CFCnet 23/24 awards - voting OPEN! ×

Premier League

JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

On 07/03/2023 at 11:07, jasonb said:

I get your point about relying on late goals yet wasn't there once an expression about 'Fergie time' or was that just about late and suspect penalties?

“Fergie Time” was basically to keep playing on after 90 minutes until Man U get the result they want. Which as I recall they inevitably did!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

“Fergie Time” was basically to keep playing on after 90 minutes until Man U get the result they want. Which as I recall they inevitably did!

I remember some analysis that showed the top teams* got more time added on when they needed a goal, and less time when they were ahead. The stats were pretty detailed, but I can't find them now.

*The researchers found this to be true of all top teams, with one exception. Any guesses?

Found it now:

"For the other, so-called top teams, other than Chelsea, all of them had longer games on average when they were losing"

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20464371

Edit: Found something about Fergie time:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/sep/22/manchester-united-goals-stoppage-time

Edited by Backbiter

5 hours ago, asvaberg said:

So Haaland is to leave the National team build up for the two matches against Spain and Georgia.

"The press release states that Erling Braut Haaland had some pain in his groin after the match against Burnley."

What a soft guy 🙂

Or possibly Pragmatic Cynical Coach? (Management set up)

• Haha 1

I'd love Harry Kane to play for us, what a difference he would have made.....but since he doesn't, he really isn't as squeaky clean as would first appear is he?  I really HATE it when players exaggerate 'injury', there's no need for it.  It was a red card already, the rest is cheating.  The England captain should really set a better example.  And no doubt we're in for another tedious gender reveal for his fourth child, yawn.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I'd love Harry Kane to play for us, what a difference he would have made.....but since he doesn't, he really isn't as squeaky clean as would first appear is he?  I really HATE it when players exaggerate 'injury', there's no need for it.  It was a red card already, the rest is cheating.  The England captain should really set a better example.  And no doubt we're in for another tedious gender reveal for his fourth child, yawn.

Logic aside for me...never want to see him in a Chelsea shirt....one of a very short list of players over the years.

Joey Jones..with open arms...Anelka..ditto... and many others..regardless of previous club affiliation.

No sensible argument against "arry but NO.

1 hour ago, chara said:

No sensible argument against "arry but NO.

'NO' will do.

Never liked him, and I'd hate to see him in  a Chelsea shirt. No doubt that he can score goals, something we certainly need, but the Bob Hope nose and slicked back hair makes my stomach churn.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

'NO' will do.

Never liked him, and I'd hate to see him in  a Chelsea shirt. No doubt that he can score goals, something we certainly need, but the Bob Hope nose and slicked back hair makes my stomach churn.

England Captain contrast Bobby Moore and 'arry

Brings to mind the famous "And you are no Jack Kennedy" quote.

9 hours ago, JaneB said:

He was an absolute disgrace last night.  "Not that sort of player" my arse.

He committed three cynical fouls in 2 seconds on two players to try to get a reaction and when he did he threw himself to the ground like a spoilt child at Tesco. 

I absolutely hate the bones of him. 

10 minutes ago, Ham said:

He was an absolute disgrace last night.  "Not that sort of player" my arse.

He committed three cynical fouls in 2 seconds on two players to try to get a reaction and when he did he threw himself to the ground like a spoilt child at Tesco. 

I absolutely hate the bones of him. 

Had the referee dared to book him for pushing the player two handed in the back thirty seconds before the barney then none of this would happen , it's like he's wearing a cloak of invisibility .

The state of refereeing in this country is at an all time low , over officious little men the lot of them . 

❝The British government considered the possible failure of the Saudi takeover of Newcastle United to be an “immediate risk” to the United Kingdom’s relationship with the Gulf nation, an investigation by The Athletic can reveal.

Then-prime minister Boris Johnson’s chief strategic advisor even sought to find a “senior interlocutor to impress the interests” of the government onto the Premier League.

Fifty-nine pages of emails between government officials obtained by The Athletic also appear to show the British Foreign Office pushing to help burnish the image of Saudi Arabia, a country accused of a litany of human rights abuses. A British foreign official flagged up a BBC interview granted by legal representatives of the grieving fiancee of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi in April 2020 when she pleaded with the Premier League to block the Newcastle takeover. The documents say that the Department of International Trade (DIT) intended to distribute a public relations offer, presumably to assist the takeover process.❞

https://theathletic.com/4375454/2023/04/06/saudi-newcastle-boris-government/

6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

❝The British government considered the possible failure of the Saudi takeover of Newcastle United to be an “immediate risk” to the United Kingdom’s relationship with the Gulf nation, an investigation by The Athletic can reveal.

Then-prime minister Boris Johnson’s chief strategic advisor even sought to find a “senior interlocutor to impress the interests” of the government onto the Premier League.

Fifty-nine pages of emails between government officials obtained by The Athletic also appear to show the British Foreign Office pushing to help burnish the image of Saudi Arabia, a country accused of a litany of human rights abuses. A British foreign official flagged up a BBC interview granted by legal representatives of the grieving fiancee of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi in April 2020 when she pleaded with the Premier League to block the Newcastle takeover. The documents say that the Department of International Trade (DIT) intended to distribute a public relations offer, presumably to assist the takeover process.❞

https://theathletic.com/4375454/2023/04/06/saudi-newcastle-boris-government/

But Abramovic was unacceptable to them 😡

Just now, Ham said:

But Abramovic was unacceptable to them 😡

I was so angry when I read the "article"...perhaps better to say my continuing anger flared up.

Forget RA's response regarding covid and opening up facilities for the real heroes and early efforts to aid the Ukranian "peace" process...of course we hear very little now he is out of sight out of mind but the disgraceful effort to destroy an English Sporting Institution disguised as hurting Putin by HMG still makes me gag.

It's OK to support a somewhat "questionable" Nation or to be more precise actively pressure so called ruling bodies to toe the line...and all protests are swept aside.

Truly shameful and not to trivialise but in a political sports sense "A Day of Infamy"

25 minutes ago, chara said:

I was so angry when I read the "article"...perhaps better to say my continuing anger flared up.

Forget RA's response regarding covid and opening up facilities for the real heroes and early efforts to aid the Ukranian "peace" process...of course we hear very little now he is out of sight out of mind but the disgraceful effort to destroy an English Sporting Institution disguised as hurting Putin by HMG still makes me gag.

It's OK to support a somewhat "questionable" Nation or to be more precise actively pressure so called ruling bodies to toe the line...and all protests are swept aside.

Truly shameful and not to trivialise but in a political sports sense "A Day of Infamy"

There are actually people in this country who genuinely believe that Abramovich was bankrolling Russias madness and that he was at the least complicit in their invasion. 

Absolute madness. 

I watched an MP in parliament waving a dossier above his head using parliamentary privilege to make these kinds of accusations, and I thought to myself - I remember you waiving another dossier that led to the invasions in the Middle East and the way that you assiduously chose to resist a public inquiry into those events.  I keep wondering if there will be an investigation into this dossier and whether he will resist that too. He got a knighthood in the 2023 New Year Honours list.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1