Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

8 hours ago, Rob B said:

There's definitely a number I'd think warrant careful consideration.   For example....

• How do you choose four centre-backs from  Silva, Badiashille, Koulibaly, Fofana, Chalobah and Colwill? 
  • Is there room in the squad for Gallagher AND Chukwuemeka?  
  • Is Havertz and Nkunku (who isn't on the list yet) enough or will we need an out & out number 9?   If so, who makes way? 
  • Are we going to buy a new goalkeeper and if so,  who becomes number 2 out of Kepa or Mendy?  If any? 
  • Assuming Zakaira goes, another two from Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho and RLC need to go.  The latter won't want to and you can't force him, so you're then looking at the first three. 

It's all well and good making decisions on some of these players on paper,  but given the wages we pay and most of them probably being quite settled living the high life in London,  it's another thing trying to shift them on.   It's why RLC, Kepa, Koulibaly and Havertz probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon even if they don't always make people's dream squads. 

To address some of these points.

• The centre-back situation for me is fairly straight forward to sort - Silva, Badiashile, Koulibaly, Fofana and Chalobah go in as our 5 main central defensive options. Colwill heads out on loan again where he can continue to learn and develop. As talented as he is for a near 20 year old he's still only got 7 top flight appearance to his name, and it's not as if all of his performance have been perfect - despite some of the recent hype and admiration for his on ball qualities. The group we retain provide a good mix of experience and youthfulness.
  • I think there's room for both. I'd argue Chukwuemeka and Hall are probably vying for that last sort of midfield position, more than it would be Gallagher and Chukwuemeka. 
  • I'm not sure we'll really need to move anyone out to accomodate a proper CF. Broja will likely miss a good chunk of next season, with a loan afterwards being a high possibility I'd imagine. D.Fofana is another young raw striker who again I imagine will spend next season elsewhere. This leaves Auba, who is most likely on the chopping block as it is. We can virtually just one in, one out. Then use Havertz and Nkunku as alternative options when desired.
  • Again, I don't think the Mendy vs Kepa situation is all too difficult to sort. Mendy is quite clearly not seen as being capable enough at ground level to play in the manner we choose. Given how Potter sorted the same situation at Brighton when he got rid of Matt Ryan, we'll likely shift Mendy (who is easier to move on from anyway) and bring in someone else to challenge Kepa that's also comfortable with the ball at ground level. 
  • Doesn't matter if Loftus-Cheek wants to go or not really, he's not good enough. His contract also ends in 2024 so a decision on his future is inevitable anyway. If he does stay he'll be at the bottom of the pecking order, if he's okay with that then I think we'll just keep him around and let him go on a free the following season. If that's not what he wants then he'll need to accept his future lies elsewhere. His days are numbered either way. 

Of course, it's not going to be as easy as it sounds on paper to find solutions with some of these options. We are however fortunate that contracts situations for some of these guys lay in our favour, therefore it puts the onus back on the player to make a decision on their future. Worst case for some is that they dig in for another 12 months and leave on free transfers, that's not the end of the world should it happen. 

As long as we don't try and be greedy with some of the fees we demand, then I think we'll be able to shift the vast majority of those we want to move on from.

8 hours ago, Bison said:

@Rob B with regards to the CB situation: 

One thing that I’ve noticed about Kouliably is that he struggles badly to defend 1v1 situations in wide areas. His lateral movement/quickness is really poor so he is very easy to beat. With the way Badiashille has slotted in seamlessly I think there’s a big question mark on Koulibaly’s involvement beyond this season. Of course this will depend on finding clubs willing to cover his salary and ultimately I think that will prove difficult.

Badiashille/Colwill for LCB and Fofana/Silva for RCB with Chalobah as additional cover across the backline. Chalobah definitely seems like a squad player at this point and if he’s happy to provide cover for rotation and injuries then excellent.

And if the reports are true that we are in the process of signing a RB then that would also give you the option to have Reece James cover at RCB if there's an injury crisis.

As a back line that would leave us with:

• LB - Cucurella & Chilwell
  • LCB - Badiashile & Colwill 
  • RCB - Fofana, Silva & Chalobah
  • RB - Reece James & Gusto*

I'd be happy with that.

Koulibaly's strengths aren't, or have ever been, in the wider areas. He's like Thiago Silva, he likes to control the central areas by being aggressive and stepping up. That's not been as easy for him to do here for a variety of reasons, but with respects to his efforts in the wider areas he also hasn't been helped by the fact we've had issue at LB all season. That's created extra demand on the CB, whether it's been Koulibaly or anyone else that's play there, to do more work in these areas. Granted, he's also not been up to his usual standard in areas where he's meant to excel in either. I would however keep him around for another season regardless, he isn't the first player that's needed a season to come to grips with English football. 

I know you'r highly interested in injecting Colwill immediately into the side, but that defensive group in the central areas would be quite young and raw. As nicely as Badiashile has settled so far, he's also had the benefit of 100+ senior appearances for Monaco and been part of the first team setup there since he was like 17. Colwill is 20 next month and has 7 PL appearances to his name. That's a huge gap in expoernece irrespective of talent. You remove Thiago Silva from the lineup and all of a sudden we're looking at potential pairings where Chalobah is the senior statesman at 24 (in July). That''s not necessarily ideal either.

So I think keeping Koulibaly for another year and seeing if he settles bette, while giving Colwill another season of regular football at the top level makes the most sense. Overall giving us a good blent of experience and youthfulness. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

As long as we don't try and be greedy with some of the fees we demand, then I think we'll be able to shift the vast majority of those we want to move on from.

I think that Todd & Co will be/are prepared to be pragmatic with their approach to outgoing players..

The squad needs trimming and at this time I feel they want to get the "stock" down to a financial and selection level of viability as would any "overstocked" organisation.

No point in holding out for an unreasonable or market overprice

Take a loss and move on with a stable wage and trading policy.

1 minute ago, chara said:

I think that Todd & Co will be/are prepared to be pragmatic with their approach to outgoing players..

The squad needs trimming and at this time I feel they want to get the "stock" down to a financial and selection level of viability as would any "overstocked" organisation.

No point in holding out for an unreasonable or market overprice

Take a loss and move on with a stable wage and trading policy.

I agree. 

At worst I think we may try and recoup as much as we can in terms of remaining costs on some players. For example, I saw something about Pulisic's remaining value on his 1.5 years being around £10.6m or so. If ownership can at least recoup that sort of figure then I think they'll be happy to cut ties without batting an eye. 

@Michael TuckerHow serious was all the chatter about Gordon?

With hind sight and, as you say,we've done ok so far in the market, the media reporting back then seems at odds with the actual approach of Todd & Co over the season.

I may be wrong but (and I hope not) it looks like just another media semi frenzy without real substance....looking at the players in he doesn't seem to fit the profile.

17 hours ago, Rob B said:

I'd be very happy with that, but as you quite rightly say, shifting Koulibaly will be difficult.  He's on a 4 year contract at £160k per week.  No PL club would take him off the back of his performances this season, and no one overseas can match that sort of offer for a player approaching 32. 

Unless we loan him out, I'd imagine he sticks around...

I've read that he's on a lot more than that, nearly double that actually. I would have thought 160k would have been easier to offload nowadays.

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Koulibaly's strengths aren't, or have ever been, in the wider areas. He's like Thiago Silva, he likes to control the central areas by being aggressive and stepping up. That's not been as easy for him to do here for a variety of reasons, but with respects to his efforts in the wider areas he also hasn't been helped by the fact we've had issue at LB all season. That's created extra demand on the CB, whether it's been Koulibaly or anyone else that's play there, to do more work in these areas. Granted, he's also not been up to his usual standard in areas where he's meant to excel in either. I would however keep him around for another season regardless, he isn't the first player that's needed a season to come to grips with English football. 

I know you'r highly interested in injecting Colwill immediately into the side, but that defensive group in the central areas would be quite young and raw. As nicely as Badiashile has settled so far, he's also had the benefit of 100+ senior appearances for Monaco and been part of the first team setup there since he was like 17. Colwill is 20 next month and has 7 PL appearances to his name. That's a huge gap in expoernece irrespective of talent. You remove Thiago Silva from the lineup and all of a sudden we're looking at potential pairings where Chalobah is the senior statesman at 24 (in July). That''s not necessarily ideal either.

So I think keeping Koulibaly for another year and seeing if he settles bette, while giving Colwill another season of regular football at the top level makes the most sense. Overall giving us a good blent of experience and youthfulness. 

With regards to Colwill, I really do want him integrated into the team at the earliest available opportunity. However, if he signs a new long-term deal and is happy to have another year out on loan then OK fair enough. I just don't want us to lose a young player this good because we're afraid to give him a go a 'year early'.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

I've read that he's on a lot more than that, nearly double that actually. I would have thought 160k would have been easier to offload nowadays.

I believe the £160k figure thrown around is after tax. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

With regards to Colwill, I really do want him integrated into the team at the earliest available opportunity. However, if he signs a new long-term deal and is happy to have another year out on loan then OK fair enough. I just don't want us to lose a young player this good because we're afraid to give him a go a 'year early'.

It's not so much about "being afraid to give him a go a year early", but more about maintaining a good blend of youthfulness and experience down back. Being too inexperienced can be just as detrimental as being too old, arguably even more so in defence where central defenders traditionally develop slower than other outfield players. 

We'll see what happens though, he's got plenty to still do at Brighton first once he returns to fitness. 

• Like 1

Most of the rumours today are about player sales. Had he not been injured, it seems Pulisic could have been first out of the door this month. As it is, Ziyech is wanted by 3 clubs; Everton, Newcastle (possibly loan with firm buy clause) and Roma.

CFC would prefer not to strengthen Newcastle just now. Stories about Everton bidding £20m or about to bid for £20m, £25m or £28m (all utterly fanciful at the moment).

EDIT Everton have now been put up for sale. They have no manager. Would they really be buying players right now? END EDIT

Regarding incoming players; most likely if we do do another deal this window, is Malo Gusto (right back) of Lyon.

Brighton are looking for a Caicedo replacement, but are allegedly wanting £100m for Caicedo. No new approach to Benfica for Felix. Neither of these last two look likely to move in January now as both Brighton and Benfica have made it clear they want to keep them until the end of the season. Felix still keen on Chelsea, but no longer making waves for it to happen this window now.

Gussto, on the other hand, seems keen to join us asap

Just over 6 full days until the window closes

Edited by Bob Singleton

5 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Most of the rumours today are about player sales. Had he not been injured, it seems Pulisic could have been first out of the door this month. As it is, Ziyech is wanted by 3 clubs; Everton, Newcastle (possibly loan with firm buy clause) and Roma.

CFC would prefer not to strengthen Newcastle just now. Stories about Everton bidding £20m or about to bid for £20m, £25m or £28m (all utterly fanciful at the moment).

EDIT Everton have now been put up for sale. They have no manager. Would they really be buying players right now? END EDIT

Regarding incoming players; most likely if we do do another deal this window, is Malo Gusto (right back) of Lyon.

Brighton are looking for a Caicedo replacement, but are allegedly wanting £100m for Caicedo. No new approach to Benfica for Felix. Neither of these last two look likely to move in January now as both Brighton and Benfica have made it clear they want to keep them until the end of the season. Felix still keen on Chelsea, but no longer making waves for it to happen this window now.

Gussto, on the other hand, seems keen to join us asap

Just over 6 full days until the window closes

Pulisic's injury has only delayed the inevitable really, he'll be gone in the summer as he heads into the final year of his deal. What an absolute waste of £60m this whole thing has been. 4 years on and I am still utterly perplexed why we signed him in the first place, much less spent want we did. Send him to Leeds, they seem to be collecting American's and he's about their level. As for Ziyech, hope he ends up in Serie A. I can see him cooking in the right setup.

Also, I had heard the stories about Everton being put up for sale not being true?

I think we'll end up with Gusto and that's about it. If Brighton are slapping a £100m asking price on Caicedo then we're better off just putting that money into getting Enzo Fernandez imo. 

4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Been 5 days since we gave someone a 16 year contract, sort it out Todd!

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if our dealings are done for January, or if there were multiple incomings and outgoings.

I see us bringing in Gusto at RB and that likely concludes our business in January, unless Todd has a few surprises up his sleeve. 

15 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I see us bringing in Gusto at RB and that likely concludes our business in January, unless Todd has a few surprises up his sleeve. 

I'd be satisfied with that for the rest of the season as we have Zakaria, Chuk and Hall as reliable midfield options to Jorginho, Kova and Kante plus Santos if he doesn't go out on loan. 

Who knows? If one of them turns out to be a diamond, we save £106m. 

Edited by Ham
Forgot Gallagher.

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'd be satisfied with that for the rest of the season as we have Zakaria, Chuk and Hall as reliable midfield options to Jorginho, Kova and Kante plus Santos if he doesn't go out on loan. 

Yeah, I think we've got enough options overall just manage through the games remaining even if it's not perfect. 

I think we'll get better deals on either Enzo or Caicedo in the summer anyway than what we're being quoted now, so no need to force the issue. Although, we may face increased competition for their signatures. There'll be other options out there though in the summer. 

Amadou Onana is being widely touted and I for one would welcome him here. He's young (21), fast, big, skilful and committed. If GP doesn't like Ziyech then a swap might be a mutually beneficial solution, although persuading Hakim to move to them might be a stumbling block if he has any sense!

9 hours ago, Ham said:

Santos is an interesting one. Looks mature beyond his years (18). Currently captaining Brazil U20s at the South American championships where he's scored 3 goals in 3 games. Watching him play reminds me of a young Michael Ballack. Gets stuck in to defensive duties, great ball control, vision and passing of someone with greater experience than you'd expect from an 18 year old, and clearly has an eye for a goal.

11 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Amadou Onana is being widely touted and I for one would welcome him here. He's young (21), fast, big, skilful and committed. If GP doesn't like Ziyech then a swap might be a mutually beneficial solution, although persuading Hakim to move to them might be a stumbling block if he has any sense!

Linked to Onana last summer. Nothing this January until the last day or so when the ridiculous Anthony Gordon rumours re-emerged and Onana was also mentioned. He's not lacking in the skills we require, and he'd be a lot cheaper than Caicedo or Fernandez

Reading reports that Onana turned down a move to Chelsea, I can't help but think we're being saved from ourselves if true.

I have only seen him a few times and wasn't impressed. His passing in particular leaves a lot to be desired.

Zakaria isn't out with a long injury so I'm not sure why we can't see the season out with him who is a similiar-ish type of player to Onana.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Linked to Onana last summer. Nothing this January until the last day or so when the ridiculous Anthony Gordon rumours re-emerged and Onana was also mentioned. He's not lacking in the skills we require, and he'd be a lot cheaper than Caicedo or Fernandez

Not sure just how much playing for Everton has impacted things but his possession based stats make for some horrendous reading. And they weren't exactly better in France either. 

Don't think he's someone we should be looking at in any capacity. 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Not sure just how much playing for Everton has impacted things but his possession based stats make for some horrendous reading. And they weren't exactly better in France either. 

Don't think he's someone we should be looking at in any capacity. 

Lies, damn lies and statistics as they say. His highlights reel (yes I know) looks extremely good and if the current regime is prepared to trust their own observations then so am I.