My Blood Is Blue

Matchday prediction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Preston North End win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/24 at 16:30

31 minutes ago, Sabrina F. said:

Palmer feels very early-KDB to me.

Is that a good thing?  Piazon was early KdB to me.  Or late Benayoun.    Marin felt very early Salah or a bit better. 

Some of the stuff I've read in here early on is nothing short fucking pathetic. 

Now that I've gotten that out of the way the game itself was as you'd expect from a standard cup match. Preston did everything they could to stay in the content without really ever being in it. We were sloppy and a bit lethargic in that first half, but eventually found more urgency in the second half resulting in the flood gates opening.

Not a vintage performance by any means but we stayed patient and eventually got the result we needed. In the context of the season, that'll do me nicely. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Not a vintage performance by any means but we stayed patient and eventually got the result we needed. In the context of the season, that'll do me nicely. 

How do you know we "stayed patient"  - it implies it was a plan.

We played a team that any premiership team should overwhelm.

In the first half we were a disaster.Let's not get carried away - we got an impressive result against a poor team.

Before I get accused  of being a grumpy old man - i'm just being honest.Win 4-0 against a decent team I might start to believe.

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've heard some inane bollocks from commentators before but Pearce was horrific. 

He'd obviously prepared a script and he was sticking to it regardless, 

Absolute rubbish from start to finish. 

Are you referring to Jonathan Pearce, the ex capital radio “194” sports commentator?

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Now that I've gotten that out of the way the game itself was as you'd expect from a standard cup match. Preston did everything they could to stay in the content without really ever being in it. We were sloppy and a bit lethargic in that first half, but eventually found more urgency in the second half resulting in the flood gates opening.

Maybe it because some of us are not spokespersons for the Chelsea owners 

BTW, using expletives is really not necessary. 

6 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yep, really like the look of Gusto, I think he could well end up being one of the better signings as let’s face it James is never staying fit and I think you’re right, at some point, it could become a decision to make for someone.

Well James is pure profit for the sports department. Lets hope he is fit for the euros this summer 

22 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Are you referring to Jonathan Pearce, the ex capital radio “194” sports commentator?

Always thought he was better suited talking about Hypno-Disc and Panic Attack. 

41 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Always thought he was better suited talking about Hypno-Disc and Panic Attack. 

Argh, that Jonathan who claim to fame is say the words 

Ian Wright Wright Wright

which ultimately was turned into Ian w@nk w@nk w@nk at the bridge and Highbury on away days. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

How do you know we "stayed patient"  - it implies it was a plan.

We played a team that any premiership team should overwhelm.

In the first half we were a disaster.Let's not get carried away - we got an impressive result against a poor team.

Before I get accused  of being a grumpy old man - i'm just being honest.Win 4-0 against a decent team I might start to believe.

Because I watched us play and we didn't reach a stage where we begun to panic and force things, which can happen in games like this when there isn't an early goal to settle things? 

No one is exclaiming we pulled up trees or that "we're back".

Simply happy to enjoy a decent win under in what has been a pretty up and down season overall. Last I checked that wasn't a crime.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ham said:

Hope all is ok. 

All good thanks mate, still my bad back from just before Christmas, I’m slowly working my way back to full fitness after a couple of set backs over the festive period. I feel very much like a Chelsea player, I just get paid a lot less for my suffering!

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Maybe it because some of us are not spokespersons for the Chelsea owners 

BTW, using expletives is really not necessary. 

xceleryx always gives me heavy vibes of the guy that runs the comic book store in The Simpsons

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Glad someone is talking sense. 

Of all of the dross and frustration this season, yesterday really isn’t a game to get worked up about at all.

First half obviously wasn’t a classic, but it felt like a boxer easing themselves into the rounds.  We clearly had a few more gears which we found clinically and professionally in the second half. 

We gave a debut to Gilchrist (who was great), had a 20 year RB playing at LB. a 20 year old captain, and a young striker, desperate for minutes and form, grabbing a goal and very close to a brace. 

Four goals, a clean sheet, some academy debuts, no injuries  (🤞🏼) and onto Middlesbrough Tuesday.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's slow steps for Mudryk but at least he cleaned up a lot of his game. Less trying to dribble 5 players and turning the ball over consistently, and more early releases of the ball and passing, that cross to Broja is what he should be doing more of. Once we can make him understand he's got a better chance of succeeding by modeling his game into a mix of Albrighton/Son rather than be a dribbly left-winger, the better.

8 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Is that a good thing?  Piazon was early KdB to me.  Or late Benayoun.    Marin felt very early Salah or a bit better. 

Not necessarily a bad or good thing, more of an observation.

Usually, young attacking players have flashes but no end product (Madueke an example of that), but Palmer is kind of the opposite. He does have the young player's disappearing act but he is unbelievably polished in the final 3rd. Like that run he made for Enzo's pass in the 1st half, and the composure of the 1st touch. It's just so unusual for a player at that age. Maybe it's the premium coaching he's benefitted from at City.

KDB was like that, it jumped out from day 1. Always there for a shot, a final pass, but we all remember how little  intensity he was showing in those League Cup games. Eventually, KDB did improve his all around game, that's the challenge next for Palmer.

I will not entertain the Piazon comparison. Come on now. Marko Marin dribbled past some early 2010s MLS players in pre-season and that's about it. Benayoun was a good player at Liverpool but very different. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

All good thanks mate, still my bad back from just before Christmas, I’m slowly working my way back to full fitness after a couple of set backs over the festive period. I feel very much like a Chelsea player, I just get paid a lot less for my suffering!

Presumably, the club has offered you a nice, fat, long contract.

The first goal is often important and yesterday I thought Mudryk was the difference.

I guess Poch said something to him at HT, for the goal he wins a ball he is not expected to down near the right touchline, perhaps shoulder barges the other chap off the ball and then plays it back to Gusto to cross to Broja to score.

Mudryk later crosses to Broja who was unlucky not to score again.

Poch shuffles the pack and we romp home now Preston's defence has been broken,

I thought we were rubbish against a much more rubbish team. Wouldn't read very much into it, it's not something that is any different to 90% of the season so far, and it's how the majority of football teams win their games in all honesty. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

They've offered me a 7 year contact, as long as I can prove that the injury will return frequently.

Surely there has to be a "must cause maximum team disruption" clause. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Surely there has to be a "must cause maximum team disruption" clause. 

Thats not exactly what they call it, but you’re on the right lines, they have a  “proven muscle/bone issues that will heavily reduce the ability to make positive impact for more than 3 weeks at a time.” clause.

The problem I currently have is that I had a clear diagnoses on my back for just under 2 years which they are really frowning upon, but I’m hoping my dodgy knees will make up for that.

• Haha 2