Premier League

JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

26 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Is Frank on his way out?

I think he's hanging on because they haven't got the funds to sack him , I feel sorry for him as much as you can for a multi millionaire, he did a good job of shoring up their defence by buying some halfway decent centre halves but their goals are harder to come by than they are at our place and that's saying something! 

52 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he's hanging on because they haven't got the funds to sack him , I feel sorry for him as much as you can for a multi millionaire, he did a good job of shoring up their defence by buying some halfway decent centre halves but their goals are harder to come by than they are at our place and that's saying something! 

I didn't think of that angle.  Think they're bottom of the table now though.

Watched the game...kept me interested...no goals will kill Everton...looked lively but no rub of the green and I thought 2-0 always looked like it could be 3-0 and both scores were a bit harsh on Everton but WH looked somehow more "alert".

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

@JaneBLooks like Frank has now been sacked after all . I can't believe he's a terrible manager entirely , that Everton job is a poisoned chalice , the rubbish they've bought...

Indeed

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/23/everton-sack-frank-lampard-manager?CMP=share_btn_tw

EDIT:  I saw some stories linking Sarri with the job (he's also being linked to replace Conte at Spurs)

Edited by Bob Singleton

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/23/everton-sack-frank-lampard-manager?CMP=share_btn_tw

EDIT:  I saw some stories linking Sarri with the job (he's also being linked to replace Conte at Spurs)

Just now, JaneB said:

Hope they go down now.

Weird choice of job in the first place but I guess he couldn’t resist the offer.

I'm not his biggest fan but how their board can get away with selling Richarlison , not replacing him and then sacking Lampard when they cannot score goals doesn't really seem the fairest decision I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not his biggest fan but how their board can get away with selling Richarlison , not replacing him and then sacking Lampard when they cannot score goals doesn't really seem the fairest decision I've ever seen.

You’re not a fan of Frank???

(And Richarlison is rubbish)

I'm not sure Lampard is quite cut out for being a manager to be honest, at least not yet. I think if he really wants to have a career as a manger he should probably drop down to the Championship (or lower) where the spotlight won't be on him in the same way that it has been for the last few years and really larn the job a bit more. 

That said, the Everton job was a horrible job and he should never have taken it. Terrible owners with absolutely no vision orplan for what they're doing. I wouldn't be sad to see them relegated to be honest.

• Like 1

Yes, sold Richarlison whilst Calvert-Lewin had a long-term injury, replaced neither, and then you wonder why you've only managed 15 goals in 20 games. Let's face it, if neither Ancelotti nor Rafa (don't like the man, but overall has a decent record as a manager) can do anything for them, Frank was never going to succeed!

10 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'm not sure Lampard is quite cut out for being a manager to be honest, at least not yet. I think if he really wants to have a career as a manger he should probably drop down to the Championship (or lower) where the spotlight won't be on him in the same way that it has been for the last few years and really larn the job a bit more. 

That said, the Everton job was a horrible job and he should never have taken it. Terrible owners with absolutely no vision orplan for what they're doing. I wouldn't be sad to see them relegated to be honest.

The Everton job was always a ticking time-bomb. Realistically, he should've probably left at the end of last season after keeping them up. They've got such a horribly built squad that's littered with tripe on huge contacts, the fact continued to pump money into terrible transfer after terrible transfer also speaks volumes about how poorly they're run behind the scenes. I mean, McNeil and Maupay for a combined £35m was ridiculous and highlighted the larger problem at hand. 

I think Frank needs to take a backseat altogether and maybe look at an assistant role under a more established manager. Do a bit of an apprenticeship for a couple of years, learn a few things tactically, then dip his toes back into the water aboard. That latter point being the key for me. He needs to remove himself from the pressures of the English media for a bit. I wonder if he'd work under Mourinho at Roma, as that seems like the most beneficial and practical of destinations. Either way, his stock right now is at rock bottom. 

On 23/01/2023 at 15:42, JaneB said:

Hope they go down now.

Weird choice of job in the first place but I guess he couldn’t resist the offer.

I think he was crazy to take the job. It was a really poor choice, especially as he must have questioned himself after his experiences here. The right move would have been a lower league club with a bit of money.

16 hours ago, RDCW said:

I think he was crazy to take the job. It was a really poor choice, especially as he must have questioned himself after his experiences here. The right move would have been a lower league club with a bit of money.

Yep. Bad choice from both Frank, but also Everton. I don't think he was the right appointment for what they needed, yes they stayed up. I think that was largely down to the fans and how they turned Goodison into a fortress for those last few homes last season. I just think he should have had the bravery to turn this job down, easy to say with hindsight, but you didn't need hindsight to realise this job was a bad career move.

Moshiri clearly has clearly been duped with the advice he has received over the last 4-5 years, cos the decisions that club has made have been dreadful since he became involved.

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

That he needs to drop down a division or two and learn his métier fully - with the help of a proper No.2 next to him - before he even thinks of getting another job in the PL?

I swear if I was someone like him I'd choose punditry every time.