Thiago Silva

JaneB

13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He is just a joy to watch. It’s like he’s playing a different game to everyone else and his started about 5 seconds before the other one.

Thanks...I was struggling to put into words my thoughts and you hit the right words for me!

Watching the odd game knowing the result it's possible to watch aspects of a game that we miss following the ball ete Tiago is just poetry in motion in a football sense.

• Like 1

So chuffed to have Thiago Silva here. Was a big advocate for signing him initially, and he's honestly even impressed me with what he's managed to do here at his age. There's very few defenders like him that remain in the game and I'd hate to think where we'd be without him at times. 

On 26/01/2023 at 12:43, My Blood Is Blue said:

Reports out that Silva has agreed terms on the extension. Great move by the club. 

His performances have got better with quicker players next to him (Badiashile and Chalobah instead of KK and Azpi).

A back 4 of James, Chilwell, then Fofana / Badiashile with Silva looks like a great blend

Can't think of an example of a big club letting an older player's contract expire that has been more conclusively proven to have been the wrong decision. He's been one of the best defenders in England since arriving and looks every bit like he's got three or four years left still at a high (if not highest) standard. What was it PSG had seen? No real consequences for them in that league, but letting him go can't have saved them any money and from the little I've seen none of their defenders are better than him.

I'd love to have him here for every last moment he's got the legs for it, then as a coach, but I expect he'll move onto to a level he can play every week at when he's not there any more for us. And fairly so. I'll take another year without complaint.

23 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Can't think of an example of a big club letting an older player's contract expire that has been more conclusively proven to have been the wrong decision. He's been one of the best defenders in England since arriving and looks every bit like he's got three or four years left still at a high (if not highest) standard. What was it PSG had seen? No real consequences for them in that league, but letting him go can't have saved them any money and from the little I've seen none of their defenders are better than him.

I'd love to have him here for every last moment he's got the legs for it, then as a coach, but I expect he'll move onto to a level he can play every week at when he's not there any more for us. And fairly so. I'll take another year without complaint.

I don't think it can have saved PSG anything at all because they let him go and signed Sergio Ramos in the same window and I can only imagine he was on hefty wages. 

What a player and what a bloke he is. I only wish we could have had him sooner!

9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Pirlo is one of the only others I can really think of immediately, he was "only" 32 when he joined Juventus from AC Milan on a free. To think that Silva joined us at 35 and has already amassed 105 appearances (8719 minutes) for the club is wild. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure many will agree with me, but I think he’s the best defender I’ve ever watched play for us, with the exception of John Terry.

I put him above Carvalho, Gallas, Luiz, Desailly etc.  An absolute rolls royce of a player

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I’m not sure many will agree with me, but I think he’s the best defender I’ve ever watched play for us, with the exception of John Terry.

I put him above Carvalho, Gallas, Luiz, Desailly etc.  An absolute rolls royce of a player

I agree. It’s not a knock on the players you’ve mentioned, they were all quality players for us, but Silva is just a completely different level. His reading of the game is the best I’ve ever seen.

Personally, he should be in the debates for best PL defenders whenever they pop up. The only think preventing it is probably because he’s not been in a PL winning side and has instead been part of arguably our most inconsistent years. He has, however, won the CL.

If VVD gets included in the discussions for best PL defender, then Silva should as well.

49 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I agree completely. I was a huge fan back in his Milan days.

I said something similar to some friends about 18 months back and was laughed at. He is comfortably in top 5 greatest PL centre backs ever ……and none of the others who make that top5 with him could still be performing to this level at his age.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

No.

Carvalho is the best centre half we've ever seen at the club . 

Just my opinion!!!😁😁

30 minutes ago, Ham said:

I still rate JT above everyone because of how he read the game, anticipated what was about to happen, his bravery and his second to none leadership skills.  

Not even a debate.  

Yes sorry , should have said Carvalho after Terry, then Silva 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Ham said:

I still rate JT above everyone because of how he read the game, anticipated what was about to happen, his bravery and his second to none leadership skills.  

Not even a debate.  

Yeah, JT tops the list for me for sure. It will take a serious player to go above him. His level of performance, bravery, leadership and fight were second to none and the fact he did it for as long as he did in a Chelsea shirt, alongside various different partners just underlines how good he was. Whoever played alongside him improved just for the fact he was next to them.