CFCnet 23/24 awards - voting OPEN! ×

Premier League

JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Politics is a strange game, for two world wars we were on the same side. 

One is now rich in fossil fuels and the other has the global reserve currency with over 800 military bases abroad. 

Ukraine has been dodgy since at least 2014 with power changing hands and prospective leaders like Yulia Tymoshenko being jailed. We also had that leader that developed a bad skin condition with allegations of poisoning. 

We now see similar things in the US, Biden leaves confidential papers in his corvette yet Trump is on trial.  Anyone remember Monica Lewinsky or Paula Jones?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JaneB said:

@Mark Kelly

Just reading about the Spurs v Brighton match.

It seems Brighton were very hard done by.

Maybe we’re not the only team refs hate?

I've long said that the PGMOL are assisting the Premier League with their desires to continue to be the best league in the World , they need Tottenham to win because it puts pressure on United and Newcastle so they and more importantly SKY can have a "the race for fourth place " super Sunday and keep the season alive in case Arsenal beat City and end the race for the league title prematurely.

The PGMOL is bent regardless.

The decisions Brighton were on the wrong end of were an absolute disgrace. 

- Disallowed goal for handball against Mitoma. Linesman called it from over 50 yards away. Replay showed contact was with shoulder/ upper arm but not overturned

- Disallowed goal for handball against McAllister. Ref missed it but VAR intervened. Not clear if ball hit his arm or hip, but VAR still felt it a 'clear and obvious error' and intervened

- Nailed on pen again on Mitoma. Player trod on his foot and brought him down right in front of ref. VAR did not intervene.

- First half handball missed by ref. Player's outstretched arm made contact. VAR did not intervene.

Brighton are bottom of the ESPN VAR table that shows VAR interventions that have affected teams.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4722849/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club-in-2022-23

We apparently have had 7 such interventions with a net score of minus one.

However, this doesn't tell the true story, where non-interventions are probably the most telling. Examples: The Romero tug on Cucurella's hair that was ignored by Mike Dean, directly affecting the outcome of the match; more recently, the Soucek handball at West Ham, when he dived, stuck his arm out and blocked a goal-bound shot. VAR intervened by NOT intervening.

These non-interventions do not show up anywhere in any table of how VAR impacts teams.

• Agree 2

As for PGMOL apologies, this is Brighton's THIRD of this season, apparently.

I found a list on the Mirror website:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-var-premier-league-apology-29203162

It's notable that there was no apology to us for the debacle over the hair tugging incident, even though Mike Dean himself admitted he was wrong and was dropped as a VAR for the following games:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-tottenham-mike-dean-var-b1019550.html

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Salah reverting to his Chelsea form. He looks badly off his best. 

Weird game, this one. I think Arsenal would probably crumble if this Liverpool team were in their form of the last few seasons.

We’ll probably pay £50m for him in the summer.

On Brighton having decisions going against them this site names three, Spurs yesterday with the missed penalty challenge on Mituma, a horror challenge by Fabinho of Liverpool and another one against Palace. 

This was Dunk on VAR - following Saturday’s loss in north London, Seagulls defender Lewis Dunk slammed the officials, saying: “There’s no point having VAR in the game if you’re not going to make big decisions like that. That changes everything, I just don’t understand it.”

https://www.football365.com/news/brighton-should-have-penalty-at-spurs-pgmol-issues-apology

1 hour ago, jasonb said:

On Brighton having decisions going against them this site names three, Spurs yesterday with the missed penalty challenge on Mituma, a horror challenge by Fabinho of Liverpool and another one against Palace. 

This was Dunk on VAR - following Saturday’s loss in north London, Seagulls defender Lewis Dunk slammed the officials, saying: “There’s no point having VAR in the game if you’re not going to make big decisions like that. That changes everything, I just don’t understand it.”

https://www.football365.com/news/brighton-should-have-penalty-at-spurs-pgmol-issues-apology

I remember the Fabinho foul. Absolute shocker. The fact VAR didn't intervene to tell the ref it was a red was utterly corrupt, purely to save him from a ban. The same happened with Son at Fulham a few weeks back. Blatant red card but not given. He scored a hat trick the next game when he should have been banned. If I remember correctly that was against Leicester, who might get relegated as a result. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Arsenal cheating incessantly 1-2 up continually feigning iniury, and every time Liverpool get a chance they roll around afterwards to kill the momentum. 

Indeed and the goalkeeper faking injury for a tactical team talk was egregious. The way they were going down at every slight touch and trying to pressure the referee, but the ref saw what they were doing. Arteta has learned well from Pep. They were desperate and knew they were hanging on, it's evident that they aren't confident in this title race. The old soft frail Arsenal is still there if opposition teams can get at them, Liverpool did yesterday. Arsenal were fortunate to get a point in the end. 

15 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Salah reverting to his Chelsea form. He looks badly off his best. 

Weird game, this one. I think Arsenal would probably crumble if this Liverpool team were in their form of the last few seasons.

Yes he has been bad for a while. He misses so many one on ones, the penalty miss was inevitable. Would fit in well back at us! 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Bottom against top.  What a shame Southampton couldn’t hold on.  Even so, are Arsenal going to choke?  That would make this season a little more bearable 🙏🏻

It'll be hilarious when the new invincibles don't win the league .

Tossers.

• Agree 1

On 21/04/2023 at 22:09, JaneB said:

Bottom against top.  What a shame Southampton couldn’t hold on.  Even so, are Arsenal going to choke?  That would make this season a little more bearable 🙏🏻

They have been choking for a while. City only need a draw and are quite likely to get at least that if there last match at the Emptihad is anything to go by. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Spurs absolutely bossing it against Newcastle 

Five nil down within 20 minutes. 

What a load of old rubbish they are. 

Astonishing scenes. This must be some sort of PL record. The quickest to concede 5 ever.....by a distance

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Astonishing scenes. This must be some sort of PL record. The quickest to concede 5 ever.....by a distance

Look at Newcastle passing, every ball played in front of the player, something out lot are completely incapable of. 

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Look at Newcastle passing, every ball played in front of the player, something out lot are completely incapable of. 

James and Chilwell do it a lot. We just don't have any strikers who move towards the balls they put in.

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

That pass for Isak's first, I believe it was Willock, was absolutely gorgeous.

Reminded me a lot of Lampard's pass to Drogba against Man City when we did them for 6 back in 07/08.

• Like 3