CFCnet 23/24 awards - RESULTS ARE IN!! ×

Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

YouTube 'football therapy' guy said Poch has clarified his position and would like to stay if the owners want him.

Yannick is a spokes person for TBSD 

He continually say the words it’s a project,  the process and young team. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Yannick is a spokes person for TBSD 

He continually say the words it’s a project,  the process and young team. 

I'd  never heard of him until today when one of his videos popped up.

More rumours. David Ornstein is saying Utd want Poch.

Edited by boratsbrother

I'd  never heard of him until today when one of his videos popped up.

More rumours. David Ornstein is saying Utd want Poch.

Those poor fools, have they not suffered enough? 🤣

12 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

We look way better and more of a team without Enzo. He’s slow and weak imo. Sell him to Real. He’d do well there.

Yeah, because of other aforementioned factors. 

He was perfectly fine an capable when he arrived last season and bossed it. 

11 hours ago, bertles86 said:

La Liga is slower and less physical than the Prem. So it's actually quite a sensible claim. Real would suit him better. Think back to top Prem players, most either combined skill with speed, physicality or both.

E.g. Rooney, Ronaldo, Hazard, Aguero, Hartland etc.

We do see occasional flashes of skill from Enzo, but it's neither combined with speed nor strength.

Your comparisons are all forwards and thus entirely irrelevant when discussing a player like Enzo. 

Fabregas was never physically special, neither was Paul Scholes when he dropped back into that deep midfield role later in his career. 

Sure, Enzo has his physical limitations but there are ways around that where he can still be put into a position to succeed and be impactful. 

People wanting him sold are going to be highly disappointed.

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

From what Ive watched over the years, every head coach out there has their plusses and minuses. Poch is no exception. 

This is going to shock a number of people on here. 

16 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I was talking about the Premier League. Cup football is  a completely different ball game.

Furthermore, imho, the depth of quality of the teams in Europe has fallen through the floor in recent years. Barca are a shodow of the team they once were. Worst Bayern Munich team in many years. No great Italian teams.  France has one team and next to nothing else. No great Dutch teams anymore. Sporting Lisbon and Benfica are bang average. Belgium no longer has any good teams. No teams at all in Eastern Europe who are any good.

Teams can take City in a cup format (even fecking Wigan  did them) but over a league season there's not a team in Europe who'd be anywhere near them week in week out year after year. Us winning the league again would imho be a far, far greater achievement than winning another CL 

No. You said we played lousy football under Tuchel - I said no we didn't -  it is simply not true.

The standard of football in the world is declining for sure but that is to do with money.

In my humble opinion Tuchel cared - but if you have some overpaid brats in the team it makes a managers job very difficult.

What European teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid have is a fan base that will not accept mediocrity.So the players try harder.

We have a fan base that is mute in comparison

We have a fan base that doesn't get carried away with the odd good result - that is the reason I like this site.

29 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Bossed what? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

He was very good when he arrived and was one of the stand out midfielders within the league in that period. Which was also backed by metrics for those that also take stock in this area. 

I'd be wanting to see him fully fit again, and with the tactical tweak of having an inverted fullback coming into the midfield, before anything else. It's already benefited Gallagher and Caicedo, and it's hard to see it not having the similar impact with Enzo. Just because he hasn't got the athleticism of prime Vieira doesn't mean he's useless.

We're not going to sell him either way at this point so I'm not particularly pressed.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Your comparisons are all forwards and thus entirely irrelevant when discussing a player like Enzo. 

Fabregas was never physically special, neither was Paul Scholes when he dropped back into that deep midfield role later in his career. 

Sure, Enzo has his physical limitations but there are ways around that where he can still be put into a position to succeed and be impactful. 

People wanting him sold are going to be highly disappointed.

Happily,  it looks like Poch is going to have a very different kind of team selection problems next season. Rather than who's fit enough to play, it's going to be who the hell is he I going to leave out?🙂

Edited by boratsbrother

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

He was very good when he arrived and was one of the stand out midfielders within the league in that period. Which was also backed by metrics for those that also take stock in this area. 

I'd be wanting to see him fully fit again, and with the tactical tweak of having an inverted fullback coming into the midfield, before anything else. It's already benefited Gallagher and Caicedo, and it's hard to see it not having the similar impact with Enzo. Just because he hasn't got the athleticism of prime Vieira doesn't mean he's useless.

We're not going to sell him either way at this point so I'm not particularly pressed.

We will see.  But I don’t think he “bossed” anything.  You can make “metrics” prove anything. “Metrics” don’t disprove what I have seen so far  which is a slow, weak midfielder who doesn’t appear to be suited to the PL. I don’t think he’s useless; I just don’t think he’s right for us.

Personally, I’m far from impressed for the money we paid (though that isn’t Enzo’s fault)  and if I had to choose I’d go with Gallagher over Enzo. 

However! As always I’m very happy to be proved wrong because it would mean that the team is doing well, which is what we all want. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

We will see.  But I don’t think he “bossed” anything.  You can make “metrics” prove anything. “Metrics” don’t disprove what I have seen so far  which is a slow, weak midfielder who doesn’t appear to be suited to the PL. I don’t think he’s useless; I just don’t think he’s right for us.

Personally, I’m far from impressed for the money we paid (though that isn’t Enzo’s fault)  and if I had to choose I’d go with Gallagher over Enzo. 

However! As always I’m very happy to be proved wrong because it would mean that the team is doing well, which is what we all want. 

Maybe a certain pro Enzo poster should look at the players assisting him in the midfield area in the team when his metrics were good. Kovic, Havertz, Felix, Mount, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek, were regulars pre and post the nobody coach

He was also protected with the team continually switching to a back 5 and him playing the deep midfielder role. Enzo metrics for 2 - 5 meter passes was outstanding 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

What the eyes see, is sometimes far more valuable than what the data projects.

He's not a poor footballer, just one that there appears to still be questions around his suitability for the PL after a season-and-a-half.

He wouldn't be the first Argentinian superstar that's been a 'world-class' performer elsewhere but can't cut-it in the PL - Juan Sebastien Veron

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, east lower said:

He wouldn't be the first Argentinian superstar that's been a 'world-class' performer elsewhere but can't cut-it in the PL - Juan Sebastien Veron

*puts tin hat on*. I actually quite liked Veron. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

You could see the quality, and it wasn't for the lack of trying - but just like Enzo (to my eyes anyway) he couldn't get himself that yard of space that you need in a PL midfield.

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I was a Crespo fan

Can I borrow your tin hat 😀

Crespo would have been a superstar in the PL, there were things going on in his private life and for the well-being of his family  that meant him staying in England wasn't possible. Wonderful player.

Media Watch: Tomori hits books during lockdown, Crespo on ...

💙

• Like 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

For us? He was diabolical. Played what, 12 games?

23 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I was a Crespo fan

Can I borrow your tin hat 😀

No tin hat needed. Crespo was a fabulous player. Would have benefitted hugely from VAR too, as he was often incorrectly given offside due to brilliant movement 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Maybe a certain pro Enzo poster should look at the players assisting him in the midfield area in the team when his metrics were good. Kovic, Havertz, Felix, Mount, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek, were regulars pre and post the nobody coach

He was also protected with the team continually switching to a back 5 and him playing the deep midfielder role. Enzo metrics for 2 - 5 meter passes was outstanding 

You've named a group of players who couldn't score in a wild weekend in an Amsterdam brothel.  Deadwood who were taking this team nowhere and had to be moved on. Proof of that is we're now one of the most potent attacking teams in the country scoring almost twice as many  goals by getting rid of that deadwood.

I'll take a charity bet right now with this prediction  - top 4 next season and a title challenge the season after. That's how confident i am about this squad and its potential.

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

No. You said we played lousy football under Tuchel - I said no we didn't -  it is simply not true.

The standard of football in the world is declining for sure but that is to do with money.

In my humble opinion Tuchel cared - but if you have some overpaid brats in the team it makes a managers job very difficult.

Tuchel did care, I'm not disputing that. We only have to see that an old Messi well past his peak was named player of the last wotld cup to see the quality has declined across the world. Lots of decent to good players, but very, very few genuine great players.

As for me not enjoying TT's football. That's just my own opinion. Nothing more. Others prefer more pragmatic football and I can understand why they do.

I just love watching this young team finding their feet as individuals and as a team. Loving the incredible, bonkers games we're involved in,  but understanfing and accepting there will be bad moments and bad games along the way back to the top. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I'll take a charity bet right now with this prediction  - top 4 next season and a title challenge the season after. That's how confident i am about this squad and its potential.

Lets bet on next season and your top four prediction, name your price, although August would be a better time to do the bet

Edited by ROTG

Thing is, we're only 10 points off 4th now, and we have had an absurd number of injuries. 

Even without buying another player, you could make that up by just have an ordinary season, injury wise.  That's ignoring any expected improvement in the younger players 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

As for me not enjoying TT's football. That's just my own opinion. Nothing more. Others prefer more pragmatic football and I can understand why they do.

Just like to add this bit.

Also, as great as he is, I don't like watching Pep's teams either.

Everything is so controlled and coached to the enth degree to make it almost machine like. You know what your going to see over and over and over again. Every performance looks the same as the previous one. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Thing is, we're only 10 points off 4th now, and we have had an absurd number of injuries. 

Even without buying another player, you could make that up by just have an ordinary season, injury wise.  That's ignoring any expected improvement in the younger players 

Indeed!

Just carrying on at our 2024 level we'll almost certainly finish 4th at worse. That is unless there's a significant improvement from a Villa, Spurs, Untied or Newcastle and I honestly don't see significant  improvement in any of those teams. I expect Newcastle and Spurs to be the level they are now. Villa to fall back with Utd maybe overtaking one or two of those three but not enough to keep up with us.

Sort our defence out and we'll seriously challenge Liverpool for third.

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Like 1