!!!...and almost a Chelsea faithful anthem after a bad weekend....".Come Monday..it'll be alright!"

Smiles and again thanks....... Try "Margaritaville" followed by" He Went To Paris" for a range of emotions and feelings... frivolous fun to reflective

life view.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad news indeed. RIP Cathy and thoughts with Sir Alex and all their family.

I’m not sure what anyone else thinks of Sir Alex, but I have nothing but admiration for him and what he achieved in the game. Yes it was at a rival and for a period his success was at our expense, but I can’t not be impressed with what he achieved and how he went about it.

He’s the greatest manager the PL has ever had and probably will ever have.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 06/10/2023 at 15:39, JaneB said:

Sir Alex Ferguson's wife Cathy dies aged 84: Heartbroken Man Utd legend's family confirm loss of wife of more than five decades who he had three sons and 12 grandchildren with | Daily Mail Online

Whatever you think of SAF this is very sad news.

I've always admired what a close knit family they seem, due I'm sure in no small measure to her. 

Seconded.  There is nothing worse than a death in a family.  It feels like the end of the world.

• Agree 2

On 07/10/2023 at 08:34, My Blood Is Blue said:

Sad news indeed. RIP Cathy and thoughts with Sir Alex and all their family.

I’m not sure what anyone else thinks of Sir Alex, but I have nothing but admiration for him and what he achieved in the game. Yes it was at a rival and for a period his success was at our expense, but I can’t not be impressed with what he achieved and how he went about it.

He’s the greatest manager the PL has ever had and probably will ever have.

Agree with absolutely every word, plus his teams always tried to play front-foot entertaining football.

And as a typical Goven man, he stood no messing about from players - didn't matter who they were, you messed him around - you were toast.  He got one or two wrong but everyone does.

Also he loved Gianfranco and called him the little magician in his autobiography - which is a good read for those that have not done so already.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I was behind the goal at Wembley in '66 when he scored the first goal for England...one of the indelible memories I have been blessed with from the game.

I may be mismembering but I believe I saw the only time (as my faulty memory tells me) he got a booking,,,against Argentina in that interesting game!

Mrs C met him when he opened the new Sports Pavillion in her village...asked only expenses..petrol money.. and she says he signed autographs forever with great patience and modesty.

Apparently arrived in the morning without fanfare and walked around the village to get acquainted with the place.

From a time when it was ok to like opposing team players he was a credit to the game his club ,family and himself.

With great respect and  aThank You Sir Bobby....

Edited by chara
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, JaneB said:

RIP Bill Kenwright

Always seemed a lovely man to me

Awkward timing for Everton fans who will now be expected to offer the usual platitudes after having given him dog's abuse for the last couple of years. 

• Agree 4

I know Everton have been/are in disarray and I’m not sure where the blame lies because I don’t really care, but Kenwright was a true Everton fan and I felt uncomfortable with all the abuse that was directed his way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Outside of football, but incredibly sad news this morning that actor Matthew Perry has died at the age of 54.

I grew up with Friends and my kids are watching it now, it’s just a massive part of so many people’s lives.

An incredible and hilarious, but sadly troubled actor.

RIP Matt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Outside of football, but incredibly sad news this morning that actor Matthew Perry has died at the age of 54.

I grew up with Friends and my kids are watching it now, it’s just a massive part of so many people’s lives.

An incredible and hilarious, but sadly troubled actor.

RIP Matt.

Yes , a huge part of our lives growing up and I'd liken to think I have a bit of the spirit of Chandler Bing in me , trying to find the funny in every situation.

A nice , troubled man .

• Love 1

On 29/10/2023 at 08:37, Mark Kelly said:

Yes , a huge part of our lives growing up and I'd liken to think I have a bit of the spirit of Chandler Bing in me , trying to find the funny in every situation.

A nice , troubled man .

Isn’t it awful how some of the most prodigiously talented people of our time end up? Elvis dying on the toilet. Whitney Houston, a drug addict, found dead in the bath. Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse…it seems that with some geniuses comes torment. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Isn’t it awful how some of the most prodigiously talented people of our time end up? Elvis dying on the toilet. Whitney Houston, a drug addict, found dead in the bath. Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse…it seems that with some geniuses comes torment. 

The cost of fame I expect, and in your examples they were not teams yet one man (or woman) shows. Subs would not work for them. so they were in high pressure roles.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Like Bobby Charlton, Pele, Best and othres...not enough words to give the magnificence of their football impact....the judgement of football greatness is defined by the quality and prowess of the opposition...Franz Beckenbauer a true adversary of the highest calibre.

Another giant leaves the pitch.

• Love 1