Thiago Silva

JaneB

4 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Undisguised crawling to Matron, @Mark Kelly- for shame!

You want shameless crawling?...I think Cech could have played at the back and been better than Silva or Terry.

When we get to discussing Silve v Terry etc we are in a rarified atmosphere and so so lucky to have such candidates for debate.

What a wonderful player he is, he is right up there with the best. His vision, positioning and awareness to danger really are up there with the very best. Even at 38 he compares well to the best of the premier league. His awareness is miles better than Van Dijks which is his achilles heel and his organisational skills are better than anyone at City (though Ake is turning into a decent player), I would even rate him higher than Varane who sometimes gets caught out of position.

Having finally seen him play live V Bournemouth i can say that he makes it look incredibly easy. I hope he stays at the club once he finishes playing in some kind of coaching role.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Interview with Thiago from PariMatch that seems to have been pooled (seen virtually word for word the same in Mirror, Mail, etc)

https://www.parimatch.co.uk/blog/sports/press/parimatch-meets-thiago-silva-chelsea-potter-premier-league/

Ridiculous, why isn't he complaining about VAR not giving a penalty in the West Ham game?!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Thiago Silva's wife insists the defender is STAYING at Chelsea | Daily Mail Online

I don't care how old Thiago Silva is, this is good news for me with the talk that's been going on in the last few days.

Go Belle!!!!! 🙂 

And from the man himself...

Speaking to ESPN Brasil following Chelsea's 2-2 draw against Nottingham Forest, Silva said: "I have a contract here, right? It's strange, because several things have come out [in the media] and fans become very passionate. Some curse me on social media, others say 'Come soon' and some say 'If you don't come now, don't come at all.

"It's even boring for me. It's been only two months since I renewed with Chelsea, if I'm not mistaken, and I've always fulfilled my contracts. I only won't stay here if Chelsea decide they don't want me for next season, or if the new coach arrives and doesn't want me to stay. I intend to fulfil the contract that I signed until next year and then, next year, we'll see what happens."

(Sunday Mirror)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Speaking to ESPN Brasil following Chelsea's 2-2 draw against Nottingham Forest, Silva said: "I have a contract here, right? It's strange, because several things have come out [in the media] and fans become very passionate. Some curse me on social media, others say 'Come soon' and some say 'If you don't come now, don't come at all.

"It's even boring for me. It's been only two months since I renewed with Chelsea, if I'm not mistaken, and I've always fulfilled my contracts. I only won't stay here if Chelsea decide they don't want me for next season, or if the new coach arrives and doesn't want me to stay. I intend to fulfil the contract that I signed until next year and then, next year, we'll see what happens."

Thiago has a record of being a man of his word. Once he had signed the contract extension he wasn't going anywhere. Hopefully the Arg/Bra antipathy won't mar an otherwise fantastic tenure at our club. He has so much wisdom to impart to our young back line.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Thiago has a record of being a man of his word. Once he had signed the contract extension he wasn't going anywhere. Hopefully the Arg/Bra antipathy won't mar an otherwise fantastic tenure at our club. He has so much wisdom to impart to our young back line.

Should be down to the incoming coach if he stays or goes. Sentiment is great but doesn't make you successful

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t post the link at present but TS on Twitter saying he and the family will be here for at least the next two seasons.  His elder son has renewed his contract with Chelsea for another two years.

Yippee!!!!

A player who really does love Chelsea 💙

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Can’t post the link at present but TS on Twitter saying he and the family will be here for at least the next two seasons.  His elder son has renewed his contract with Chelsea for another two years.

Yippee!!!!

A player who really does love Chelsea 💙

That is great news. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

Not sure how much longer Thiago will be playing but will be great to have him still around…….and Belle!!!!!! 🤣

I don't think I'll ever forget that shot of him in the stands celebrating that goal against Atletico Madrid during Covid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the criticism Silva is getting this season. He's gone from being a Rolls Royce of a central defender last season to being the a symptom of this season's malaise. People are saying that we are only playing three at the back (which we're not) simply in order to shoe horn him into the side as (apparently) he can't play in a four at the back (which he can and he does).

I have yet to see the guy embarrassed due to his speed since he joined the club. What he may lack in acceleration he more than makes up for in positioning, an attribute all too few of his colleagues possess. It's no wonder he (or his wife) took to social media the other day to explain the defensive tactics. He must be so frustrated with the attitude of our fans.

I don't think Silva has got much criticism at all. How we're playing and the number of defensively minded/skilled players we have on the field at any moment has, however, very reasonably been questioned. It is a little unedifying seeing Silva argue online with fans about the back 3/back 4 argument, and while I think he is clearly right (we have typically had a back 4, plus Chilwell as some sort of winger), it misses that fundamental point.

I think it's natural and understandable that many fans would be shifting to wanting to see younger players who will be here beyond May 2024 getting a look in. I dare say Silva is very sympathetic to that, and it's for the same reason he's been handing over the armband to Fernández. 

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I don't understand the criticism Silva is getting this season. He's gone from being a Rolls Royce of a central defender last season to being the a symptom of this season's malaise. People are saying that we are only playing three at the back (which we're not) simply in order to shoe horn him into the side as (apparently) he can't play in a four at the back (which he can and he does).

I have yet to see the guy embarrassed due to his speed since he joined the club. What he may lack in acceleration he more than makes up for in positioning, an attribute all too few of his colleagues possess. It's no wonder he (or his wife) took to social media the other day to explain the defensive tactics. He must be so frustrated with the attitude of our fans.

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't think Silva has got much criticism at all. How we're playing and the number of defensively minded/skilled players we have on the field at any moment has, however, very reasonably been questioned. It is a little unedifying seeing Silva argue online with fans about the back 3/back 4 argument, and while I think he is clearly right (we have typically had a back 4, plus Chilwell as some sort of winger), it misses that fundamental point.

I think it's natural and understandable that many fans would be shifting to wanting to see younger players who will be here beyond May 2024 getting a look in. I dare say Silva is very sympathetic to that, and it's for the same reason he's been handing over the armband to Fernández. 

Personally . if there is an error anywhere its shifting Chilwell to incorporate Colwill who fine player though he is , reportedly re-signed because he had guarantees regarding game time from Pochettino .

Now we can't drop Silva as he's a proper star defender , we have to play Colwill and apparently need Desasi due to his height and physicality so poor old Chilwell is finding himself in no mans land , caught between where he wants to be and what the coach wants him to do and in my opinion its working to our detriment. 

I'd be dropping Colwill who's attitude has had me raising my eyebrows for a while now , his latest quote being that he likes Pochettino as he will push him which he "needs" was an echo of what Sanchez said about the goalkeeping coach both implying that left to their own devices they'd be shirking their responsibilities .  Maybe it's just coincidence that Sanchez has all the gravitas and mobility  of a bag of cement?

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Chelsea: Thiago Silva hits back at criticism after Forest defeat | Football | Metro News

I don't think he was 'arguing'.  He was explaining his viewpoint in a very nice and respectful way.

He's a class act which is something sadly lacking at Chelsea Football Club at the moment.

He's getting older, in football terms, and is obviously past his peak but I'm willing to put my trust in him way more than most of our other players.  He must get so frustrated looking around him these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/02/2023 at 09:10, Rob B said:

I’m not sure many will agree with me, but I think he’s the best defender I’ve ever watched play for us, with the exception of John Terry.

I put him above Carvalho, Gallas, Luiz, Desailly etc.  An absolute rolls royce of a player

Not even close for me.

1. John Terry (by a country mile)

2. Riccy Carvalho

3. William Gallas

4. Marcel Desailly

5. Thiago Silva or Gary Cahill (close call for me)

7. Branislav Ivanovic

8. Frank Leboeuf

9. Antonio Rudiger

10. David Luiz 

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not even close for me.

1. John Terry (by a country mile)

2. Riccy Carvalho

3. William Gallas

4. Marcel Desailly

5. Thiago Silva or Gary Cahill (close call for me)

7. Branislav Ivanovic

8. Frank Leboeuf

9. Antonio Rudiger

10. David Luiz 

But you've put him 5th?!!!!!