R.I.P. Tributes (non-Chelsea related)

JaneB

Thought we should have a separate topic for any non-Chelsea related tributes.

This has been prompted by the sudden death of Paul O'Grady.  I didn't know him personally but am feeling his loss as if I did.  He was such a funny, naughty, mischievous man and his love of animals, especially dogs, touched my heart.  Battersea will miss him greatly as will so many people.

RIP Paul.  Thanks for all the fun and laughs and for truly caring so much about animals in a world which so often treats them as second class citizens.  

• Like 3

Just now, JaneB said:

This has been prompted by the sudden death of Paul O'Grady.  I didn't know him personally but am feeling his loss as if I did.  He was such a funny, naughty, mischievous man and his love of animals, especially dogs, touched my heart.  Battersea will miss him greatly as will so many people.

RIP Paul.  Thanks for all the fun and laughs and for truly caring so much about animals in a world which so often treats them as second class citizens.  

I have to echo this sentiment Jane , a true animal lover and a kind and decent man.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A sad day all. Was shocked to see how long he’d been a celebrity for! I’d kind of forgotten about him hosting Blankety Blank as Lilly Savage!

RIP Paul, hope you get a chance to visit the rainbow bridge to see all the animals that you loved and helped.

• Like 2

I remember seeing him at The Vauxhall Tavern in the mid/late 80s, which was (and still is) a raucous and mostly gay venue, compereing drag talent shows as Lily Savage . The plods from up the road were always "raiding" the place to cause upset. It was also at the height of AIDS and those scary TV 'public information films'  and one night all the cops turned up wearing rubber gloves. "Oooh lovely... someone's sent out for some nice burly boys to help with the washing up!"

RIP Paul

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JaneB said:

Absolutely. Wasn't necessarily a fan of Lily Savage but as an avid watcher of For the love of dogs I loved the man. 

Battersea won't be the same without him. 

As Chris wrote, he deserves a suitable welcome on the other side of rainbow bridge. 

RIP POG. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaneB said:

Well said Jane.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I remember seeing him at The Vauxhall Tavern in the mid/late 80s, which was (and still is) a raucous and mostly gay venue, compereing drag talent shows as Lily Savage . The plods from up the road were always "raiding" the place to cause upset. It was also at the height of AIDS and those scary TV 'public information films'  and one night all the cops turned up wearing rubber gloves. "Oooh lovely... someone's sent out for some nice burly boys to help with the washing up!"

RIP Paul

Three stylishly-dressed drag queens, one smiling and one smirking, stand beside a man and a woman.

Pat and Breda McConnon’s last night running the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, with Regina Fong, Adrella and Lily Savage, 1 September 1993. Photograph by Gordon Rainsford. Gordon Rainsford Archive, Bishopsgate Institute.

• 1 month later...

Algy Ward bass player for " The Saints" The Damned" and "Tank" has also passed away over the weekend. He was just 63

I remember seeing Tank play the reading festival, I was right down the front as I thought they were great and there was an onslaught of cans raining down on the band, none of them hitting their intended target, Algy just laughed, strode to the mic and said * Your aim is as bad as your taste in music ". https://youtu.be/G2mjiRF4eic

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Sad 1

“No whiskey for sale
You get caught, no bail
Saltpork and molasses
Is all you get in jail
They call it Nutbush
Oh, Nutbush
Yeah, they call it Nutbush city”

Loved that woman. Icon of my youth. Stayed in an Ipswich hotel back in the nineties, heard from the staff she was staying there but never saw sight nor sound of her. What a loss.

Here’s looking at you, Tina …

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...