Chelsea 6 Middlesbrough 1 (6 - 2 on aggregate)

JaneB

Matchday prediction  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Middlesbrough win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/01/24 at 19:00

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Carabao Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg match against Middlesbrough at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Tuesday, 23rd January 2024 (Local UK time/date) (Live on Sky Sports) 

This is going to be 90 minutes of us trying to break down a low block, which is going to be so painful to watch. I know it's cliche, but an early goal in this one (for us is going to be so important).

The lineup will depend on who is fit, but would be great if Chilwell were able to start and at LB, having him and Gusto on will give us so many more options when we get forward. I would like to see (fitness dependant).

Petrovic

Gusto - Silva - Colwill - Chilwell

Enzo - Caicedo

Sterling - Gallagher - Palmer

Broja

I don't want Broja playing, but he is all we have and I really don't like playing a false 9 and we'll need someone to aim at in the box.

I like Madueke and he's done well recently, but because he is so raw and because of how he plays, I think he's currently better off the bench.

I know Chilwell won't start, but I really wish he would!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

This is going to be 90 minutes of us trying to break down a low block, which is going to be so painful to watch. I know it's cliche, but an early goal in this one (for us is going to be so important).

The lineup will depend on who is fit, but would be great if Chilwell were able to start and at LB, having him and Gusto on will give us so many more options when we get forward. I would like to see (fitness dependant).

Petrovic

Enzo - Caicedo

Broja

I don't want Broja playing, but he is all we have and I really don't like playing a false 9 and we'll need someone to aim at in the box.

I like Madueke and he's done well recently, but because he is so raw and because of how he plays, I think he's currently better off the bench.

Agree with you on this. I think its better to start Chilwell, try and get ahead in the game and have to take him off after an hour, rather than put him on with 30 mins left and us chasing the tie.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Petrovic

Enzo - Caicedo

Broja

If they will play a low block - do we really need Gallagher? *puts tin hat on"

Edited by Miguelito07
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

If they will play a low block - do we really need Gallagher? *puts tin hat on"

Nope.

We will have 80% of the ball. Play Palmer in the 10. Two wide men from Madueke, Mudryk and Sterling with Broja up top. 

Gusto and Chilly as full backs. 

Boom. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

IMO... Yes, as we need his work rate and he sets the tempo or the team.

His work rate is great when we dont have the ball. We will have all the ball. 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, paulw66 said:

His work rate is great when we dont have the ball. We will have all the ball. 

It’s not just the work rate though, it’s the fact he sets the tempo for the team. On the few occasions he hasn’t played this season, we’ve struggled to get out of first gear (not that we very often get out of second after that!).

11 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It’s not just the work rate though, it’s the fact he sets the tempo for the team. On the few occasions he hasn’t played this season, we’ve struggled to get out of first gear (not that we very often get out of second after that!).

United game being a prime example. We probably would have won that with him playing. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

On the few occasions he hasn’t played this season,

Once.

He has missed one game. It's not much of a sample size

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

United game being a prime example. We probably would have won that with him playing. 

United is EXACTLY the sort of game he should be picked in. An entirely different fixture to Boro at home. 

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Get JOSE IN. He has been sacked. For the love of Osgood. GET HIM IN. 

Not now.  Any more than I would want Hamilton driving my car.  Run it at full speed around Le mans and it would fall apart.
And while i care for my car more than Hamilton I wouldn't want to watch either Chelsea or Mourinho falling apart as dramatically as they certainly would.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Not now.  Any more than I would want Hamilton driving my car.  Run it at full speed around Le mans and it would fall apart.
And while i care for my car more than Hamilton I wouldn't want to watch either Chelsea or Mourinho falling apart as dramatically as they certainly would.

At least we'd win 1 or 2 things on the way.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

At least we'd win 1 or 2 things on the way.

No it would be 15/16 again with not enough fit players to do anything but limp through the season but JM cracking the whip and demanding we win every game.

2015/16 - the squad had 19 over 21 players registered including 3 GKs and 3 crocked CFs
In 22/24 we have 20 over 21 players registered including 4 GKs, Nkunku, Fofana an Lavia and plenty who have missed 15 games already.
JM wouldn't have got to Christmas and it would have been painful to watch.

I do love him though - went to Rome in Sept and so got a ticket to see Roma play or rather to watch JM on the touchline.
Damn - they won 7-0, he didn't get out of the dug out all game

25 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

No it would be 15/16 again with not enough fit players to do anything but limp through the season but JM cracking the whip and demanding we win every game.

2015/16 - the squad had 19 over 21 players registered including 3 GKs and 3 crocked CFs
In 22/24 we have 20 over 21 players registered including 4 GKs, Nkunku, Fofana an Lavia and plenty who have missed 15 games already.
JM wouldn't have got to Christmas and it would have been painful to watch.

I do love him though - went to Rome in Sept and so got a ticket to see Roma play or rather to watch JM on the touchline.
Damn - they won 7-0, he didn't get out of the dug out all game

I admit I am looking at it sentimentally, but even aside from that, surely Jose would give us something more, a spark, more than Poch.

45 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Indeed. Right coach, wrong time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Indeed. Right coach, wrong time.

Be interesting to see how long before he move back to London and is back on skysports as a pundit. 

I am assuming he still has his gaff in London?

Make the most of this one, we hav had 6 easier PL games and 2 now 3 easier cup games.  This one ought to be straight forward - a one goal deficit against a mid table championship team...

But this is what comes next (Villa is the cup game)
Next 6 games
image.thumb.png.985d3b00a487895a3e926bf8cc5775f4.png

[we might not have to face Spurs then, it might be Liverpool again in LC]

I'm expecting the glass to be very half empty on this site by end Feb.

4 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Where is this on?

I am told that it is on Sky Sports Main Event from 7.00pm
https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky/competitions/carabao-cup
But my Virgin box says that something else is on (ACN, Mali)

Can anyone with say a  Sky box confirm they can see it on the main event schedule?

TOCWS says it's on Sky, but what channel, I don't know 

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

I'm expecting the glass to be very half empty on this site by end Feb.

Im sure it probably will be, but...

1) They said the same about the run we had in Oct/Nov. Without bothering to look back, I'm pretty sure we ended up losing to the teams we should be beating and drawing/winning against the better sides.

2) Wolves, Luton and Fulham were also all much higher in the form table (compared tot he actual table) at the points we played them. I know that is a tenuous point, but it's all i've got.