Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

Genuine question, are we fickle enough to have started to look more positively on Potter following the last 2 matches?

I think it's very clear the owners are sticking with their man and we've definitely seen improvements over the past 2 weeks, now that he's had a more settled squad, got some 'proper' players in and has had a bit more time on the training ground with them all.

To be honest , I think a few things have hamstrung him for a while , firstly , he and his coaching team are new to the players , secondly many of the players although not duds are limited in one way or other and generally to their detriment so when picking a side with player X you have to bear in mind limitation Y and work around that and there are so many of that type of player in the squad it can be difficult to get any balance , then you have the injuries to key players , as key to us as losing a Harry Kane and Son would be to Spurs or Salah and Mane would be to Liverpool , we lost James and Chilwell plus nine others all at the same time which is unprecedented and Potter has had to negotiate this at the same time as everything being new from owners to medical staff and now players. 

When we were diabolical against Forest I wanted him gone but since then I can see a glimmer of hope , especially in the recruitment of players , Badiashile looks a real find , Mudryk looks like a Robben/Hazard hybrid and Felix even if we only get to keep him for six months looked far better than I hoped in his cameo for us .

These next rest weeks are an important break for Potter , I'm fully expecting things to improve and as they do the confidence of those players that appear to be brow beaten by circumstances will improve too.

He's not out of the woods yet but things are so tight from fourth place down there's absolutely no reason we cannot go on a winning run . 

• Like 1

Sensible points all round....I'm still of the view that GP is..or may be.. a good coach the same way as many EPL players are good players who do a solid job week in and week out but are not Eden Hazard, for example only.

I just can't feel enthusiasm about his "vision" (as yet defined) for Chelsea going forward.

I want Chelsea and GP by extension to be successful but I think from what I have seen from him over the years he is basically a good journeyman coach....possibly a very good journeyman coach and whilst not letting Chelsea down once all the current issues are resolved I can't see him challenging for top two and only mixing it with the 3/4 other sides looking to scrape 3rd /4th.

As ever hope I am wrong.

I didn't have a drastic opinion on Potter during the bad run of form (or at least the worst of it, given we're still really on that run) and I don't have a more or less critical view on him now because of 4 points. As has been said, he's clearly here for a while now. My overall feeling is that he won't work out and will be gone no sooner than May and no later than December, but only time will tell. I'd love to be wrong.

28 minutes ago, chrisb said:

I think he has the potential to be a great coach. He really can’t be judged on this season for reasons that have already been covered by @Mark Kelly. I’m all for giving him a fair crack at the whip next season and see how we do. 
Like @NoblyBoblythe only coach I wanted gone before he even arrived was the FSW.

As I said..broadly speaking ..no one as far as I can see is rabidly anti GP and we all hope he does well...FSW ? all the way with you!

• Thanks 1

Seeing the gods have been extremely generous to GP and his coaching team this window, is it unreasonable to expect a minimum of 35-40pts for the remainder of the PL game, which is the equivalent ManUre, Toon Toon & Spud form in the first half of the season, with the consideration of no domestic cup games, only KO stages of CL.

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Seeing the gods have been extremely generous to GP and his coaching team this window, is it unreasonable to expect a minimum of 35-40pts for the remainder of the PL game, which is the equivalent ManUre, Toon Toon & Spud form in the first half of the season, with the consideration of no domestic cup games, only KO stages of CL.

Yes it is unreasonable to post some arbitrary figure up as a stick to beat the manager with. I don't care how many points we get, as long as there are signs of improvement, better football and the emergence of a team playing a proper cohesive system and winning games by the end of the season. This is going to take time. We are not getting 4th, so points are a total irrelevance to me for the remainder of this season. I would rather we started next season strong and organised, than ended this season scrabbling for a pointless Europa League or Conference place. Short term pain, long term gain. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Yes it is unreasonable to post some arbitrary figure up as a stick to beat the manager with. I don't care how many points we get, as long as there are signs of improvement, better football and the emergence of a team playing a proper cohesive system and winning games by the end of the season. This is going to take time. We are not getting 4th, so points are a total irrelevance to me for the remainder of this season. I would rather we started next season strong and organised, than ended this season scrabbling for a pointless Europa League or Conference place. Short term pain, long term gain. 

I absolutely agree. My instinct is that GP is not the man for the job, but he deserves the opportunity to work with the riches at his disposal for this season

The focus should be on integrating the resources into a cohesive unit, establishing a winning style and working towards hitting the ground running next season, in which it is reasonable to expect us to mount a title challenge.

The secondary aim should be to go as far as possible in the ECL.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

So, you are happy to let the squad amble along like the first half of this season, Then expect everything to be rosy in the garden after the summer.

What happen if the squad do not start of strong next season, sack GP after 5 - 10 games?  and go back to the drawing board?

The remaining 19 games should be a test of GP coaching abilities, so far to date he got away with the injury excuse, or the other team were better. TB has just put those reasons to bed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

I absolutely agree. My instinct is that GP is not the man for the job, but he deserves the opportunity to work with the riches at his disposal for this season

The focus should be on integrating the resources into a cohesive unit, establishing a winning style and working towards hitting the ground running next season, in which it is reasonable to expect us to mount a title challenge.

The secondary aim should be to go as far as possible in the ECL.

There are a lot of very talented coaches out there who would give their right or left arm to work with the squad GP has been given by TB.

19 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So, you are happy to let the squad amble along like the first half of this season, Then expect everything to be rosy in the garden after the summer.

What happen if the squad do not start of strong next season, sack GP after 5 - 10 games?  and go back to the drawing board?

The remaining 19 games should be a test of GP coaching abilities, so far to date he got away with the injury excuse, or the other team were better. TB has just put those reasons to bed.

You little tinker!

2 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

So, you are happy to let the squad amble along like the first half of this season,

Perhaps read the post again, especially the bolded bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Perhaps read the post again, especially the bolded bit

I do not need to. 
IMO setting a target for GP is not unreasonable. Within the next couple of weeks GP will have a fully fit squad plus the January signings on top. Is it such an ask for the team to win 60% of there remaining PL matches to hit the target of 35pts. 

GP is know for seesaw form, therefore do you give a person another crack of that whip “another season” if they are unable to turn things around in the second half of this season with the current squad.

On 23/01/2023 at 21:01, chara said:

.I'm still of the view that GP is..or may be.. a good coach the same way as many EPL players are good players who do a solid job week in and week out but are not Eden Hazard, for example only.

At the beginning of the season you would have said the only truly first rate managers in the Prem were Pep, Klopp, Conte and Tuchel. Today, one is gone, two are under quite a lot of pressure and only one is in the top four. I think the test is long term success rather than results over half a season.

24 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

At the beginning of the season you would have said the only truly first rate managers in the Prem were Pep, Klopp, Conte and Tuchel. Today, one is gone, two are under quite a lot of pressure and only one is in the top four. I think the test is long term success rather than results over half a season.

Agree. Pep has had 7 years (today) to fine tune the entire operation at City. He won nothing in the 1st year, had a 6 game run without a win, finished 15 points behind us and was labelled "Fraudiola" at the end of that first year. Of course I am not seriously drawing comparisons between the two managers at this stage, just illustrating that it can take a bit of time to get the machinery running smoothly. Klopp has had 7.5 years to manage the asthma epidemic get Liverpool playing his heavy metal football (it's more Nickelback than Black Sabbath, but I digress). In his first year won nothing and he had 2 separate runs of 3 wins in 11 and 2 wins in 8. 

• Like 1

Casually watching Villa/Leicester....mildly interesting game with no emotional involvement but even watching casually two average teams it is possible to see training pitch coaching being followed by both sides...something I struggle to see from Chelsea.

Maybe it's just me but week in week out lack of structure not excused by injury or selection issues is a missing factor.

Will the real GP stand up..wherever you are or are we observing a modern Spartacus moment?

Edited by chara

Follow on....some puzzlement that GP seems to be getting a far easier ride from all of us than any new coach, or established for that matter, I can recall.

A possible reason that crossed my cynical OG mind is that he doesn't actually say or do anything to really annoy or upset anyone let alone us fans.

Same with the football presented to us....lot of dissatisfaction expressed but no real ire at GP...a 0-0 result doesn't please any of us but it's a case of "Well it could have been a loss" "One point better than none"..."Defence is ok"..and so on...a slow descent into an acceptable mediocracy ?

COGM 2... the more senior players are less likely to listen to what they might consider coaching bs...not for me to judge the coaching acumen,whereas a bunch of younger players might be more inclined to listen..at least at first...shrewd planning?

Just thoughts garbled as they may be.