JaneB

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I'm going to go positive with this game.

Out of all the rubbish we have been playing in 2023, the Dortmund games were the exception.

Maybe it really is the case that we are so far behind in the league, the players can't be bothered.

Whereas the CL has a tangible carrot dangling right there and they all raise their game accordingly to the occasion. 

Agree and we're a cup-team, for what it's worth. The players will "raise" themselves, push together and surprise both us and the media........as long as we don't concede silly goals early in the game. We urgently need the first goal to lift the spirit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Agree and we're a cup-team, for what it's worth. The players will "raise" themselves, push together and surprise both us and the media........as long as we don't concede silly goals early in the game. We urgently need the first goal to lift the spirit.

Yep. Last season we really should have beaten them, we let ourselves down massively thanks to exactly what you have said there, silly early goals. 

We just need to knuckle down and go for a draw tomorrow night. Nothing silly. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

3 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I'm going to go positive with this game.

Out of all the rubbish we have been playing in 2023, the Dortmund games were the exception.

Maybe it really is the case that we are so far behind in the league, the players can't be bothered.

Whereas the CL has a tangible carrot dangling right there and they all raise their game accordingly to the occasion. 

Dortmund play open football which we tend to fair a lot better against (see the Liverpool game for further example), I don't see Madrid being like this based on our previous meetings.

Wouldn't be shocked if end up on the wrong side of a cricket score in this one.

18 hours ago, Holymoly said:

"Frank Lampard has spoken about his admiration for Raheem Sterling"

From the official club website. We're doomed.

I guess Frank should just say he is rubbish. That will help. 

11 hours ago, kev61 said:

Obviously an attempt to boost his confidence, because he has been absolute shite recently.

He's been injured, mostly. 

I love the optimism from @CarefreeMuratcan and @asvaberg, but I’m afraid I just don’t share it. Madrid are an entirely different animal to Dortmund and they have an elite coach that will set them up to be patient, but ready to strike at any moment and we’re nowhere near good enough this season to counter them and get a result, in my opinion. 

If we can’t score against teams like Southampton and Wolves in matches this season, how do we expect to score against Real Madrid?

I agree we should have knocked them out last season, but we were a very different team back then and we also had an elite manager.

I’m sorry, I would love to be positive, but I’ve got very little of that left when it comes to Chelsea, this season.

25 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I love the optimism from @CarefreeMuratcan and @asvaberg, but I’m afraid I just don’t share it. Madrid are an entirely different animal to Dortmund and they have an elite coach that will set them up to be patient, but ready to strike at any moment and we’re nowhere near good enough this season to counter them and get a result, in my opinion. 

If we can’t score against teams like Southampton and Wolves in matches this season, how do we expect to score against Real Madrid?

I agree we should have knocked them out last season, but we were a very different team back then and we also had an elite manager.

I’m sorry, I would love to be positive, but I’ve got very little of that left when it comes to Chelsea, this season.

It's easy to tell an elite coach when they nip all talk of joining us in the bud like Carlo did. 

One word, No. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

We have an ace up our sleeves:

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Football doesn't work as straight forward as that though.

• Like 2

-------------------- Kepa

--------Fofana----Silva(c)----KK

James----------------------------------Chilwell

------Kante------Enzo-----Mount(?)

------------Sterling---Mudryk

Set up as a counter-attacking side with pace to burn up front but not much height. Consequently, the value of WBs is lessened - more about stretching defences and making space than putting the ball in the box. I expect them to play a slightly deeper role, so more like a 5-3-2 than a 3-4-3. The extra man in the middle makes it less easy for RM to dominate the midfield. I put Mount in there for energy, but either Kova or Gallacher might be a better choice. Kova often plays well against Modric. I even considered TC or RLC playing DM to free up Enzo and Kante, but that's too much change and, anyway, RLC is better in an advanced position.

17 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

------------------- Kepa

--------Fofana----Silva(c)----KK

James----------------------------------Chilwell

------Kante------Enzo-----Mount(?)

------------Sterling---Mudryk

In an ideal world this would be a good option. Silva has been out but he's the sort of player that doesn't need time to get match fitness back. Similarly with Kante, just fit new batteries and off he goes. While I believe the team needs Mount in the side it needs to be a fully focussed Mount, fully up to speed and I don't think he's there. It's a shame he wasn't able to play in the Wolves match to get some sort of idea just how far off he is. The eterneal problem however remains the front two or three. No-one screams out "pick me!", I just hope he doesn't start Havertz as then we effectively kick off with only ten men. Keep him for later if we have to. If we had held on to Alonso I wonder if we would have reached the point by now to play him up front?

The best we can hope for is a 0-0 I believe, and hope we don'r fall apart in the second half to a drubbing. I won't be able to watch the game tonight as I'm out to dinner with clients. Good luch Chels and big up to the supporters who make their way out to Spain for the game.

• Agree 1

To be honest, I can’t get up for this game at all. I’m at that stage where I just want the season to end and we can start planning for next season and the future.
None of this game or competition feels genuine right now. It feels like a mis-match and we are so below par and predictable right now, it just don’t feel that we deserve to be playing at this stage of the competition.

I cannot see any scenario play out where we can produce high quality football for 6-7 games to have any chance of winning this competition. We might pull it off and sneak it through for 2 games. Considering how bad we are currently, we are talking mission impossible to produce this for 6-7 games though. 
I know this sounds very defeatist and good job I am not conducting any team talk. I think it’s a realistic view of where we are right now .

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I cannot see any scenario play out where we can produce high quality football for 6-7 games to have any chance of winning this competition. 

The max number of games is 5 and we don’t actually need to win any of them yet. 

13 hours ago, asvaberg said:

SFL press conference: Silva is fit!!!

Oh my, I really hope he's as fit as in "he can play for 90 minutes".

Yep - no messing from Frank - Straight out with they are fit, and none of this "He's in the squad and  we need to ease him back into 90 minutes" tittle-tattle we heard from GP.

• Like 1

Got to play 3 at the back.

Then it's a question of 343 or 352.

No away goals, so I'd be tempted to go 352 and make it boring as hell. 

Silva, KK, Fofana; James, Chilwell, Kante, Kova, Enzo........then 2 from Sterling, Mudryk, Havertz, Felix