Official: Arsenal sign Jorginho for £12M

JaneB

• JaneB changed the title to Arsenal sign Jorginho for £12M

I thought Jorginho came across as a really nice guy but just couldn't get enthusiastic about him as a Chelsea player.  I'm livid we keep selling our players to Arsenal though, although thankfully it never seems to go very well for them when we do.

• Like 1

I was certainly in the pro-selling camp for reasons I’ve already outlined, but no denying Jorgi was a great pro for us. 

Never injured, never hid, brilliant in high pressure situations and almost certainly a great influence in the dressing room and with younger players. 

Few journo’s are that saying that he has asked to come back to the club once his playing days are over.  I for one would welcome him back.

In the meantime, we need to move forward with new faces in our midfield  and he probably has one final challenge in him and possibly a few more trophies (unfortunately) 

Hate it when any player with a good record of Chelsea loyalty and service moves on especially to Arse.

Certainly aware of what he brought to the side and the positive aspects but also aware of the less than positive aspects of his game.

Kova Kante and Jorge....how many goals have they produced for Chelsea from midfield in open play?..(not including penalties.

Over their time at Chelsea let alone this season?

If Chelsea had allowed him to go in the Summer I would have questioned the decision but now?

• JaneB changed the title to Official: Arsenal sign Jorginho for £12M

Quite disappointed really to see Jorginho leave, as I've echoed in the transfer thread earlier. 

I think Arsenal have done well to pick up a very intelligent player and one that provides a particular skillset that is often under appreciated by most. Curiously enough, Arteta was at Man City when they were trying to sign him from Napoli originally, so I sense he'll have a clear plan on what he wants from Jorginho. 

Thought he was still a useful option for us, even more so during all this upheaval with his leadership and poise. Could've easily played a rotational role had he remained beyond this season but it is what it is I suppose, quite clear the club had no intention of offering him a new deal if we've willingly sold the only real player we have for that deeper role - even with Enzo arriving. 

Having seen Jorginho play since his time spent at Verona, I'm glad he got to make a stop here and contribute to some of the success to the club. Hopefully he'll return in some capacity once his playing days are over. All the best Jorginho.

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

That he was. And yes, he will be missed, on field, and off.

Absolutely, and it will be interesting to see who the leaders will end up being now. With Azpi nearing an end at the very top level.

Silva, deputised by Reece at the back?

Midfield - Looking for candidates in my view

God knows who up top?? Oh for a Drogba or Costa, even an Anelka .

11 hours ago, JaneB said:

I thought Jorginho came across as a really nice guy but just couldn't get enthusiastic about him as a Chelsea player.  I'm livid we keep selling our players to Arsenal though, although thankfully it never seems to go very well for them when we do.

I'm with you on the first part Jane however I couldn't care less about the players we've sold to them, certainly latterly. David Luiz, Willian and Petr, none of them lived up to the hype they achieved with us and I'm hoping fervently that Jorginho can derail the Arsenal express this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I'm with you on the first part Jane however I couldn't care less about the players we've sold to them, certainly latterly. David Luiz, Willian and Petr, none of them lived up to the hype they achieved with us and I'm hoping fervently that Jorginho can derail the Arsenal express this season.

If Arsenal want to keep picking up the players we discard, then so be it.

Meanwhile, we picked up the star 21 year old winger they were so keen to bring in!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Reading what other more knowledgeable posters have said about him, I think I was a bit harsh and unappreciative of what he did offer.

I doubt he'll set Arsenal's midfield alight though.

(I hope Mason is practising his penalty taking)

43 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Reading what other more knowledgeable posters have said about him, I think I was a bit harsh and unappreciative of what he did offer.

I doubt he'll set Arsenal's midfield alight though.

(I hope Mason is practising his penalty taking)

Don't you believe it Jane. Trust your own judgement. We all saw Jorghi's shortcomings and limitations.

I find there to be a Jorginho narrative change since this transfer, correct me if I am wrong. 

When he was our player, I could have sworn he was constantly roasted by football pundits, radio, podcasts etc. for being too slow and costing Chelsea games because of his slowness, sideways unproductive passing, easily pressed by the opposition, no attacking impetus, Chelsea were needing to freshen up the midfield, he is more suited for CL tactical pace but not in the PL etc.

Now he has signed for Arsenal, he is being bigged up as a shrewd signing and one that will calm things down for Arsenal in those high intensity games against relegation teams (the exact games he seemed to struggle in for us?), a genius move by Arteta 

Maybe I am mistaken, but I am 100% sure the same journalists and pundits that I heard roasting Jorginho a couple of weeks ago as a Chelsea player, are right now saying he is a great signing for Arsenal. Perhaps a bit of bias from neutrals that have a soft spot for Arsenal and hate Chelsea? Or just hacks being hacks as usual, going with the flow of the wind?

28 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I find there to be a Jorginho narrative change since this transfer, correct me if I am wrong. 

When he was our player, I could have sworn he was constantly roasted by football pundits, radio, podcasts etc. for being too slow and costing Chelsea games because of his slowness, sideways unproductive passing, easily pressed by the opposition, no attacking impetus, Chelsea were needing to freshen up the midfield, he is more suited for CL tactical pace but not in the PL etc.

Now he has signed for Arsenal, he is being bigged up as a shrewd signing and one that will calm things down for Arsenal in those high intensity games against relegation teams (the exact games he seemed to struggle in for us?), a genius move by Arteta 

Maybe I am mistaken, but I am 100% sure the same journalists and pundits that I heard roasting Jorginho a couple of weeks ago as a Chelsea player, are right now saying he is a great signing for Arsenal. Perhaps a bit of bias from neutrals that have a soft spot for Arsenal and hate Chelsea? Or just hacks being hacks as usual, going with the flow of the wind?

As I said earlier , he's morphing into prime Messi just by changing a shirt.

However despite not being able to keep their coach in his technical area , despite their midfielder issues , despite their defender , coach and operations manager all constantly bombarding Mudryk to get him to sign for Arsenal before they'd approached the selling club for permission , despite spending millions on their squad and even paying players who dared question Arteta to leave ,  they're the good guys .  We, remain , as ever , the baddies.

• Like 1

I have some friends that support Arsenal and they've been piping up all season in group chats, gloating about top of the table, it's there season etc etc. I haven't seen a word from them about signing Jorginho, which I take to mean they aren't at all excited about the signing. From what I've seen online from the actual fans, not the pundits, Edu is seen as BS'er missing all of their top targets and going for cheaper low level replacements. Case in point - appearing to chase Mudryk & Caceido then ending up with Trossard and Jorginho. I imagine seeing us spending like it has gone out of fashion has fuelled that opinion too.

• Haha 1

Most fans don't watch a lot of opposition players closely so base their opinions on nonsense punditry and/or what fans of the opposition club say. And the loudest Chelsea voices are that Jorginho's rubbish, so I daresay a lot of Arsenal fans are very underwhelmed by him.

Jorginho is obviously absolutely brilliant at what he does, and the sort of player who attracts criticism for not being good at the things he's not there to do. I imagine he'll divide Arsenal fans as much. Personally, I'm looking forward to those conversations being retired for us. But there will just be another player who becomes the focus of that attention, of course. There always is. 

Just now, thevelourfog said:

Most fans don't watch a lot of opposition players closely so base their opinions on nonsense punditry and/or what fans of the opposition club say. And the loudest Chelsea voices are that Jorginho's rubbish, so I daresay a lot of Arsenal fans are very underwhelmed by him.

Jorginho is obviously absolutely brilliant at what he does, and the sort of player who attracts criticism for not being good at the things he's not there to do. I imagine he'll divide Arsenal fans as much. Personally, I'm looking forward to those conversations being retired for us. But there will just be another player who becomes the focus of that attention, of course. There always is. 

Come on down Mason Mount..

Yesterday, I only had the capacity to focus on incomings with Enzo. Now that it’s settled in, I realize I’m going to miss Jorginho. I appreciated what he was good at and he’s been an integral part of our more recent success. 

I’ve found the only silver lining now in Arsenal possibly winning the league. 

12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Apparently Jorginho's "book value" was £5m, so £10m + £2m in add-ons is decent business.

We can't complain with the financial aspect of it, I mean it's a great deal for a player that seemingly wasn't going to be offered a new deal by the looks of it.

Ornstein said on the Athletic Football Podcast it is £11m plus £1m if they qualify for the CL and £1m if they win the league. Would have loved to keep him until the summer but it makes sense long term to take the cash. 

I do think the way Arsenal set up will probably suit him and he will do pretty well there for a year or two. 

However, I would be much more scared of them as long term challengers had they signed Mudryk and Caicedo - serious lack of ambition shown this window and I think it will bite them in the long run. 

• Like 1