JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our UEFA Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg match against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Wednesday, 12th April 2023 (Local UK time/date) (Live on BT Sport)

1 hour ago, chara said:

Some new guy with a hatrick?..any good?..or just lucky?

Benzema or something I believe his name is, seems like an exciting prospect. 

Not sure if he'll start this match or not, you'd have to think Ancelotti will turn to someone with a bit more experience to lead the line in such an important match.

• Haha 1

I've watched Real maybe only 5 times in the last 2 years. They seem the complete opposite of us. Goals just present themselves to them, with seemingly no effort required. We push a boulder up a hill for decades just to manage a shot on target.

It's not likely to be pleasant viewing, but I suppose you never know.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Benzema or something I believe his name is, seems like an exciting prospect. 

Not sure if he'll start this match or not, you'd have to think Ancelotti will turn to someone with a bit more experience to lead the line in such an important match.

Over the hill. Like that midfielder they got from Spuds.  Nothing to worry about

On 06/04/2023 at 08:06, thevelourfog said:

I've watched Real maybe only 5 times in the last 2 years. They seem the complete opposite of us. Goals just present themselves to them, with seemingly no effort required. We push a boulder up a hill for decades just to manage a shot on target.

It's not likely to be pleasant viewing, but I suppose you never know.

But we whipped their ass a couple of years ago when no- one expected it.It's unlikely,  but not beyond the realms  of possibility we could do the same again?.

On 06/04/2023 at 08:06, thevelourfog said:

We push a boulder up a hill for decades just to manage a shot on target

A bit of an exaggeration.We lost it when Marina became involved and Abramovich trusted her.

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Speaking of 'exaggerations'! I'm staggered to think where this nonsense came from!

If reports are to be believed Marina was front and central to transfers and acquisitions.

But then I could be wrong,who knows - do you know? or even hazard a guess?.

37 minutes ago, kev61 said:

If reports are to be believed Marina was front and central to transfers and acquisitions.

And? That automatically means the she was the problem, does it? Sorry, but I don't get it.

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

A bit of an exaggeration.We lost it when Marina became involved and Abramovich trusted her.

Kev, of course it's an exaggeration. I'm being playful about how much hard work we make of scoring. I'd have some questions if we were literally pushing boulders up hill during games ...

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

So she was front and centre for all of the successful signings too?

Kepa

W.Fofana - Silva(doubt)- KK 

James                                     Chilwell 

Kante - Enzo 

Mount - Felix - Mudryk

4 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I think we ought to play 10 at the back. 0-0 would be a good result. Then we can play for penalties in the second leg. 

Like your thinking, but with our players shooting abilities all our penalties will end up in the car park.

• Haha 3

I don’t think it matters who we pick for this, I see absolutely no way we come Away with anything but a resounding defeat. Dortmund was one thing and the players got themselves up for that to get through, but Real Madrid away is an entirely different prospect in the CL. We’d need some semblance of decent form to have any hope of keeping the score close, but we haven’t had decent form at any point this season.

We’ve fallen so far this season that I really do think it’s going to be a while before we’re back in this competition, let alone competing with the top teams in it.