My Blood Is Blue

Matchday prediction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Preston North End win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/24 at 16:30

1 hour ago, east lower said:

That was absolute trash!

Possibly as bad as I’ve seen all season - not even an ounce of desire, never mind quality.

Broja shouldn’t touch a blade of grass in a game any more. Don’t care if he’s supposed to be our only forward. Play without one, it’d be better.

22 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

4-0 final score

Much improved second half.

Yes H1 was trash, and No H2 was not much improved.  The difference was some great finishes and  a complete collapse by PNE.  Bringing on a 35 yo striker and 18 yo defender probably did not help.

I find nothing in this game to suggest we have improved in the slightest.  We just stuck in a few chances against a poor team.
We put out a really strong team.  Worrying.

It took 60 mins to overrun a mid table championship team.   One thing to be up for Middlesborough.  Anyone feel confident about our next 2 PL games?

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Luton were, to be fair, never really a threat.

I think people are kidding themselves that this was temporarily a PL opponent.  They aren't.  Nor were Luton or Sheff U last season and almost certainly not next season either.

34 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I just checked this and it actually said 

"it is impossible for an attacking player to be offside from a corner" 

The ball was crossed, Silva headed it, it was impossible for him to be offside. 

So, the question has to be " what the fucking hell were they playing at, other than looking for ways to cheat Chelsea again" 

Well yes - clearly Silva could not have been offside.  So they must have been checking if any of the Chelsea players between Silva and the keeper were interfering with play.  There were a couple, possibly offside, but checking if they were interfering is part of the job.

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Luton were, to be fair, never really a threat. The risk was more from us not converting a chance and having a replay more than being knocked out today.

Objection. Relevance?

😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Yes H1 was trash, and No H2 was not much improved.  The difference was some great finishes and  a complete collapse by PNE.  Bringing on a 35 yo striker and 18 yo defender probably did not help.

I find nothing in this game to suggest we have improved in the slightest.  We just stuck in a few 

Well yes - clearly Silva could not have been offside.  So they must have been checking if any of the Chelsea players between Silva and the keeper were interfering with play.  There were a couple, possibly offside, but checking if they were interfering is part of the job.

They're all onside when the corner is taken, the ball is immediately headed in so it's surely moot if anyone was in the way otherwise every single corner taken in football where someone scores without anyone else touching it would then be subject to a check and I cannot recall a single other instance of that happening. 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

They're all onside when the corner is taken, the ball is immediately headed in so it's surely moot if anyone was in the way otherwise every single corner taken in football where someone scores without anyone else touching it would then be subject to a check and I cannot recall a single other instance of that happening. 

Pretty sure every single goal from a corner gets checked for 10 secs or so.  This one was no longer.

12 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I find nothing in this game to suggest we have improved in the slightest.  We just stuck in a few chances against a poor team.
We put out a really strong team.  Worrying.

It took 60 mins to overrun a mid table championship team.   One thing to be up for Middlesborough.  Anyone feel confident about our next 2 PL games?

I think people are kidding themselves that this was temporarily a PL opponent.  They aren't.  Nor were Luton or Sheff U last season and almost certainly not next season either.

There was no Chelsea player in between Silva and the GK. 

Was absolute nonsense 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

There was no Chelsea player in between Silva and the GK. 

Was absolute nonsense 

Watch Caicedo.  Stands in front of the keeper, even gets pushed by the keeper ahead of the corner and walks back across him afterwards.  And certainly in an offside positon next to the keeper.
Demands 10 secs of checking before the goal is given.
That is all they take - 10 secs.  Perfectly reasonable.

Edited by Dwmh
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Watch Caicedo.  Stands in front of the keeper, even gets pushed by the keeper ahead of the corner and walks back across him afterwards.  And certainly in an offside positon next to the keeper.
Demands 10 secs of checking before the goal is given.
That is all they take - 10 secs.  Perfectly reasonable.

I have never ever seen a direct headed goal from a corner ruled out for offside and there are ALWAYS players in front of the keeper.  

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Ham said:

I have never ever seen a direct headed goal from a corner ruled out for offside and there are ALWAYS players in front of the keeper.  

So you have never seen a directly headed goal from a corner overturned because of a player in front of the keeper?
I'm sure I have loads of times.  And mostly that is an offside decision, not a foul on the keeper decision.

20 minutes ago, Bison said:

First journo to actually see the situation for what it is. Took them long enough. 

To be fair - Craig Burley on ESPN has been saying the exact same thing  since Hoddle put him as a sub in the FA cup final in 1994

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Bison said:

First journo to actually see the situation for what it is. Took them long enough. 

To be fair he’s a PSG fan who hates Poch because of his time with them, so he’s not particularly objective. 

Edited by Floyd25

1 minute ago, Floyd25 said:

To be fair he’s a PSG fan who hates Poch because of his time with them, so he’s not particularly objective. 

Ehh, if anything that just gives him a better insight into how bad Poch is nowadays. Meanwhile the English journos still think it's 2017. 

It’s another win, so I’m happy, we’re into the next round of the FA Cup, so im happy.

First half was poor, second half went as you’d expect this kind of match to go.

Its job done, move on. 

Results are coming, that’s the real positive (yes, weaker opponents, but look at some of the teams we’ve lost to over the last 2 years!), next is the performances, hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Only half-watched thanks to kids and cooking, increasingly impressed with Gusto. It will soon be problematic when James gets fit again, as he's starting to show he shouldn't be second-fiddle to anyone. If only Cucarella turned out the same.

Gallagher's typically turning into a really top player, frustratingly/typically at the time contract is coming up for renewal. 

We're definitely better than last season and I personally see a lot of progress, at least we're in with a good shout in the big games these days, when last season we lost them all, or drew to Liverpool.

I'm always surprised at the level of opprobrium to Poch on here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Only half-watched thanks to kids and cooking, increasingly impressed with Gusto. It will soon be problematic when James gets fit again, as he's starting to show he shouldn't be second-fiddle to anyone. If only Cucarella turned out the same.

Gallagher's typically turning into a really top player, frustratingly/typically at the time contract is coming up for renewal. 

We're definitely better than last season and I personally see a lot of progress, at least we're in with a good shout in the big games these days, when last season we lost them all, or drew to Liverpool.

I'm always surprised at the level of opprobrium to Poch on here.

Yep, really like the look of Gusto, I think he could well end up being one of the better signings as let’s face it James is never staying fit and I think you’re right, at some point, it could become a decision to make for someone.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

Only half-watched thanks to kids and cooking, increasingly impressed with Gusto. It will soon be problematic when James gets fit again, as he's starting to show he shouldn't be second-fiddle to anyone. 

Agreed! Also to note, Gusto is only 20 and his first season in the PL. 

Unfortunately I do not share your optimism on James. I dont think he will have much to offer sadly. 

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

Agreed! Also to note, Gusto is only 20 and his first season in the PL. 

Unfortunately I do not share your optimism on James. I dont think he will have much to offer sadly. 

I'm not optimistic at all about James, he's among the best when fit, which is very seldom these days. I'm for seeing difficulties in big games, when he is, over who should start.

Well I hope that goal improves Broja’s confidence because Jackson is away and Nkunku is injured, so that leaves him as our only striker. Maybe others will trust him a bit more too as they seemed reluctant to pass to him or put in crosses.  Not that he was much good at finding space. 

As for the game, thought it was a dire, lazy first half. A more serious opposition would’ve made us pay. You can get away with it against lower league clubs but expected more tbh. Think the Carabao cup is still our most likely route to Europe so hope we’re more up for it against Middlesbrough.  

Edited by Original 21
  • Like 2

Mudryk was key in this, his battling to keep possession and feed Gusto sets up the first.

After that a poor Broja no longer looked a shadow and was unlucky not to get another.

We gave Alfie a run out and left Gallagher out for most of it.

Palmer was the only one I thought looked like doing something in the first half yet in the end we had four different scorers which must give us confidence going into the semis against Boro.

I watched some of Boro and would not say they are good yet are defensive minded and keep a good shape.