CFCnet 23/24 awards - voting OPEN! ×

Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I've seen several journos now reporting that we're looking for a left back this summer (in addition to a goalkeeper and attacker).

One of Chilwell or Cucurella has to be sold. In an ideal world they would both be moved on but I think shifting even one of them is going to be incredibly difficult.

Edited by Bison

24 minutes ago, Bison said:

I've seen several journos now reporting that we're looking for a left back this summer (in addition to a goalkeeper and attacker).

One of Chilwell or Cucurella has to be sold. In an ideal world they would both be moved on but I think shifting even one of them is going to be incredibly difficult.

I wouldn’t put it past the gruesome twosome or the coach to think that having two wing-backs in the team on at least one side is the way forward (or backwards!). Now in fairness for 8 minutes it looked ok on the right-hand side against Forest. But I’d say again, Hudson-Odoi lost the James run by getting fixated on the man inside.

If we’re looking for a left back, I would guess it is to move Chilwell on, due to fitness/medical concerns. I’d be very surprised to see them move Cucurella on after his impact in the second half of the season.

I still think it’s a big if, as I don’t think Cucurella is a major injury concern and whilst Chilwell is, we also have Colwill that can back up in that position. I just think it’s a position that shouldn’t be a priority until other key areas have been looked at.

• Agree 3

47 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Why do we need a left back? 

Because 'modern' coaches are obsessed by Wing-Backs (and midfielders), the latter being why good strikers are in such short supply.

No one's been focussed on them, as you don't need forwards according to the new coaching-methods/handbook.

Edited by east lower

43 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I'd keep them. Truthfully one of the last positions we need to add is left back. Cucurella is a class act and is becoming the player we all thought he was at Brighton. Chillwell is one of the best left backs in the world on his day and Chalobah and Colwill can both play there as well. 

I agree up to a point , Chilwell needs to be coached to look up when crossing  instead of just "putting it in an area" other than that he's not too bad , Cucu is coming along nicely , I did hear a rumour we were after a taller player to help out aerially so it wouldn't surprise me if Chilwell , with his injury history is moved on.

Edited by Mark Kelly

2 hours ago, Bison said:

LB would certainly be a lower priority for me, behind a GK and CF

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

I'd keep them. Truthfully one of the last positions we need to add is left back. Cucurella is a class act and is becoming the player we all thought he was at Brighton. Chillwell is one of the best left backs in the world on his day and Chalobah and Colwill can both play there as well. 

With all due respect, I disagree with every word of this.

Cucurella is not a class act, he is a pint sized defensive liability.

Chilwell has not been a good player for more than two years and is barely ever fit anyway.

As bad as Cucurella is I'd keep him out of the two simply because he's not injured as often. 

We absolutely need a LB this summer, one that can defend and isn't useless with the ball at his feet.

If the briefings to the journos are correct then I'm glad somebody has noticed what a car crash LB has been all season.

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

If the briefings to the journos are correct then I'm glad somebody has noticed what a car crash LB has been all season.

Makes you wonder who's doing these briefings??? 

Whoever it is has just put up the cost of any LB, GK or Striker we go in for - Not very smart, or someone who doesn't care much.

22 minutes ago, east lower said:

Whoever it is has just put up the cost of any LB, GK or Striker we go in for - Not very smart, or someone who doesn't care much.

You don't have to be a genius to work out what team needs what, so I expect a lot of it is guesswork.

Moreover, conversations between clubs, agents and players would have started months ago, so these things get out. 

35 minutes ago, east lower said:

Things aren't kept as closely guarded as they were under the old regime. The new guys are very much happy to breif journos and twitter people like Romano.

I'm just amazed that so many on here believe we're fine at LB and wouldn't change things when it's by far the weakest position for us in the back 4.

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You don't have to be a genius to work out what team needs what, so I expect a lot of it is guesswork.

Moreover, conversations between clubs, agents and players would have started months ago, so these things get out. 

It was a kind of rhetorical response.

The press have got a friend on the inside in my view, but we have other issues and bigger priorities other than LB and GK - Centre-Half and Striker being two.

15 minutes ago, east lower said:

It was a kind of rhetorical response.

The press have got a friend on the inside in my view, but we have other issues and bigger priorities other than LB and GK - Centre-Half and Striker being two.

GK would be my no.1 priority. 

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

GK would be my no.1 priority. 

I think Petrovic does OK. One or two difficult near-post moments, but for a new keeper in the league he is doing OK for me.

He'll only get better. Bloke at Dortmund, might be an upgrade, fella at Athleti seems on the downward stage now. Other than that, I don't see any obvious candidates that would move.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, east lower said:

I think Petrovic does OK.

Yes, he does "Ok" but it's a hugely important position. 

He has had a few howlers, like Burnley and Sheff Utd and the Garnacho header........my wider problem is that he doesn't seem to save much at all. Not goals that you would say are definitely his fault, but ones that an elite goalie might save. The CHO goal, the Palace goal at Selhurst, the 2nd Villa goal at Villa Park......just 3 off the top of my head. 

26 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I would only bring in another GK this summer if we have a genuine top-quality option, otherwise I would wait until next summer when we're hopefully heading into the CL.

yeah, agree. I'm not interested in another ordinary keeper, but a top class no1. makes a big difference to us IMO

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

yeah, agree. I'm not interested in another ordinary keeper, but a top class no1. makes a big difference to us IMO

To ANY side..... for all the "Modern" changes in the game the "old" spine of a side concept,,,keeper CH CF still holds true regardless of how those basic positions are defined or called these days,,,keeper central dominant defender striker leading a line...matters not the titles or how much more "fluid" positions are now..or am I just too OG?

Petr is as good (or average if you wish)as any of the wide range of average EPL keepers on display every week,,,as with The Poch no point in changing like for like or near enough. Am I the only one who sees Petr make competent saves week in week out that imho Sanchez and Kepa made look difficult?

Edited by chara
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, chara said:

To ANY side..... for all the "Modern" changes in the game the "old" spine of a side concept,,,keeper CH CF still holds true regardless of how those basic positions are defined or called these days,,,keeper central dominant defender striker leading a line...matters not the titles or how much more "fluid" positions are now..or am I just too OG?

Petr is as good (or average if you wish)as any of the wide range of average EPL keepers on display every week,,,as with The Poch no point in changing like for like or near enough. Am I the only one who sees Petr make competent saves week in week out that imho Sanchez and Kepa made look difficult?

No, you're not the only one, Chara! I am happy with Petrovic at Number 1. I think he is a good, uncomplicated keeper who generally makes the saves he should and is capable of real quality. His distribution is fine and he has plenty of scope, at his age, to keep improving. He has made mistakes, but all keepers do and there are many areas to be strengthened before looking at the keeper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@RDCW....uncomplicated keeper..in a nutshell...... little is made of the fact that he has made a jump in level of competition and it his first season at a higher level.....gets a B term grade from me and take into account the chopping and changing of line ups in front of him (and the form of those chopped and changed)...it could be far worse and every keeper gets caught out..even PC although selective memory seems to kick in at times!

Best of the three senior keepers available and although I don't see as much non EPL football as I used to I can't really see anyone available who would provide a significant upgrade,

I occasionally attempt to break down goals conceded from a keepers pov as best I see it but do so less now as most knee jerk criticism is already set in stone if not reality!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I can’t see the need for a new left back. I’d be tempted to sell Chilwell if we got the right offer. Gusto looked very useful when he was thrown into left back in a couple of game too. If we can keep James fit, then I can see Gusto filling in on the left at times too, without wanting to physically drain him. 
As for GK’s , I’m not fussed about signing one personally. If we are looking for one, I would be trying to get Ortega out of City. He’s looked very good when called upon. You would think Ederson will remain N01, and with Ortega being early 30s, maybe that promise of 1st team football could tempt him. He’s surprised me how good he has looked, as I was not familiar with him before he joined them. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

The left back rumours just might have some truth to them, been told that after the obvious..... Lukaku, Kepa, Ziyech, Maatsen, Hall, Broja, top of the list to sell are Chilwell and Sterling.

I've always been a big fan of Chilwell and had many a debate on here about him, when fit I think he's one of the best in the world but he's just not ever fit. The last three seasons he's started 30 league games. Out of a possible 114. 

You just can't let that carry on and the decision whether to sell him or not isn't even debatable.

31 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

The left back rumours just might have some truth to them, been told that after the obvious..... Lukaku, Kepa, Ziyech, Maatsen, Hall, Broja, top of the list to sell are Chilwell and Sterling.

I've always been a big fan of Chilwell and had many a debate on here about him, when fit I think he's one of the best in the world but he's just not ever fit. The last three seasons he's started 30 league games. Out of a possible 114. 

You just can't let that carry on and the decision whether to sell him or not isn't even debatable.

That fitness record does make the decision to sell Hall even crazier.

And no, he didn't want to leave because his family are all Geordies. He had just signed a new deal.

I'm sure the club would love to sell Chilwell and Sterling but there's very little chance anyone wants to buy them at this stage of their careers. 

53 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

That fitness record does make the decision to sell Hall even crazier.

And no, he didn't want to leave because his family are all Geordies. He had just signed a new deal.

I'm sure the club would love to sell Chilwell and Sterling but there's very little chance anyone wants to buy them at this stage of their careers. 

I think they're hoping Saudi will be interested again.