Chelsea 5 Wrexham 0

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Pre-Season Friendly match against Wrexham at the Kenan Memorial Stadium, North Carolina before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 00.30 hours on Thursday, 20th July 2023 (Local UK time/date)

Just now, JaneB said:

Just getting prepared Sam.  I need something to look forward to. 

Me too Jane, I'm just not sure watching Chelsea is anything to look forward to after our recent experiences!

Here's hoping Poch has worked them into some semblance of a team by the time this match comes around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Me too Jane, I'm just not sure watching Chelsea is anything to look forward to after our recent experiences!

Here's hoping Poch has worked them into some semblance of a team by the time this match comes around.

I did wonder after I wrote that whether I actually meant it!!! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Just getting prepared Sam.  I need something to look forward to. 

Try looking forward to Christmas, Jane. It's a safer bet. Even if the inlaws come to stay until New Year's day and Grandad pigs out on Brussels sprouts.

• Haha 1

I hope we don't see any deadwood! Maybe some youngsters that end up going on loan, but otherwise only players that will be in the first team squad should be involved in pre-season.

If we haven't managed to ship out Pulisic, Ziyech, Lukaku, Sarr etc. they should be staying back in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Last seasons pre season here included time in Vegas and in USA terms quite close...for various reasons I decided not to go to Vegas and given the quality of the games over here a wise decision...the outlay to watch rubbish far outweighed the chance to see Chelsea in the flesh for the first time for a long long time. 

Checking out the possibilities this preseason the cost would have been prohibitive and far more than the expense of an away top fixture in Europe.

Taking out the travel/hotel expenses the actual game ticket costs for decent seats, (against  Wrexham!) reeks of gouging and taking advantage of fan loyalty.

Hopefully I will be able to see the games on tv and not travel a long way just to watch a possible mish mash Chelsea side...from the couch it doesn't matter and will be interesting...at a ground live the same experience could be one of great let down and ultimately just pre season training ....

• Like 3

You'd imagine Wrexham will be well up for this game, assuming they're not still baked from their trip to Vegas. We on the other hand will be little more than a pickup group of whatever players are available, bearing in mind that quite a few will have only joined up with the squad on the plane to the US. Last season at this point we were unable to live up to the individual abilities of the players let alone forge any kind of team mentality and this fed through to the season proper. We can only hope Maurice Cappucino is able to sprinkle a little magic over the group while also protecting the players from unnecessary injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Word on the street is that we will begin the game with these starting:

Kepa

Gusto - Silva - Colwill - Chilwell

Santos - Fernandez

Gallagher - Nkunku - Sterling

Jackson

Fingers crossed we can get through at least one of the pre-season games without season ending injuries to key players.

Edited by Holymoly
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

Word on the street is that we will begin the game with these starting:

Kepa

Gusto - Silva - Colwill - Chilwell

Santos - Fernandez

Gallagher - Nkunku - Sterling

Jackson

Fingers crossed we can get through at least one of the pre-season games without season ending injuries to key players.

Oooh.  I like that line up.  

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Oooh.  I like that line up.  

I just hope Wrexham treat it as a friendly and don't go in two footed on our players. I'll be looking at our mindset, commitment and application.... tomorrow. Buggered if I'm staying up to watch a media driven "soccer" match.

Edited by Holymoly

This game is being somewhat "Bigged Up" on line here (one entry lists songs ,with full lyrics, sung by the opposing fans!! sigh)and I suspect the media do not understand or probably more than likely don't care that for all Wrexham fairy tale exploits of last season they are a very lower league outfit and if the game was at SB or Wrexham as an opening preseason affair it would be of interest only,,and mostly academic..to fans of the two sides involved....a similar "Football" matchup between a NFL and very low level side would be just a footnote here locally.

No disrespect for Wrexam as they are one of my "watch their results" sides.

• Agree 1