Premier League

JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

40 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

They’ve been investigating them for nearly 4 years so they must have gathered a fair amount of evidence. Since some of the charges go back as far as 2009 is there a possibility that they can be stripped of their titles/cup wins? I’m not a rule knowing person so if anyone else is knowledgeable on the matter…

4 minutes ago, chrisb said:

They’ve been investigating them for nearly 4 years so they must have gathered a fair amount of evidence. Since some of the charges go back as far as 2009 is there a possibility that they can be stripped of their titles/cup wins? I’m not a rule knowing person so if anyone else is knowledgeable on the matter…

No idea, I suppose we'll all find that out together as it happens. Will certainly be interesting to see how it unfolds though, may even mean Pep walks depending on the penalties. 

Fascinating... nice that it isn't Chelsea for once.

I would be shocked if they managed to be cleared of everything again, the PL have been investigating them for years, building up a lot of evidence and would not have taken this step, against one of their own teams, lightly.

Going to be a long process, but I am intrigued to see what starts coming out in terms of rule breaking.

40 minutes ago, chrisb said:

If that is the case, 2 clubs will benefit:

2012: United
2014: Liverpool
2018: United
2019: Liverpool
2021: United
2022: Liverpool

Jumping way ahead and just thinking about potential outcomes…

If City were to be kicked out the PL and dropped down a couple of divisions, what do people think their chances would be of getting back up to their current heights in decent time?

It happened to Juventus and they bounced back pretty quick, but that must have been in part because of their name and history and so players and staff were happy to stick with them and join them etc, whereas I’m not so sure Man City will have that pull and if the money they’ve claimed to have been generating is no longer there, then why would people stick around?

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If City were to be kicked out the PL and dropped down a couple of divisions, what do people think their chances would be of getting back up to their current heights in decent time?

It happened to Juventus and they bounced back pretty quick, but that must have been in part because of their name and history and so players and staff were happy to stick with them and join them etc, whereas I’m not so sure Man City will have that pull and if the money they’ve claimed to have been generating is no longer there, then why would people stick around?

Very very tricky for City to do what Juventus did if they are charged. City are not the same legitimate organic "brand" (sorry for using this word) that the rest of the Big 6 PL teams are, they do not generate the same revenue to be able to flex their muscles out of a situation as the rest of us are. 

8 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I suspect they would become much the team they were before the buyout. Going up and down the leagues and never achieving anything.

Of course up here in Scotland there is the precedent of Rangers being demoted to the 3rd division for financial irregularities. For a similar response to be applied to City should the allegations be proved there would need to be a number of steps.

#1. Premier League votes to remove the club

#2 The EFL would then need to vote to accept them presumably then secondly would need to decide which league to parachute them into.

I seriously doubt it will ever come to this however as City will be able to mobilise a huge legal task force and tie this up for years if things seem to be going poorly for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the league wimps out in the end and just issues a fine and/or transfer ban which the club will find some means to circumvent. In the world of football money talks.

I wouldn't be partaking of any schadenfreude just yet though. Just a matter of time before a petition is begun to exact some form of similar retribution on this club.

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Of course up here in Scotland there is the precedent of Rangers being demoted to the 3rd division for financial irregularities.

[SNIP]

Actually Rangers were not demoted for financial irregularities. The financial irregularities resulted in the old Rangers FC going bust and a new club being formed.

Under the SFA rules, the 'new' Rangers had nothing to do with the 'old' Rangers, so had to be treated as a whole new entity... and that's why the current Rangers started in the 3rd Division.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Actually Rangers were not demoted for financial irregularities. The financial irregularities resulted in the old Rangers FC going bust and a new club being formed.

Technically it was the company that went bust, the club was transferred to another company as part of an asset transfer by the liquidators.

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

There really is only one punishment if they are found guilty. 

Back to league 2, where they belong.

We will be all over Pep, you can guarantee it.

I was thinking Vanarama National League North.

However, I do have some things to be grateful to them for. In those seasons when they won things, it was preferable to the alternatives because I could put it down to money. If it weren't for them it would have been Man Utd (2012/3), Liverpool (2013/4), Man Utd (2017/8),  Liverpool (2018/9), Man Utd (2020/1), Liverpool (2021/2). Also, in some cases, they won by only a point or two, so they did, at least, make it competitive. When RA came in, the league had become a competition between Arsenal and Man Utd and it had become dull. RA changed that. At least now we have a half dozen teams who could win it.