Ruben Loftus-Cheek

JaneB

1 hour ago, Bison said:

IMG-20230630-WA0016.jpg

Love that. 

Proper Chels. Compare that to the mercenaries we’ve bought recently who throws sly digs at the club through their social media accounts.  

In a way he should have been kept for that reason alone - that he genuinely cares for the club. I’d probably have kept him for his utility. But I suppose there are other players in line for his minutes, Santos and Hall. 

Good luck Ruben! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Proper Chels. Compare that to the mercenaries we’ve bought recently who throws sly digs at the club through their social media accounts.  

In a way he should have been kept for that reason alone - that he genuinely cares for the club. I’d probably have kept him for his utility. But I suppose there are other players in line for his minutes, Santos and Hall. 

Good luck Ruben! 

Remember how he really kicked in last couple of games of the season , running fast and really driving forward?

That's when Milan were watching him.

He's been hampered by injury was never the player we thought he would be because everyone else caught up physically with him.

I do wish him nothing but good things though,  he's definitely a decent lad and for what it's worth I think he'll do great in Italy and hope he's a roaring success there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For footballing reasons he should have stayed at Crystal Palace, he was being played in positions which used his abilities far more correctly than we ever have. For club culture reasons, he shouldn't have been sold this summer; how many long serving players who are a part of their clubs key moments in history can be moved on all in the same window before the connection is lost forever? For a club which looked to be shifting towards having a more homegrown connection,  we've lurched totally in the other direction at an extremely fast rate.

I think he'll do very well at AC Milan, not because of the difference in league, but simply because for the first time in his career he won't be a loan player or a squad filler who has to fill in at 3-4 different positions to get a look in; his utility style played against him at times in his career and hopefully he has outlined his expectations to AC Milan. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit suprised by some of his comments yesterday. Nothing derogatory towards the club, but the comment about not happy playing the position he played and wanted to be more box to box.

Whilst he has the skills to be more box to box. There were a number of occasions last season where he got into decent areas in the opposition box and simply wouldn't pull the trigger, despite it being the best option available. He also had games last season where he was not holding, yet he seemed so reluctant to use his stride, pace and physique to actually go past people.

I would love to see him do well in Italy, but he also needs to let the shackles off a bit and stop playing in 3rd gear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Thiago97 said:

He also had games last season where he was not holding, yet he seemed so reluctant to use his stride, pace and physique to actually go past people.

I would love to see him do well in Italy, but he also needs to let the shackles off a bit and stop playing in 3rd gear.

The games where he actually started forging forward were "incredibly" the games which Milan were watching him for towards the end of the season. 

How convenient. 

Agree that he should play with more conviction. 

One of his best games last season was against Spuds at home. Think he was on the right of midfield, possibly even RWB if James was missing. Played with confidence and positivity from the start. The whole team fell off a cliff after that game.

1 minute ago, Backbiter said:

One of his best games last season was against Spuds at home. Think he was on the right of midfield, possibly even RWB if James was missing. Played with confidence and positivity from the start. The whole team fell off a cliff after that game.

it was RWB and he was really good , then reverted to type  ambled through the season like he was asleep until the last couple of games where he suddenly awoke. 

29 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Still amazes me that a dressing room full of International players just allowed it to happen - all it would have taken was 3-5 of them really deciding to lead and demand more from their mates and it never even looked like happening.  

For me, when anyone complains about the clearout, or that certain players should have been kept when they've been moved on this summer, the above point cannot be overstated.  They all had their chance to stop the rot and show their worth to the Club. None of them did it though. So we have to move on.

Excellent point well made.

Enzo looks like the type to hype up those around him now that older, bigger personalities have left a space for him.  Once his English improves I can see him being very vocal.  

He could be seen last season pointing and shouting instructions to everyone around him, mainly out of frustration. 

Once Poch removes the lazy, unmotivated players who constantly refused to accept new ideas or work hard, and once we collectively have a philosophy, hopefully he won't look so frustrated.  

• Agree 3

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Im guessing he is the next ''why on earth did Chelsea sell him'' candidate for the media/social media posters...forgetting that he was ok rather than fantastic at Chelsea

There will be a lot of that this year won't there. Especially focusing on players that were below average for at least a couple of years before their departures last summer.  Most of them have shown their real level already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

There will be a lot of that this year won't there. Especially focusing on players that were below average for at least a couple of years before their departures last summer.  Most of them have shown their real level already. 

Including a lot of players that have been below average since but just talked up big as an anti-Chelsea story.

For example

4 hours ago, Bison said:

Man of the match performance against PSG last night:

Meanwhile, we don't have a single midfielder capable of driving with the ball like that. 

Well I watched it and can't help thinking it must have been a poor match then.  Missed the target from his big chance and rolled over for fouls rather than continued.

And he is playing it appears front 3 - a position we were always told is not where  he should be (but where Fulham and Palace always played him).
Of course he plays better in front 3 than CM - it suits his strengths and hides his weaknesses.

14 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

And he is playing it appears front 3 - a position we were always told is not where  he should be (but where Fulham and Palace always played him).
Of course he plays better in front 3 than CM - it suits his strengths and hides his weaknesses.

Very revisionary. 

He was playing in a midfield 3 yesterday. 

His best performances for Chelsea also came playing in a midfield 3, under Sarri 

Edit - he played midfield for Palace, always.

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Very revisionary. 

He was playing in a midfield 3 yesterday. 

His best performances for Chelsea also came playing in a midfield 3, under Sarri 

Edit - he played midfield for Palace, always.

The clips don't show him in midfield - even when the ball is in their own box there is one striker and he is on the edge of their box.
If he did play midfield it is odd there is nothing of him winning the ball or making a tackle.

6 PL starts under Sarri (18 as sub so it wasn't injuries).  An open No 8 positions alongside Kante and Jorginho which neither he, Barkley nor Kovacic played well,  I think it is pretty damning if that is when his best performances came.  
The guy is a natural striker with a Jorginho mindset and Barkley's intelligence and application.
Anyone recall Osgood's return to chelsea to play in a 4 shirt.

2 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

6 PL starts under Sarri (18 as sub so it wasn't injuries).  An open No 8 positions alongside Kante and Jorginho which neither he, Barkley nor Kovacic played well,  I think it is pretty damning if that is when his best performances came.  

6 starts, 6 PL goals. By the end of that season, he had made that spot his own.

You've not been a fan of his since the day he broke through, so it's a pointless discussion.

22 hours ago, paulw66 said:

6 starts, 6 PL goals. By the end of that season, he had made that spot his own.

6 starts and  he had made that spot his own,
Actually it was 24 starts and only in the last 6 games did he start regularly.
For comparison Barkley got  PL 13 starts that season.
Kante as ball winner, Jorghino as Play-maker and a confusion between Kovacic, Barkley and RLC at 8 in which all of them disappointed.

Those 6 goals were important in his career I agree, 10 goals in PL career total for 3 clubs, 9 seasons, 95 starts.

22 hours ago, paulw66 said:

You've not been a fan of his since the day he broke through, so it's a pointless discussion.

Well quite - many were convinced of him from youth team football where he  and Josh were treated as Gods - I waited to be convinced.  And waited (much more open minded than you think) till he was 25.
I don't think there is anyone who is a fan of RLC from his first team appearances for Chelsea.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

They absolutely adore top scorer RLC here in Milan, even made of glass captain america is going great. We also presented them Giroud and Tomori. They have done some great business with us

I would have kept RLC as a rotation player but that wouldn't have been fair to him. 

Pulisic has so much talent but the PL was simply too fast and too aggressive for him. He's truly found his level. 

Ground would have still scored a lot of goals in our current set up but again, he was never a long term solution. 

Tomori, I really liked and could have stayed. He wasn't a world-beater.  Just reliable.  Looking better in Italy than he would have in the PL if you ask me. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

I would have kept RLC as a rotation player but that wouldn't have been fair to him. 

Pulisic has so much talent but the PL was simply too fast and too aggressive for him. He's truly found his level. 

Ground would have still scored a lot of goals in our current set up but again, he was never a long term solution. 

Tomori, I really liked and could have stayed. He wasn't a world-beater.  Just reliable.  Looking better in Italy than he would have in the PL if you ask me. 

I'm sure they'd all do fine in Holland, Belgium and Saudi too. 

Doing well in walking football isn't really a barometer of quality. 

Personally I quite liked Pulisic but it felt like his old man had a personal hotline to Fleet street and was forever trumpeting how unhappy he was. 

RLC to be honest I was sick of the sight of him shambling around stealing a living for season on season and was overjoyed we actually got rid of him every one of his seasons was going to be the season where he pushed on and he never did. I know he's well liked and  being harsh but that just my honest opinion. 

I wish them all well just relieved they're not dialing it in on our dime any more. 

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm sure they'd all do fine in Holland, Belgium and Saudi too. 

Doing well in walking football isn't really a barometer of quality. 

Personally I quite liked Pulisic but it felt like his old man had a personal hotline to Fleet street and was forever trumpeting how unhappy he was. 

RLC to be honest I was sick of the sight of him shambling around stealing a living for season on season and was overjoyed we actually got rid of him every one of his seasons was going to be the season where he pushed on and he never did. I know he's well liked and  being harsh but that just my honest opinion. 

I wish them all well just relieved they're not dialing it in on our dime any more. 

Social media amazes me. A player has one good game and suddenly everyone throws up their hands and says we never should have sold them. 🤡 🌍 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2