Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

JaneB

6 hours ago, Ham said:

I thought RLC looked decent recently.  He's so frustrating. I could finally reconcile the fact that he's not good enough but then he does something good and has me wondering again.  

Jude Bellingham is everything that RLC was supposed to be, but never will be.

So much promised, next to nowt delivered - flatters to deceive the majority of the time. 

It’s Mrs EL’s birthday on Sunday, if we were going for a title or had something in the game I’d have got away with going. However, we haven’t and I’ve been married a long time with no desire for it to end for our current lot (Jose’s teams maybe????), so the good lady, beers/bubbly and barbecue take priority. 

As some have mentioned, this result might not even matter if Arsenal don’t win at Forest. Be nice to torture them by winning and keeping their hopes alive for a few more days, before they fade and die. But, we’re so far away from being able to compete with City - it’s scary. Just gotta hope we can keep it respectable.

Invested the tickets with a mate, who got me into Cobham to watch the U15’s,  so paid that ‘debt’ back with a view to a future visit. 

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

You've got me on that one matey.

Come on kev.... from the other Stamford Bridge to Hastings and crushing defeat ....?....not "Yer Darlin' 'arold" but yer King Harold of the arrow in the eye as they claim.....

6 minutes ago, chara said:

Come on kev.... from the other Stamford Bridge to Hastings and crushing defeat ....?....not "Yer Darlin' 'arold" but yer King Harold of the arrow in the eye as they claim.....

Sorry Not familiar with that old chum.

13 minutes ago, chara said:

Is it something you dance round the maypole to?

5 hours ago, chara said:

All accounts of the arrow in the eye date from several decades (and in one case almost a century) after the battle, and are probably based upon the Bayeux tapestry (probably commissioned in the 1070s) where the words Haroldus rex interfectus est  (King Harold was killed) is embroidered next to a soldier with an arrow in his eye.  Like most other soldiers killed in battle, he'll most likely have been hacked to death.  [I've recently been doing a lot of reading on the latter Viking invasions - and William the Bastard, Duke of Normandy was of Viking descent - along with the early kings of a 'united' England... William I, William II, Henry I, etc as well as the women behind the thrones, such as Matilda of Flanders]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

All accounts of the arrow in the eye date from several decades (and in one case almost a century) after the battle, and are probably based upon the Bayeux tapestry (probably commissioned in the 1070s) where the words Haroldus rex interfectus est  (King Harold was killed) is embroidered next to a soldier with an arrow in his eye.  Like most other soldiers killed in battle, he'll most likely have been hacked to death.  [I've recently been doing a lot of reading on the latter Viking invasions - and William the Bastard, Duke of Normandy was of Viking descent - along with the early kings of a 'united' England... William I, William II, Henry I, etc as well as the women behind the thrones, such as Matilda of Flanders]

Viking history is fascinating, Bob - I agree. I struggled through Snorri Snurlusson's "Heimskringla" years ago while working in Reykjavik, and fell in love with the genre.

Incidentally, William the Bastard's family tree is, on the face of it, French (he was the son of Herleve and Robert the Magnificent, who was the son of Judith and Richard the Good), until we get to his parents, the (suspiciously Nordic sounding) Gunnor and Richard the Fearless, who was himself the son of Sprota (who was surely not French, with a name like that) and William Longsword, and then finally the Nordics Poppa and Rollo (Nordic for Hrolfr) the Ganger. His paternal line is unclear, but almost certainly from Sweden or Denmark.

Also, I understand that Viking refers to the act of raiding ("going on the Vik"), which is why it's perhaps better to refer to them as Normans (= Norsemen).

................................ Sorry about that, mods - what was that about Manchester City?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

Sorry Not familiar with that old chum.

Is it something you dance round the maypole to?

Sigh...can anyone in the Night Crew mob help me here?.... May pole kev?..... "July you're a woman?"..."February shivers ?"...I'm losing a grip here...delayed reaction to the Chelsea season I hope!

added...whoops..wrote this last night as a response to kev but didn't hit the submit button..OG as it's finest!

• Confused 1

What an erudite bunch we have here....waay off topic but hugely enjoyable, educational and just fun..in the great now new forum tradition of sidetracked topics! May it long continue...and as mentioned elsewhere...despite such a dreadful season the smiles still reach the surface!!!

A question for "Head Office"😁..... what about Wyatt?😁😁........

Sort of on topic..deadly shootout ahead.......Sam?

Edited by chara
  • Confused 1

A question...I'm too far away to really know the general feeling of "The Football" community regarding the title race.

As professed by many true Chelsea members here most of us whilst hating to see Chelsea win will take delight in being part of the Title destination if Citeh win against us and deny The Arse the so called crown!

My question is this....do you all have any insight to the feelings of the rest of the fans as to how they see a Citeh victory ...is the mood for Citeh to deny The Arse or what?...anyone?

I think it's obvious by now that City are the best team in the world by quite a margin.

Apart from money how did they get there? - Pep?... Probably.

I reckon Pep would resign if a player was bought or sold without his say so.I have watched City incrementally  build a super power and that was done by Pep imo(with the right finances of course)

I have a feeling Poch is the right man more than ever from what I know of him.

17 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I think it's obvious by now that City are the best team in the world by quite a margin.

Quite.

Apart from money how did they get there? - Pep?... Probably.

'Apart from money'? Without the money they don't exist (almost!)

I reckon Pep would resign if a player was bought or sold without his say so.

You may be correct, kev.

I have watched City incrementally  build a super power and that was done by Pep imo(with the right finances of course)

When you have that sort of money to throw at things, becoming a 'super power' becomes easier. Except for us!

I have a feeling Poch is the right man more than ever from what I know of him.

Agree with you, kev. I just wish that he'd pull his finger out and sign the sodding contract!

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Not sure if anyone has said...

Ref: Michael Oliver with Stuart Burt and Lee Betts running the lines, and Robert Jones is 4th official

VAR is John Brooks, assisted by Simon Bennett.

Doing my job now @Sciatika ?

Only joking.  I was slow off the mark this week 😞 

On 17/05/2023 at 15:41, chara said:

Sigh...can anyone in the Night Crew mob help me here?.... May pole kev?..... "July you're a woman?"..."February shivers ?"...I'm losing a grip here...delayed reaction to the Chelsea season I hope!

added...whoops..wrote this last night as a response to kev but didn't hit the submit button..OG as it's finest!

I looked up "July you're a woman" but what has that song got to do with King Harold????  I'm losing my grip too @chara

On 17/05/2023 at 15:51, chara said:

What an erudite bunch we have here....waay off topic but hugely enjoyable, educational and just fun..in the great now new forum tradition of sidetracked topics! May it long continue...and as mentioned elsewhere...despite such a dreadful season the smiles still reach the surface!!!

A question for "Head Office"😁..... what about Wyatt?😁😁........

Sort of on topic..deadly shootout ahead.......Sam?

I agree but have absolutely no idea what you're talking about?  Wyatt???  Deadly shootout???

(I love the idea of the Night Crew btw)

18 hours ago, chara said:

A question...I'm too far away to really know the general feeling of "The Football" community regarding the title race.

As professed by many true Chelsea members here most of us whilst hating to see Chelsea win will take delight in being part of the Title destination if Citeh win against us and deny The Arse the so called crown!

My question is this....do you all have any insight to the feelings of the rest of the fans as to how they see a Citeh victory ...is the mood for Citeh to deny The Arse or what?...anyone?

???????  Has it got to that point with us Chelsea supporters? 😉 

I cannot bear the thought of Arsenal grabbing the title but how can I want Chelsea to lose?  A belting performance from us would do with Citeh awarded a very dubious penalty in the last minute of the match.  I can't believe I am even saying that so let's hope that matters are decided before we play them.

7 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I looked up "July you're a woman" but what has that song got to do with King Harold????  I'm losing my grip too @chara

I agree but have absolutely no idea what you're talking about?  Wyatt???  Deadly shootout???

(I love the idea of the Night Crew btw)

Ah Jane...bear in mind you are quoting from The Night Crew fantasy archives!!!...OK...kev made a maypole reference...so being late at night things get a bit flakey as I'm sure you have observed...May being a month I sort of did a chara wandering off into "month related " songs...no logical or sensible prompting of course (I thank you for the mod's indulgence of the somewhat eccentric turns the topics take at times!)

Wyatt?...only applicable to the OK corral shootout as illustrating the possible events v Man City but I suggest you might check with Sam re the sneaky dig at him!!!

7 minutes ago, JaneB said:

???????  Has it got to that point with us Chelsea supporters? 😉 

I cannot bear the thought of Arsenal grabbing the title but how can I want Chelsea to lose?  A belting performance from us would do with Citeh awarded a very dubious penalty in the last minute of the match.  I can't believe I am even saying that so let's hope that matters are decided before we play them.

Ah Jane you are a natural applicant..a shoo in...for The Night Crew !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chara said:

Ah Jane...bear in mind you are quoting from The Night Crew fantasy archives!!!...OK...kev made a maypole reference...so being late at night things get a bit flakey as I'm sure you have observed...May being a month I sort of did a chara wandering off into "month related " songs...no logical or sensible prompting of course (I thank you for the mod's indulgence of the somewhat eccentric turns the topics take at times!)

Wyatt?...only applicable to the OK corral shootout as illustrating the possible events v Man City but I suggest you might check with Sam re the sneaky dig at him!!!

Ah Jane you are a natural applicant..a shoo in...for The Night Crew !!!!!!

Well I am a night owl so you never know!!!