Chelsea 4 Brighton & Hove Albion 3

11 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Brighton looking more functional and fluid as you'd expect, where as we still look to be finding out feet a little more which has seen our play a bit more stop start.

Yep, De Zerbi’s got them playing exactly how he wants them and they are pretty much the finished article, there’s a reason they’re in Europe. This was always going to be a good test for our young squad, Poch has got to improve cohesion and fluidity gradually.

Either Gusto isn't getting up the wing quick enough or Sterling isn't dropping to pick the ball up, but a few times Gallagher and Santos have looked to the right side of the pitch and while there's been plenty of space to pass into there's been no one in that space to pass to.

3 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Yet still our best player in the final third.

Don't know what you've been watching, the kid is allergic to taking one/two touches and moving the ball on. Been caught in possession time after time because he's either dwelled on the ball or tried to do too much rather than getting his head up early. 

On the plus side, liking the combination play with Nkunku and Chilwell already. 

18 minutes ago, Bison said:

I'm sorry who this offends but Gallagher is a truly horrible footballer in possession. Unbelievably bad. 

If you are right the club will only get two bob for him and not the alleged £40m. 

Just now, Bison said:

By far. He has misplaced 2 or 3 passes but is head and shoulders above Santos and Gallagher in particular. 

I think it's difficult to compare him to Santos and Gallagher, they've both been pressed by Brighton and Carny is playing a more number 10 role so has been able to leave it to them to work the ball out from the back.

1 minute ago, Bison said:

By far. He has misplaced 2 or 3 passes but is head and shoulders above Santos and Gallagher in particular. 

Neither Santos or Gallagher are playing in their ideal roles, so isn't a surprise neither have excelled. 

Santos likes to work box-to-box, while Gallagher isn't suited to a pivot as we already know. 

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Bizarre take.  He's been caught in possession multiple times which could have resulted in goals against.

I think we need to cut these boys some slack. They are playing against an established and well-rehearsed side with a manager who knows his players. At the moment we are little more than a pick up side and I think a lot of what we are seeing shows promise. Chukweumeka has given the ball away a few times, but he is trying to be progressive and break the press. Gusto has been excellent against a very tricky opponent and Sterling looks fit and motivated.

The disappointment has been Gallagher, who (as Robbie Earle pointed out in the commentary) has not done enough off the ball to open up the passing angles and create space.

• Agree 2

For me...usual useless refereeing...or rather much lower standard than required..and fitness/application levels way above what we watched last season.

And sorry ROTG..good evening..trying to watch game and eat my fish and chips supper..and open beer at the same time...exhausting!

1 minute ago, xceleryx said:

Don't know what you've been watching, the kid is allergic to taking one/two touches and moving the ball on. Been caught in possession time after time because he's either dwelled on the ball or tried to do too much rather than getting his head up early. 

On the plus side, liking the combination play with Nkunku and Chilwell already. 

Maatsen is never in the same positon twice, Sterling keeps getting marked out wide, and Nkunku has looked static when he's in the middle; so not sure who he's meant to be linking up with.

Yeah but when your left back is linking up well with your striker it means your striker is AWOL from their position; maybe he doesn't know his best position and needs to play in midfield rather than leading the line? He hasn't looked like the type of striker who can play up there alone, he seems to have the qualities of an inside forward or winger.

Gallagher has been pretty awful. But we’ve got a lot of kids out there and we’ve done really well to still be on equal terms. Colwill has played a couple of stunning balls out from the back. Gusto has done very well under a lot of pressure. Silva, Kepa and Chilwell showing the value of experience. Nkunku scoring again with little service. 

1 minute ago, Gurj SS said:

So has Sterling though, and he's the senior guy.

The difference being that Chuk is being dispossessed in really dangerous positions just outside our area. 

2 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I think we need to cut these boys some slack. They are playing against an established and well-rehearsed side with a manager who knows his players. At the moment we are little more than a pick up side and I think a lot of what we are seeing shows promise. Chukweumeka has given the ball away a few times, but he is trying to be progressive and break the press. Gusto has been excellent against a very tricky opponent and Sterling looks fit and motivated.

The disappointment has been Gallagher, who (as Robbie Earle pointed out in the commentary) has not done enough off the ball to open up the passing angles and create space.

True, but the reality is also that this is what they'll be facing from the get go. In hindesight some more Wrexham games would have been better in pre-season because none of these PL teams will allow us to practice our ideal playing style.

Just now, Ham said:

The difference being that Chuk is being dispossessed in really dangerous positions just outside our area. 

So did Sterling as well, I understand Chuk needs to be more careful but the ball is being played into him with everyone in front of him just watching and expecting him to carry the ball forwards; they need to be linking up with him and letting him give and go, but they're just standing still waiting for him to run up to them with the ball. the forwards are far too static.

7 minutes ago, chara said:

And sorry ROTG..good evening..trying to watch game and eat my fish and chips supper..and open beer at the same time...exhausting!

No Problem

Sh1t, Shower and shave time for me for before the morning watch over the flock 😀

• Haha 1