The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

23 hours ago, Bison said:

He had Hamstring surgery Nov 2022, if I recall correctly. It would have been good to see him start this season off the back of a full summer break. 

Look at him in those clips, moving at pace Enzo could only dream of. A midfield pairing of Kante and Caciedo and we'd be competing for a CL place. 

Incredible leap. 

Jogging about in a joke league, with a warm climate is hardly the hustle and bustle of the PL 

On 09/03/2024 at 23:56, xceleryx said:

Good to see him playing regularly again after several years of consistent injuries, the standard however is pretty ordinary overall. 

Ordinary ? It's awful 

Anyone catch the Ian Wright interview that followed our game on Sky earlier?

He mentioned a former Chelsea striker he played alongside early in his career as the best target man he'd ever played with. 

I was absolutely gobsmacked. Any guesses?

Difficult. Wright didn't play for Millwall? He played for Arsenal, Burnley, Celtic, Nottingham Forest (loan), Crystal Palace and West Ham.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Backbiter said:

He mentioned a former Chelsea striker he played alongside early in his career as the best target man he'd ever played with. 

I was going to say Sutton at Celtic or Carlton Cole at WH, but their careers didn't overlap

49 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Possibly Tony Cascarino I think they may have been at Millwall together , not sure though.

Wright never played for Milwall

Here you go. In all my years of watching Chelsea I have never witnessed abuse dished out to a player (apart from the vile racist stuff towards Canners)  like  I heard thrown at Trevor Aylott, ironically against Forest the following season, when, a few months before our relegation was confirmed, they smashed us 6-0. Ossie had recently rejoined us and the fans wanted to see him rather than a guy who had had a fantastic start to his brief Chelsea career (2 goals in his first two games, helping to give Forest their only defeat in their ridiculous march to the title in 1978) but who had struggled horribly ever since. That night might have been his final appearance for us.

Edited by Backbiter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Possibly Tony Cascarino I think they may have been at Millwall together , not sure though.

What a donkey he was.  Millwall and Nancy apart (what an appropriate name for him) he flopped at all his other top flight clubs.

5 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Here you go. In all my years of watching Chelsea I have never witnessed abuse dished out to a player (apart from the vile racist stuff towards Canners)  like  I heard thrown at Trevor Aylott, ironically against Forest the following season, when, a few months before our relegation was confirmed, they smashed us 6-0. Ossie had recently rejoined us and the fans wanted to see him rather than a guy who had had a fantastic start to his brief Chelsea career (2 goals in his first two games, helping to give Forest their only defeat in their ridiculous march to the title in 1978) but who had struggled horribly ever since. That night might have been his final appearance for us.

Great childhood nostaljia, beating a great Forest side 

20 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Mick Harford.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's certainly hard to think of a better one 

Agree,,but as ever it is always a wee bit OTT to give any player the GOAT assessment.... the best of his generation  (any player) is an easier position to take, argument or opinion to discuss.

I always held Ray Wilson in highest regard,,,but although I saw him live I didn't see him play as often as I saw Ash.

In the rarified heights of the true elite the margins are almost non existent coming down to whatever parts of the game a serious observer deems important...pace over calmness or vice/versa for example.

Just some "break" thoughts...without a doubt our man deserves the accolade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

Agree,,but as ever it is always a wee bit OTT to give any player the GOAT assessment.... the best of his generation  (any player) is an easier position to take, argument or opinion to discuss.

I always held Ray Wilson in highest regard,,,but although I saw him live I didn't see him play as often as I saw Ash.

In the rarified heights of the true elite the margins are almost non existent coming down to whatever parts of the game a serious observer deems important...pace over calmness or vice/versa for example.

Just some "break" thoughts...without a doubt our man deserves the accolade.

I don't think I've seen anyone be able to almost nullify Cristiano Ronaldo, quite so many times as Ashley Cole. 

Paolo Maldini was very close.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, east lower said:

I don't think I've seen anyone be able to almost nullify Cristiano Ronaldo, quite so many times as Ashley Cole. 

Paolo Maldini was very close.

Funny how some players almost always "had the number" of a top player.

May be "Myth Memory" or "Want It To Be Memory" but Bestie always seem to have Chopper glued to him! 🪓☄️

😄

2 minutes ago, chara said:

Funny how some players almost always "had the number" of a top player.

May be "Myth Memory" or "Want It To Be Memory" but Bestie always seem to have Chopper glued to him! 🪓☄️

😄

From what I understand, Eddie Gray is still picking bits of Chopper's boots out of his legs too 😄

28 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

From what I understand, Eddie Gray is still picking bits of Chopper's boots out of his legs too 😄

Among others😁

The great thing about the real Hard Men of the Stone Age (with affection!) they dished it out and took it back.

The sheer pace of the game now means it doesn't take much for a player to go down when unbalanced making it look "soft" in comparision.

Still a hard game...just different parameters in play...but we did love the real Iron Men!

(I'm sure Sunday Morning is just as "challenging" as it ever was!)

• 4 weeks later...

John Terry joins Ashley Cole in being inducted into the PL Hall of Fame. Both players join other Chelsea legends Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Petr Cech in the hall of fame.

https://www.premierleague.com/hall-of-fame/inductees?fbclid=PAZXh0bgNhZW0BMQABpjWS6KnckqAggkgWTMaOnsXi71MCctkpBciGx0zwLFkwhMNLAffuMDj8nw_aem_AUJi_EI_03hKezus8Hg8k91-zHB1jBreVPiVxCOaRt-PsfVIFJvUulLtLZJfzdrw31

• Like 1