Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Brighton win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/05/24 at 17:30

Win on Sunday and it’s a 19 point improvement on last season, not to be sniffed at given our injuries I suppose.

I really hope the SD’s don’t get carried away and think this is a title winning squad that deserves a title winning manager though.   Best thing we can do at this stage is stick with Pochettino and give him a target of 72 - 75 points which most years would get you CL football.

22 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

If he's got anything about him, anything at all he will walk if he doesn't get an extension. 

Or, he sticks with it, makes a very strong start to the season and gets himself a nice extension and pay rise.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

It takes a big man to climb down from a position, which is why so many choose to double-down rather than change an opinion or admit to being wrong.

Glad that optimism seems to have taken hold even in the anti-Pochettino brigade. Great end to the season, big signs of progress and much to look forward to next season, although a long-term injury to Palmer especially, or Gallagher and we'd be screwed.

Oh thanks Alex , I have been harsh but through it all I have maintained I just want him to be better , now some of the improvement we see has to be the players getting used to each other and some has to be his influence and at last we are seeing someone who actually looks bothered on the touchline .

I'm clutching a bit but I do remember reading that he said when he joined the first season will be poor the second will be much better as he can then start to impose his methods more and the third is where we will kick on so happy to be proven wrong if it helps the side and so far we're still a team that needs work but if he's actually doing the work then I have less qualms about him

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ROTG said:

What are you basing this on the last 4 games - or the season?

The improvement has not been just the last four games! 

I've posted this stat at least twice over the last week, but here it is again - since Boxing day,  we have won more points than every team except City and Arsenal. Being the 3rd best team over the last five months  proves beyond any doubt there has been consistent improvement from Poch and his players. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Spawton said:

To finish 5th, yeah. But 6th will be enough for Europa League provided City beat United in the FA Cup final. 

We and ManU can "help" in denying Sp**s Europe League next year 😁😁😁

I've just watched the "highlights" on YouTube from Sky and they were terrible , no mention of the Lamptey/Mudryk red card whatsoever (and it WAS a red card , no doubt about it) and no balloon celebration from Nkunku.

I'm still angry about the piss poor bent refereeing and Var last night .

There's talk that the Premier League teams are going to vote whether to keep it or not , I wonder if they can vote whether to keep the corrupt PGMOL too at the same time?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Whatever any of us think about the manager, who's right, who's wrong there is absolutely no doubt that he 100% should get a second season.

To finish 6th on 63 points, get to one domestic cup final, although the fact we didn't win it is a big negative on him and this season but there is no way we sack him now. Especially this summer with the potential manager merry go round. 

Funny thing is I wouldn't put it past these owners and even I would be fuming if we did replace him now.

The decision to keep him is a no brainer, the big decision is do we allow him to go into the season in the last year of his contract?

So would it have been a big mistake to sack him 6 games in like you wanted ? Or do you think this season would have been better had we sacked him at that point ? Just curious really.

The club still need to go out and sign up some experience players to really develop this situation further.

What I can say for certain, if we start next season with 4-5 young emerging talents added to this squad, I will be keeping well away from this forum! It’s going to go into full meltdown when the PL games start kicking in. 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He’s building the foundations of a new team, ready to be taken over by the next man, who will hopefully be the manager that is good enough to bring us glory.

And who are the managers who are top level who will come here and take us to glory? 

Imho, there's just three in the entire workd who are still elite - Pep, Ancelotti and Klopp. The rest are either levels below, once great but well past  their best or play football which is too negative to win the league in this era.  We won't ever get Pep or Klopp and Ancelotti is a manager of great teams but not a builder of great teams.  I honestly don't see anyone out there who I'd be confident of doing a better job than Poch is doing.

Alsi, nobody is taking this into account. Poch might just be reaching his peak as a manager. Might just have learned enough from his past shortcomings which stopped him from going up a level to being a top manager rather than a nearly man.  

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Yes I'm ready to agree.I said before if we finish with a flurry he deserves another chance until next crimbo.

I would even suggest we give him an extension. It never stopped any manager from being sacked (if he performed badly) It's just hard to imagine him carrying on without an extension, a dead man walking. Strangely enough, he became more animated on the touchline, and the team played better, the louder the speculation about him being replaced. So, I would not be surprised if he put his feet up and lit the cigar once given an extension. 

12 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The improvement has not been just the last four games! 

I've posted this stat at least twice over the last week, but here it is again - since Boxing day,  we have won more points than every team except City and Arsenal. Being the 3rd best team over the last five months  proves beyond any doubt there has been consistent improvement from Poch and his players. 

Did it coincide with Caciedo and Conor in midfield?.Sorry but I can't emphasise enough how important this was.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

So would it have been a big mistake to sack him 6 games in like you wanted ? Or do you think this season would have been better had we sacked him at that point ? Just curious really.

Don't think it would have been a mistake at all and yes 100% we would have been better if we had sacked him then.

We are on a good run, that doesn't mean we forget just how bad we have been for the majority of this season.

He deserves another crack, we will find out who's right  although I really don't care about that I'm not as obsessive about being proved right as some.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Or, he sticks with it, makes a very strong start to the season and gets himself a nice extension and pay rise.

And potentially turns down the opportunity to manage Bayern, United or Barcelona and ends up getting sacked by Christmas ?

He'd be absolutely mad not to extend this summer, especially with the other potential jobs available this year

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

And potentially turns down the opportunity to manage Bayern, United or Barcelona and ends up getting sacked by Christmas ?

He'd be absolutely mad not to extend this summer, especially with the other potential jobs available this year

Blimey - he's had a run of decent results but I wouldn't get too excited!

30 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Alsi, nobody is taking this into account. Poch might just be reaching his peak as a manager. Might just have learned enough from his past shortcomings which stopped him from going up a level to being a top manager rather than a nearly man.  

The League Cup Final & Liverpool say hi.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Don't think it would have been a mistake at all and yes 100% we would have been better if we had sacked him then.

We are on a good run, that doesn't mean we forget just how bad we have been for the majority of this season.

He deserves another crack, we will find out who's right  although I really don't care about that I'm not as obsessive about being proved right as some.

It was more a question directed in the manner of if you thought we would have done better had we sacked him 6 games in. You clearly still we believe we would have.

I agree on the good run comment and it makes easier to forget when it’s bad. I fear this comes back with a bang to reality in August, if we do persist with signing young emerging players this season. I’ll be outta here then, I can’t be having those same futile discussions over any manager. 

29 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Did it coincide with Caciedo and Conor in midfield?.Sorry but I can't emphasise enough how important this was.

We will see what happens when the coach has a 'choice' to make again. There's not too much doubt in my mind that he lucked upon the Caicedo/Gallagher partnership. He played Gallagher out wide to accommodate Enzo, Caicedo and Conor - That was a Ranieri style balls-up of the type that saw him play Lampard wide left.

Happy for the team and although most won't probably believe me, I'm also happy to see us look like a bit of a team again and that will be down to the players and the coach.

Will the coach ever be good enough to win something significant like a PL, no chance - but we have improved. Still shaky at the back and give away control of midfield areas. We let Brighton almost cross the ball from their full-backs and winger almost at will because we are set up to defend so narrow.

Really liked the look of the lad Barcoe, who came on at left-back for Brighton - He looks about 14 years old but influenced the game in a really positive way for them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Blimey - he's had a run of decent results but I wouldn't get too excited!

Mate, there's very few top level coaches about, now clearly I don't put Pochettino at that level, but he does still have a fairly high standing in the game. With his contract situation and lack of alternatives I would be amazed if he hasn't had some, informal, conversations with some of the clubs looking for a new man in the summer.

It's not that far fetched to think, especially after his recent comments,  he chooses to walk and walk into a much bigger job. It's why the decision to extend his contract or not is so big. He's done enough to warrant another go but probably not enough to be offered an extension.  What does he then do if United or Bayern approach him?

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Mate, there's very few top level coaches about, now clearly I don't put Pochettino at that level, but he does still have a fairly high standing in the game. With his contract situation and lack of alternatives I would be amazed if he hasn't had some, informal, conversations with some of the clubs looking for a new man in the summer.

It's not that far fetched to think, especially after his recent comments,  he chooses to walk and walk into a much bigger job. It's why the decision to extend his contract or not is so big. He's done enough to warrant another go but probably not enough to be offered an extension.  What does he then do if United or Bayern approach him?

The problem is he got lucky with Caicedo and Conor.Look I'm happy where we are so I will surf the wave of optimism with a degree of scepticism.

58 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

And who are the managers who are top level who will come here and take us to glory? 

Imho, there's just three in the entire workd who are still elite - Pep, Ancelotti and Klopp. The rest are either levels below, once great but well past  their best or play football which is too negative to win the league in this era.  We won't ever get Pep or Klopp and Ancelotti is a manager of great teams but not a builder of great teams.  I honestly don't see anyone out there who I'd be confident of doing a better job than Poch is doing.

Yeah, it's a very fair point. Elite managers seem few and far between these days. Alonso has the potential to be one, but my guess is that he is off to Madrid next summer anyway.

• Agree 1

Elite managers have always been few and far between.

What we have now is a generation of overpaid ego's

A manager needs to pick players with the right attitude in today's game.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Win on Sunday and it’s a 19 point improvement on last season, not to be sniffed at given our injuries I suppose.

I really hope the SD’s don’t get carried away and think this is a title winning squad that deserves a title winning manager though.   Best thing we can do at this stage is stick with Pochettino and give him a target of 72 - 75 points which most years would get you CL football.

I think it's clear that without the injuries we probably would have pipped Villa to 4th and won a cup or two on the way.

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, it's a very fair point. Elite managers seem few and far between these days. Alonso has the potential to be one, but my guess is that he is off to Madrid next summer anyway.

Alonso is one who looks like he could become a great manager. I thought he was staying in Germany though? If he ever comes to England it will probably be to Liverpool.

Arteta is obviously another young manager  doing a fine job. 

2 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Alonso is one who looks like he could become a great manager. I thought he was staying in Germany though? If he ever comes to England it will probably be to Liverpool.

Arteta is obviously another young manager  doing a fine job. 

Yeah, he's staying there next season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take over from Ancelotti in Madrid for the following season.

Arteta, sadly, yes he does look like a good manager.