CFCnet 23/24 awards - voting OPEN! ×

Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

HOW CHELSEA SHOULD MAKE FRIENDS, INFLUENCE PEOPLE AND KEEP CONOR GALLAGHER

On the subject of FFP sales to balance the books lets have a little analysis of who is going and how much for while I wait for my DHL package to be delivered. 

Kepa will go, fee around 11m. Hall will go, 35m. Maatsen the same, 35m. Broja will go, fee around 15m. Malang Sarr and Ziyech will go on a free, Lukaku we'll get around 30m for.  Those are the obvious ones. So there you have circa 125-135m.

Figure on another 20m or so from a handful of Academy graduates being sold, plus Moreira and a few of the youngsters out of loan. Possibility we'll get 10m+ for Datro-Fofana as well. 

I'd reckon you could get 60-70m for Enzo no problem right now and the cynic in me suggests him being off in the summer could maybe be a main reason why he chose to have the groin surgery early so he would be fit for when the window opens.  As others have said up-thread, he isn't quick or tall enough for the Prem and that isn't going to change. I think we need to cash in. 

The club are in a tough spot as Cucurella, Chalobah and Gallagher are three players they would have been very keen to move on for nice big fees and all three are playing out of their skins right now and any decision to push them out is not going to go down well with the fans, and you sense with the playing staff either. Chalobah and Cucurella in particular look safe as replacing them with better quality is going to cost vastly more than we would get for them and we cannot afford to do that. 

So you look at the squad and try to see where you could improve - Sanchez would be an obvious one but we paid 30m for him and we will be lucky to get 20m tops for him, likely not even that. Nice lad, but clearly not Premier League level. Raheem Sterling has struggled and I think will be on his way, but who is going to pay his salary, much less a sizeable fee? If we cannot encourage him to go to Saudi, we'll struggle to move him on. Lets say we manage to get 20m for him. 

Badiashile looked nailed on for an exit just three weeks ago but has found some form from somewhere to throw that into some doubt, and like Chalobah is in a position where we already need to strengthen. We could get 25m for him but he would need to be replaced. If the club maybe think Bashir Humphreys is ready to take his left sided centreback spot as backup to Levi Colwill then he will go, and we know be has some admirers in Italy. 

Last one is Ugochukwu who I really like. I think he has something Caicedo and Lavia do not and if I was in charge I'd be keeping Big Les. Doubts over a lack of pace do persist, but he is tenacious, intelligent, hard working, good on the ball and superb in the tackle and is a threat from set pieces. He uses his size and physicality well and I do rate him. But, given that we need to trim the squad and the players we already have at DM, might the club be willing to move him on, given that we would at least get what we paid for him? Potentially another 30m there. 

In summary I would suggest we have enough there (circa 280-310m if we sell Kepa, Maatsen, Hall, Lukaku, Moreira, Broja, Sarr, Ziyech, Datro-Fofana, Enzo, Sanchez, Sterling, Badiashile and Ugochukwu plus a few of the youngsters who aren't going to make it) to get out of our FFP hole and leave enough to spend probably £200m (plus whatever the club wants to put in) on a top striker, a top centrehalf, a top left winger and a top keeper. 

The really big call there is moving Enzo out but not replacing him, but I think retaining Gallagher is more important and I think we have all seen enough from Chuwuemeka to say with surety that he is more than good enough to play a bigger role as an attacking number 8 or number 10. He's more mobile, quicker, more physical and scores more goals. Michael Golding from the Academy squad is extremely highly rated within the club and so are Cesare Casadei and Leo Castledine, so we aren't short on options. Another nuance may be the desire from Poch to play Lavia screening the back four and have Caicedo move up a bit, which would mean Gallagher playing the attacking 8 which is another meaningful option.  Bear in mind we also have Andrey Santos doing the business at Strasbourg as well who would be a superb addition to the squad if Enzo does go. 

Did you consider the PL PSR rules in your calculations, and how the whole of the PL is nervous is overspending as witnessed in the Jan transfer window. 

Apart from Hall which is a done deal, can’t see any clubs matching your valuations on players. You say Enzo is £60m, which club out there will pay that sort of money for him?

IMO some are going to be shocked at how low players will be sold for this summer. Let’s not forget we are not the only club with surplus to offload 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Did you consider the PL PSR rules in your calculations, and how the whole of the PL is nervous is overspending as witnessed in the Jan transfer window. 

Apart from Hall which is a done deal, can’t see any clubs matching your valuations on players. You say Enzo is £60m, which club out there will pay that sort of money for him?

IMO some are going to be shocked at how low players will be sold for this summer. Let’s not forget we are not the only club with surplus to offload 

What are the rules and how do they affect the numbers? Would you mind clarifying?

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

What are the rules and how do they affect the numbers? Would you mind clarifying?

It’s above my pay grade to explain the ins and out of PSR. However, PSR rules seem quite clear, Everton and Forrest are two clubs impacted by the rules, which seemed to make most PL clubs nervous, hence the very quite January transfer window, which I believe was one of the quietest in PL history. 

Regarding our club and PSR if you believe the media, it seems to be a major player in this summers accounting and  recruitment. On the other hand it could all be BS with our club’s financial affairs and PSR. 

42 minutes ago, ROTG said:

It’s above my pay grade to explain the ins and out of PSR. However, PSR rules seem quite clear, Everton and Forrest are two clubs impacted by the rules, which seemed to make most PL clubs nervous, hence the very quite January transfer window, which I believe was one of the quietest in PL history. 

Regarding our club and PSR if you believe the media, it seems to be a major player in this summers accounting and  recruitment. On the other hand it could all be BS with our club’s financial affairs and PSR. 

I’ll have a look into it and revert for the group. Sounds like it is important. 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2024 at 09:21, Bison said:

Should they not offer him a new deal I hope Gallagher walks on a free to teach the sporting directors a lesson.

He should not, under any circumstances, let them force him out because they need to balance the books after so much unnecessary spending.

He's going to the Euros if healthy this summer. He can afford to gamble on himself next year and sign as a free agent elsewhere in 25/26.

It seems to have gone very quiet on the contract front.

I have to say, up until a few weeks ago I was on the fence with Gallagher, but since Poch put him in his best position (who knew???) he has been superb. We'd be potty to let him walk away, either in the summer, or for nothing in 12 months. 

• Like 1

I mean I understand Estevao Willian is apparently incredibly talented, but we're absolutely crying out for someone on the left.

I suppose he won't actually be playing for us for a few more years anyway... assuming he makes it.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Fabrizio saying Broja to be sold in the summer. Lots of interest.

Kepa will be sold

Ziyech permanent deal to Gala. 

Who the hell from?! I think we probably could have conned someone like West Ham out of a good £10-20m more than we have any hope of getting this summer. I'm genuinely fascinated to see who bites.

Lots of noise today as well about us buying a mate for Mudryk.

26 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Who the hell from?! I think we probably could have conned someone like West Ham out of a good £10-20m more than we have any hope of getting this summer. I'm genuinely fascinated to see who bites.

Lots of noise today as well about us buying a mate for Mudryk.

Ziyech and Kepa contracts end in 2025. One would assume they will hang around until Jan-25 so they can choose their own clubs. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

And a left-footed right winger. We only have Palmer and Madueke in the first team squad. Hutchinson and Angelo on loan, plus Kendry Paez to arrive next summer. Loads of space for another.

That’s without even mentioning Dujuan Richards as well, I mean what’s the point in buying more right wingers? Just develop the ones you have, it’s nonsense. 

Edited by Floyd25

We are going to have problems with the loan rules if we sign more youngsters that can't contribute to the first team right away.

I don't understand why we aren't signing some of these players at strasbourg first, with a view to joining us if they progress. Players like Deivid Washington, Angelo, Big Les. Instead we are sending them on loan there and taking up loan spots, or have them sitting in our reserves. Isn't that one of the benefits of a multi club structure.

Not sure what the FFP rules are like in France, but surely it could help CFC on that front too

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

That’s without even mentioning Dujuan Richards as well, I mean what’s the point in buying more right wingers? Just develop the ones you have, it’s nonsense. 

Richards is a central striker really, not so much a winger. We only have Broja, D.Fofana, Burstow and three other development squad strikers playing in his position...

4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I would not be unhappy if we concentrated on our PSR/FSP position rather than any new acquisitions. Silva will go. We should book the Mason Mount fee and sell Maatsen and Hall. We should try to get what we can for Ziyech, Sarr, Lukaku, and Kepa. We might also consider letting Sterling go to lower the wage bill. Then, we should operate a one-for-one policy. If we acquire a player, we have to raise the cost through departures.

Ziyech had an obligation to buy which has been triggered (according to Fabrizio Romano) so is already off. Small fee but the wages are off the books

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Ziyech had an obligation to buy which has been triggered (according to Fabrizio Romano) so is already off. Small fee but the wages are off the books

IMO his wages were reasonable in the big picture when you see some who are earning more or near to his salary of ~£100k per week "if you believe sportstrac`'

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

IMO his wages were reasonable in the big picture when you see some who are earning more or near to his salary of ~£100k per week "if you believe sportstrac`'

I think his exact salary was confirmed by Galatasary when he signed, which was higher this season when he's been on loan then falling next season when he's fully their player.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Richards is a central striker really, not so much a winger. We only have Broja, D.Fofana, Burstow and three other development squad strikers playing in his position...

Yea true, striker/forward, we still have a plenty of right wingers though, shouldn’t be a priority position.