Reece James - Chelsea Captain

JaneB

• 2 months later...

So Frank mentioned that Reece is out for the rest of the season?

I hope he actually takes enough time to heal properly now (and has surgery as it feels like that's been an option that hasn't been taken for a while now).   Reece is a brilliant player, but he looks like he's been playing within himself for quite a few weeks now. 

21 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

So Frank mentioned that Reece is out for the rest of the season?

I hope he actually takes enough time to heal properly now (and has surgery as it feels like that's been an option that hasn't been taken for a while now).   Reece is a brilliant player, but he looks like he's been playing within himself for quite a few weeks now. 

Definitely. Looks like he has no confidence in his ability to avoid injury. I thought he looked a bit more like his old self in the home leg last week, but still nowhere near his best. He needs to put his feet up and get whatever treatment is needed to restore him to full fitness. 

16 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Definitely. Looks like he has no confidence in his ability to avoid injury. I thought he looked a bit more like his old self in the home leg last week, but still nowhere near his best. He needs to put his feet up and get whatever treatment is needed to restore him to full fitness. 

Yep I agree , he was definitely playing within himself and looked off to me , lets hope he can get sorted for our assault on the league next season

His injuries are starting to become a real concern for his long-term future at the top. 

I am convinced he would pick up fewer injuries if he lost some of that muscle. His body looks so hard and stiff so it's hartlly a surprise something pops every few months. Less muscle and a bit more natural body far would loosen him up give him more flexability.

4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

His injuries are starting to become a real concern for his long-term future at the top. 

I am convinced he would pick up fewer injuries if he lost some of that muscle. His body looks so hard and stiff so it's hartlly a surprise something pops every few months. Less muscle and a bit more natural body far would loosen him up give him more flexability.

His sister Lauren looks heavy too, his weight may not be something he can change easily.

It is a shame though.

18 minutes ago, jasonb said:

His sister Lauren looks heavy too, his weight may not be something he can change easily.

It is a shame though.

Everyone can lose weight if they try hard enough .

Change of diet and significantly cut down on gym work, especially pumping iron, should work for James over time.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Sorry but this bulk thing is just a myth. Working out too much is different.

38 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Like this?

The Greatest Moments in Olympics History - HalfGuarded

I think I meant more Athletic , when I think about it Sprinters do tend to be pretty jacked , more a long distance runner type  maybe. 

Anyway he's far too bulky and it works against him rather than for him in the role he has in the side. 🤣

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think I meant more Athletic , when I think about it Sprinters do tend to be pretty jacked , more a long distance runner type  maybe. 

Anyway he's far too bulky and it works against him rather than for him in the role he has in the side. 🤣

Why aren’t heavyweight boxers always injured then? 🤪

9 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Just look at that guy.... Traore Wolves?.Fast if running in a straight line,it's when he trys to turn direction he needs air brakes.

It's the type of running footballers have to do rather than just the running.

Sprinters will gradually ease down once they cross the finish line. Footballers often run at top speed and then stop very quickly, added to that they twist and turn their bodies to change direction.  Then there's the effects of landing after jumping to head the ball. Stretching  to get to a pass or to make a tackle.  Twisting and turning in tight spaces

All of the above puts stresses and strains on the body of a footballer. You don't see bodies on world class players like the one James has, and that is for a good reason.

30 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Other than James you mean? I'm struggling to think of many better in his position

With respect I think you are slightly missing the point here.

None of us are doubting the talent of James, just the possibility of his career being shortened by the increasing number of injuries he's picking up which might be largely down to his physique. This is now two consecutive seasons which have been severely hampered by injuries. The way he's going he'll have a much shorter time as a top player than those players who have a more "normal physique" which are more able to take the strains of modern day football.

8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

With respect I think you are slightly missing the point here.

None of us are doubting the talent of James, just the possibility of his career being shortened by the increasing number of injuries he's picking up which might be largely down to his physique. This is now two consecutive seasons which have been severely hampered by injuries. The way he's going he'll have a much shorter time as a top player than those players who have a more "normal physique" which are more able to take the strains of modern day football.

I don't buy into James physique being the core issue myself, I tend to learn more towards the way football is played now and the workload those in the fullback/wingback positions tend to carry. Which is then compounded further by the tempo and physicality that surrounds the Premier League in general. 

While they've not all had the severity of injuries, the frequency, or missed bulk games like James, looking around world football and players like TAA, Robertson, Hakimi, Alphonso Davies, Theo Hernandez, and so on have all spent time out at various points. 

This isn't necessarily a Reece James centric problem.

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I don't buy into James physique being the core issue myself, I tend to learn more towards the way football is played now and the workload those in the fullback/wingback positions tend to carry. Which is then compounded further by the tempo and physicality that surrounds the Premier League in general. 

While they've not all had the severity of injuries, the frequency, or missed bulk games like James, looking around world football and players like TAA, Robertson, Hakimi, Alphonso Davies, Theo Hernandez, and so on have all spent time out at various points. 

This isn't necessarily a Reece James centric problem.

Neither TAA nor Robertson have missed very many games in the last 5 years or so.  They've been remarkably reliable in terms of fitness and this will be partially down to their slim builds compared to RJ. 

12 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Many, many players of all shapes, sizes and builds have suffered, throughout their career with injuries. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with his build. 

Thank you Doctor.