Marc Cucurella

JaneB

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to see reports this evening (Mirror, Daily Mail, Sun, Daily Star) that Cucurella's home was burgled shortly after he, his partner and their kids moved in the summer. We've heard Potter drop hints that he's had to deal with "family issues" (as well as health issues) since joining.

So that's him, Sterling and James. 😳

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Although vague, this suggests Cucurella may have had more going on behind the scenes last season that what we've been privy towards.

Even if he didnt he still deserves another season to prove himself. I remember the abuse Steve Clarke got and he turned out to be one of our best ever.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Even if he didnt he still deserves another season to prove himself. I remember the abuse Steve Clarke got and he turned out to be one of our best ever.

Absolutely, I've advocated that he should be getting another season here before we draw any final conclusion.

Not as if he was alone when it came to performing poorly last season either. 

• 3 months later...

As a strong criticiser of this fella, I think it's also proper and correct to say that he's done pretty well thus far this season and he's offering at least part competence and alot of effort - Fair play to the bloke and I hope he gets back to the form that made us want to buy him in the first place.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, east lower said:

As a strong criticiser of this fella, I think it's also proper and correct to say that he's done pretty well thus far this season and he's offering at least part competence and alot of effort - Fair play to the bloke and I hope he gets back to the form that made us want to buy him in the first place.

What we're seeing at the moment is what we were all seeing whilst he was at Brighton. 

He was really raising eyebrows, including during a game I recall at SB. 

I feared that we'd bought a dud but it was widely reported that he had issues outside of football. It didn't help that we were playing with a skeleton squad which made everyone look bad.  

Individually players are playing better as better players are coming back from injury.  

I know people piss and moan on here about our squad but I genuinely believe that we have a squad that will be the envy of almost every side in the PL. Maybe all of them eventually. 

The future is bright. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

ut I genuinely believe that we have a squad that will be the envy of almost every side in the PL.

A billion quid ago we had a squad that was teh envy of many.  So much so that City, Arsenal (2), Newcastle, RM, Barca, AM, and several top italian clubs have been stealing them.

I’ve been very critical, because I felt he was terrible BUT Cucurella is looking more and more like a £60m player. Credit where it’s due, and I’m delighted. Much as I love Chilly, I haven’t noticed a clamour for his quick return. If Cucurella keeps this up and Chilly returns we’ll have two great options at LB, and Colwill can stay at CB where imo he belongs.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’ve been very critical, because I felt he was terrible BUT Cucurella is looking more and more like a £60m player. Credit where it’s due, and I’m delighted. Much as I love Chilly, I haven’t noticed a clamour for his quick return. If Cucurella keeps this up and Chilly returns we’ll have two great options at LB, and Colwill can stay at CB where imo he belongs.

100%

Last season, it wasn't just that he didn't look like a 60m player, he didn't look like a competent footballer at whatever the cost. 

He should definitely play on Sunday ahead of Colwill

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

presumably for those 5 games only, not all games so far.

He openly admits himself that he was dogshit last season. 

Very good for the rest of his career though. 

Hopefully that was a blip. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ham said:

He openly admits himself that he was dogshit last season. 

Yeah - but I was thinking the stats comparison was for the 5 games he has played in this season.  I'm sure Colwill has made more tackles for example in the 11 games Colwilll has started but perhaps not in the specific 5 that Cucurella started.  Either that or it is a comparison on tacklers per 90*.

*I'm wondering how the stats guys are going to handle the new timings.  Once upon a time you came on on 80' and were presumed to have played just 10 mins.  It could be 25mins now.
If it were just me I'd just presume each half actually lasts 50 mins and calculate tackles/goals per 100.

• 5 months later...

One of the YouTube comments: "The infuriating part of Cucurella's resurgance as an inverted fullback is we've seen Poch do it before... In pre-season where it was used to great effect and then binned for 9 months for seemingly no reason. The pessemistic side of me believes that this will be binned as soon as Chilwell returns, to the detriment of our play"

On 06/05/2024 at 10:31, Bones said:

One of the YouTube comments: "The infuriating part of Cucurella's resurgance as an inverted fullback is we've seen Poch do it before... In pre-season where it was used to great effect and then binned for 9 months for seemingly no reason. The pessemistic side of me believes that this will be binned as soon as Chilwell returns, to the detriment of our play"

Great video, cheers. 

Really looking forward to going to Brighton away now that Cucu and Caicedo have found form. Hope they do some damage! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1