Chelsea 6 Middlesbrough 1 (6 - 2 on aggregate)

JaneB

Matchday prediction  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Middlesbrough win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/01/24 at 19:00

With Gusto out, he has to start Chilwell at LB, but wouldn't be surprised if he moves him to RB and keeps Colwill at LB. I genuinely can't predict what back 4 he's going to pick, to be honest. I would go with Disasi - Silva - Colwill - Chilwell

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

With Gusto out, he has to start Chilwell at LB, but wouldn't be surprised if he moves him to RB and keeps Colwill at LB. I genuinely can't predict what back 4 he's going to pick, to be honest. I would go with Disasi - Silva - Colwill - Chilwell

If we start with two CBs at full back, and we don't go through, I might start to move the needle on where I stand with Poch 

6 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I repeat again, Poch has to be out if we don't go through. Sorry to say but a Championship team in a Semi Final, let alone a 2 legged Semi Final, should be a formality.

Yes. You can forgive a one off. Two games? Nope

That said, if we draw 0-0 and hit the post 5 times, and have 3 goals wrongly chalked off, I may be more forgiving than if we simply huff and puff and create nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I repeat again, Poch has to be out if we don't go through. Sorry to say but a Championship team in a Semi Final, let alone a 2 legged Semi Final, should be a formality.

I think this game is a formality, we will win comfortably.
Villa at the weekend though is a real challenge and the next 6 PL games could be fierce.
Even with a win today it is going to be pretty bloody.

I see no added value in removing Poch though.

In fact if you wanted a manager who could put up with poor results without losing his rag completely, Poch is your man.
We have seen what happened to JM with a squad this small (15/16).
We saw what happened in April how it went so pear shaped under another winner.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I haven’t seen it in the thread yet)

Does the goal difference still work in the same way. So if we are level at 90 minutes either 1-0 or 2-1 up we go to extra time, however at the end of 120 minutes away goals decide?

Or does a 2-1 at 90 minutes put us out?

4 minutes ago, JonnyCFC said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I haven’t seen it in the thread yet)

Does the goal difference still work in the same way. So if we are level at 90 minutes either 1-0 or 2-1 up we go to extra time, however at the end of 120 minutes away goals decide?

Or does a 2-1 at 90 minutes put us out?

Are away goals in use in the Carabao Cup semi-finals?

No, there will be no away-goals rule used in the Carabao Cup semi-finals. Instead, if the ties are level after 180 minutes of action across the two legs then there will be another 30 minutes of extra-time, followed by a penalty shoot-out of the two sides are still unable to be separated.

Will VAR be used in the Carabao Cup semi-finals?

No, there will be no VAR in any of the Carabao Cup semi-final games this season, the EFL have confirmed. That is because Boro do not have VAR equipment installed at the Riverside and therefore, to ensure the fairness and sporting integrity of the four games, there will be no VAR used across the whole of the semi-final stage.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-chelsea-carabao-cup-details-28408155

I'm off to add an extra hour to the recording schedule .

• Like 1

My prediction for tonight...

• Middlesbrough score on the counter after 20 mins or so and hold the lead to HT. (0-1)
  • Chelsea pull 1 back early in the second half, but then continue to struggle to break Middlesbrough down. (1-1)
  • Chelsea finally score with 10 mins to go and it goes to extra time. (2-1)
  • Chelsea score another and possibly a 4th in extra time to win the tie and go to the final. (3-1)

We'll win, but we sure as hell won't make it easy for ourselves.

10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

• Middlesbrough score on the counter after 20 mins or so and hold the lead to HT. (0-1)
  • Chelsea pull 1 back early in the second half, but then continue to struggle to break Middlesbrough down. (1-1)
  • Chelsea score another and possibly a 4th in extra time to win the tie and go to the final. (3-1)

Here's mine 

Pochettino will play four CB's in a row and for no apparent reason replace Mudryk with Chilwell after 60 mins. 

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

I don't care who's starting but we must attack attack attack, intense from the start. A 3-0 at half time would calm the 2nd half and we can have 1 or 2 more goals on counter attack.

Come on you 💙💙💙💙💙

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

This. 

Sadly, I'd take it, too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Please no extra time, I'm knackered and I'm not sure there's any protection from the rain where I'm sat tonight!

Pick up an Evening Standard off the tube floor on your way in (there’s usually plenty!) and pop it over your head if it rains and voila, dry head!

Those in the seats next to you might not be too impressed though.

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Pretty much the team I'd have picked. Madueke v Mudryk was my only 50/50

Yeah, I think he has this the right way around though, I think at this point, Madueke is a better impact player of the bench.

2 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

So MHL lower for you tonight, not East Lower 🙂

The East Lower is just a ruse! Sat there years ago when I first joined the forum. Family section is located there. Originally the family section was in the Shed Lower, sat there for a while too. Row B in the MHL is where I’ve been for 21 years now. 👍

• Like 2