Chelsea 5 Wrexham 0

JaneB

I also thought Gallagher played well. Was everywhere and had a much more free role. We definitely should not sell him. 

I mentioned it about but I really liked what I saw from Casadei and it was telling that he was kept on for the full 90 mins.

Edited by Miguelito07
  • Like 1

Just now, Miguelito07 said:

I also thought Gallagher played well. Was everywhere and had a much more free role. We definitely should not sell him. 

I mentioned it about but I really liked what I saw from Casadei and it was telling that he was kept on for the full 90 mins.

Casedei looks to be a cut above to me , I'd definitely be keeping him around 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Only first game but from what i've seen we looked very, very average. Midfield looks a huge problem and that defence would be torn apart against quality opposition.

Er, thats not the defence we will be starting the season with , two starters were absent and all the issues occurred in the second half when the formation was changed 

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Only first game but from what i've seen we looked very, very average. Midfield looks a huge problem and that defence would be torn apart against quality opposition.

Good job we won't be starting the season with those players then I suppose.

When you say 'from what I've seen' can we assume you didn't watch the full match?

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Er, thats not the defence we will be starting the season with , two starters were absent and all the issues occurred in the second half when the formation was changed 

From what I saw on YouTube there were problems in the first and second half. At times it looked like Wrexham were at least holding their own. Better teams would have taken advantage.  

I had a bad feeling after the first pre-seadon last year and have a similar one after this seasons opener. I've said ithis in another thread that I would not rule us becoming involved in a relegation fight if we get off to a poor start.

On another matter but quite an important one for the long-term. I noticed the modest attendance in what was a far from large stadium. If this is a sign that we are already losing some of our international  fanbase?  It will have a knock-on effect with our income streams.

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Good job we won't be starting the season with those players then I suppose.

When you say 'from what I've seen' can we assume you didn't watch the full match?

I didn't watch the full match but the video I have seen was an extended highlights video and if that's the best parts then  I see very little to be optimistic about. 

11 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

On another matter but quite an important one for the long-term. I noticed the modest attendance in what was a far from large stadium. If this is a sign that we are already losing some of our international  fanbase?  It will have a knock-on effect with our income streams.

You did watch the right match ? Chelsea actually scoring five goals for the first time since Jesus was an apprentice carpenter?

The game was a sell out of just over 50k people , that's a SELL OUT . 

Crimony. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You did watch the right match ? Chelsea actually scoring five goals for the first time since Jesus was an apprentice carpenter?

The game was a sell out of just over 50k people , that's a SELL OUT . 

Crimony. 

There were loads of empty seats!

5 goals against a team just up from the non leagues is the least we should expect!  Theses games are there to look beyond the actual result and look more into quality of performances, which is what I'm doing. I saw next to nothing there that looked real class. I hope I am proven to be very wrong!

Just now, boratsbrother said:

There were loads of empty seats!

5 goals against a team just up from the non leagues is the least we should expect!  Theses games are there to look beyond the actual result and look more into quality of performances, which is what I'm doing. I saw next to nothing there that looked real class. I hope I am proven to be very wrong!

Cant help you there my friend , the stadium seats just over 50k and it was sold out . 

Wrexham may be just up from non-league football but regardless of that as a side we played better football than we have for absolutely months and months , it was day and night to the tripe dished out by Potter and Lampard , we had two strikers who knew how to play football and one of them assisted a goal . led the line well and the other one actually scored a goal , imagine that . 

Here's what Ben Foster had to say about the Chelsea side 

“Wow. It’s from this third here, the final third. When they get the ball in the final third, wow. Runners down the wing, players coming inside going outside, and they’re always taking the ball on the run.

“They’re either already running or they’re picking it and running with it so it just gets you on the back foot straight away and it’s good to see. There’s so much pace, they’re so sharp.”

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Others have responded to this, but Jesus wept.........the back 4 (plus GK) were these:

Cumming (Bergstrom, 75); Gusto (Gilchrist, HT), Chalobah, Humphreys, Cucurella

Yes, you're right, that defense would get torn apart against quality opposition. I'll wager everything I own, and a couple of internal organs that we wont see that line up in a game against quality opposition.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I was worried after the Arsenal pre season last year (as were lots of others)  and I'm a bit concerned with what I saw from yesterday's game too. Should I say I'm feeling positive when I'm not?

But we lost that one 4-0 and we were, quite honestly a shambles on and off the pitch.

I'm not saying you should say anything either way, but we've played one pre-season game, with a team packed full of youngsters and plenty making their first appearance for the club, let alone alongside one another and got a 5-0 result. Yes, the oppo was weak, but if we're going to start dissecting these kinds of matches and coming to the summary that it's all doom and gloom, then I really worry about how we'll all cope throughout the upcoming season.

Just try and enjoy it a little, would be my suggestion.

• Like 2

Starting XI from last night:

Cumming; Gusto, Chalobah, Humphreys, Cucurella; Casadei, Santos; Moreira, Chukwuemeka, Maatsen; Jackson

Chuk has the third highest number of PL starts for Chelsea........with 2.

8 of the 11 haven't played for us in the PL yet.

It's a wonder we didn't destroy them 27-0 

• Haha 2

HUH?..Doom and Gloom already?.....it was an exhibition game and barely more than a fitness get to know/bond exercise outing. (And what?..barely a day after travelling?)

Very enjoyable when kept in context...all good goals...and if the attitude displayed on the pitch runs through the whole squad then we are streets ahead of last season.

Something of a "con" job for the American "soccer" fans...not Wrexham/Chelsea aware regulars. The Wrexham "fairy story" myth played up without explaining the difference between what is still basically a Non League squad and, for all the Chelsea woes, an EPL top club.

If I had gone to that game at SB I would have enjoyed it for what it was...as I did watching on stream, but as a very expensive "non-game" definitely glad I stayed at home.

The Poch got the lineup right for the game..a look at how players are settling etc.

It is a preseason tour for fitness and preparation...last seasons fiasco of a tour was a lesson in how not to start a season...hopefully this year it will be a foundation and new start.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Some people on here are just negative for the sake of it, we all know who they are but when they openly admit they haven't even watched the game it's really not worth debating with them.

When I don't like a poster I quietly put them on my ignore list rather than try and encourage other posters to ignore them. Sad that you lack the respect to do that yourself.

3 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

When I don't like a poster I quietly put them on my ignore list rather than try and encourage other posters to ignore them. Sad that you lack the respect to do that yourself. 

I never put anyone on ignore.....every view point is important and even when I may disagree with a post usually  there are valid points worth considering.

Unfortunately the written word is not as nuanced as a verbal discussion and what can be just a point in a discussion can become an "issue".

Peace Bros.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Starting XI from last night:

Cumming; Gusto, Chalobah, Humphreys, Cucurella; Casadei, Santos; Moreira, Chukwuemeka, Maatsen; Jackson

Chuk has the third highest number of PL starts for Chelsea........with 2.

8 of the 11 haven't played for us in the PL yet.

It's a wonder we didn't destroy them 27-0 

Average age of 19 I hear

Football, what a funny game. Well i watched the match in its entirety and have been extremely pleased with what I saw because my focus was on two things: fitness and talent and I saw plenty of both. You cannot realistically expect this team to behave with any form of fluidity. It's the first match of the preseason and many of these players met seven days ago. 

Maatsen, Gusto, Casadei, Angelo, Santos, Jackson, Humphreys are bright young talents. The future is very promising.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Others have responded to this, but Jesus wept.........the back 4 (plus GK) were these:

Cumming (Bergstrom, 75); Gusto (Gilchrist, HT), Chalobah, Humphreys, Cucurella

Yes, you're right, that defense would get torn apart against quality opposition. I'll wager everything I own, and a couple of internal organs that we wont see that line up in a game against quality opposition.

We won't see it against ANY opposition.

5 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I didn't watch the full match but the video I have seen was an extended highlights video and if that's the best parts then  I see very little to be optimistic about. 

I watched it. 
no comment as it looked like one of those EFL trophy games where Chelsea U21 play division 2 or 3 teams, there will probably be ups and downs on the tour

Bottom line is, 13 August is when it counts 

• Agree 1