Ruben Loftus-Cheek

JaneB

• 4 months later...

Good luck, Ruben. He was a hell of a talent coming through the academy and was  unfortunate to get a nasty injury when he did.

Even in the past two seasons I think he's done a decent job wherever he's played and has proven to be a good squad player so it's a real shame to see him go. 

The standing ovation was amazing. Happy for him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I remember watching the academy games years ago and thinking he was going to be our Yaya Toure. 

He glided through games swatting the opposition aside.

Sadly injuries took their roll.  

I for one will miss him.  

36 minutes ago, Ham said:

I remember watching the academy games years ago and thinking he was going to be our Yaya Toure. 

I for one will miss him.  

Unfortunately his languid style makes him look lazy when in reality it's his lack of effort that does it.

There is literally nothing to miss. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

Seems like you put the cat amongst the pigeons there Mark.

How many chances does a player need to impress?

I don't know how committed he is,but he should be part of the get rid brigade...without prejudice.

• Agree 1

On 28/05/2023 at 21:18, Ham said:

I for one will miss him.  

It's difficult to know whether people are being serious here.

'Gliding through games' is one way of putting it.Another is to say he 'strolled through games'.

Go luck to him and I hope he is the first of the many deadwood players that we offload.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, kev61 said:

It's difficult to know whether people are being serious here.

'Gliding through games' is one way of putting it.Another is to say he 'strolled through games'.

Go luck to him and I hope he is the first of the many deadwood players that we offload.

Serious or not

RLC will make the club money, unlike a majority of the deadwoods who are being shown the door

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Serious or not

RLC will make the club money, unlike a majority of the deadwoods who are being shown the door

A lot of the deadwood are in the final year or two of their deals meaning low remaining book values, it's quite possible we make money on several of these players from an accounting perspective. 

Eg: Loftus-Cheek has a remaining book value of around £12.5m, Pulisic £15.6m, Kovacic £10.4m, Ziyech £15.6m and so on. 

Good chance we make money on all the above for example outside of maybe Ziyech, who at worst we make a marginal loss IMO. 

46 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Good chance we make money on all the above for example outside of maybe Ziyech, who at worst we make a marginal loss IMO. 

Potential big negatives are Lukaku, KK, Cucurella, what a balancing act. Fortunately we got a new chief executive who's got a bean counting background  

44 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Reasons to be cheerful...part one.

Part three, might will not be so cheerful, if the club goes spend money on more Brighton level players 

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

Seems like you put the cat amongst the pigeons there Mark.

How many chances does a player need to impress?

I don't know how committed he is,but he should be part of the get rid brigade...without prejudice.

I was possibly being a bit unkind really . however the fact we've seen him running about with purpose once Milan were reportedly interested irked me somewhat.

Maybe he's just fed up with never getting a proper chance in his proper position ?

That said I can't imagine an RLC YouTube video to feature much in the way of highlights unless they do a "Quite good against Spurs" reel .

• Haha 1

I think some are being a little harsh on RLC and I think it comes from what the expectations were for him when he first broke through all those years ago and he’s just never lived up to that, unfortunately. Injuries haven’t helped him, but he’s always willing to work and fight for the team, he’s moved around into various positions without moaning and tries to do the job asked of him. I think he’s a decent player, but for one reason or another he just isn’t quite at the level we would want for where we want to compete.

He’s been a solid squad member, filling in where needed without being spectacular. Not gutted to see him move on, but I won’t be celebrating it either.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I was possibly being a bit unkind really . however the fact we've seen him running about with purpose once Milan were reportedly interested irked me somewhat.

Maybe he's just fed up with never getting a proper chance in his proper position ?

That said I can't imagine an RLC YouTube video to feature much in the way of highlights unless they do a "Quite good against Spurs" reel .

He's just not good enough that is all.Lament the fact he does his best without imposing himself.He is just not good enough.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think some are being a little harsh on RLC and I think it comes from what the expectations were for him when he first broke through all those years ago and he’s just never lived up to that, unfortunately. Injuries haven’t helped him, but he’s always willing to work and fight for the team, he’s moved around into various positions without moaning and tries to do the job asked of him. I think he’s a decent player, but for one reason or another he just isn’t quite at the level we would want for where we want to compete.

He’s been a solid squad member, filling in where needed without being spectacular. Not gutted to see him move on, but I won’t be celebrating it either.

His sore spot is his football brain, he for a lack of a better combination of words - lacks one. 

Dominated at youth level through his physicality, once he broke through into the mens game he couldn't just rely on that to get him through. He spent too many formative years on the fringes of the first team not playing, when in reality he really needed to be out on loan working on his understanding of the game. Too often he looks tactically naive and lost, be it through not reading situations quick enough to react or position himself accordingly. Even now we still see this happening and he gets exposed for it. All of this become highlighted when Jorginho gave him a couple of sprays over the last few seasons about what he needed to be doing, or where he needed to be - in and out of possession. 

Otherwise agree - not sad to see him leave, nor am celebrating it as a win. 

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I said the truth as I see it - my view being that he’s shit - and everyone got all triggered ❄️🤣

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I said the truth as I see it - my view being that he’s shit - and everyone got all triggered ❄️🤣

The idea that people are snowflakes if they happen to disagree with you is, in itself, a bit snowflakey Matt!

• 5 weeks later...