Chelsea 4 Brighton & Hove Albion 3

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

4-3 against 10 men. Just about the right reflection of the game. Much better than last season though obviously.

Disingenuous because in my opinion the change in the flow of the game was down to Enzo, Mudryk and Jackson coming on. 

The late goals for them were both down to player error. Colwill for the pen and Cucurella for the 3rd.  

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Angelo looks like a real talent. Some really intelligent link up play and technical security with the ball. 

That might not seem like a lot but we have and have had senior footballers who can't do that.

There were other instances of it, leading up to Mudrych’s goal was another one. Plus it was a passage of play that I don’t think I recall us playing at any time last season.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, east lower said:

There were other instances of it, leading up to Mudrych’s goal was another one. Plus it was a passage of play that I don’t think I recall us playing at any time last season.

He was excellent against Wrexham too.  Very good technically and very smart too. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sterling looks odd man out at the moment which should worry him.

Very much so, Pep had him playing as a ghost striker and when he got here he was used in a similar role. He now finds himself starting out wide and staying there to help link up and he seems lost, Gusto was left very isolated at times when he needed an outlet and Sterling was seen pushed up on the opposition fullback but not making any movements to make himself an option for his teammate; the same when Santos and Gallagher were looking to release the ball down the right, the same could be said for Maasten but he isn't an experienced international senior member of the squad.

The new younger lads are quick, skillful and direct, which Sterling was in the past but his game has changed quite a bit to getting on the end of moves rather than being the maker of the moves. With his wages too, if he doesn't fire off this season then come next season he could find himself overlooking the red sea while eating his breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Ham said:

Disingenuous because in my opinion the change in the flow of the game was down to Enzo, Mudryk and Jackson coming on. 

I don't know. When I see us play I feel that we are likely to unravel when we come up against experienced Premier League players in games that matter. Against Wrexham we had a bit of a run about starting the kids and we did what was expected, nothing more nothing less. Against Brighton we started with a setup I wouldn't be that surprised to see against Liverpool and it showed defensively we still lack cohesion. Clearly the manager's ideas are still in their early days of implementation but we do need to continue to improve. Sterling continues to underwhelm for all the glowing testimonials about his efforts in the off season .

37 minutes ago, Ham said:

Disingenuous

Maybe those kind of remakes should be kept until after the villa match in September. 

The bottom line is the team in the second half won 3-2 against 10 men however you want to dress it up.

Reality starts on 13-Aug. 

10 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I don't know. When I see us play I feel that we are likely to unravel when we come up against experienced Premier League players in games that matter. Against Wrexham we had a bit of a run about starting the kids and we did what was expected, nothing more nothing less. Against Brighton we started with a setup I wouldn't be that surprised to see against Liverpool and it showed defensively we still lack cohesion. Clearly the manager's ideas are still in their early days of implementation but we do need to continue to improve. Sterling continues to underwhelm for all the glowing testimonials about his efforts in the off season .

But the team that wasn't doing too well until the hour mark is not the team we'll be playing with this season. Enzo will start every game and he will have a better pivot partner than Gallagher. 

We instantly looked better when they came on and it had nothing to do with them going down to 10 men. 

We instantly won the midfield battle and showed more cohesion. 

6 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Finally, this Angelo lad really has something about him. I agree with what others have said, on paper and looking at his numbers in Brazil, he seems like an odd signing.  However, when you watch him, it stands out he has been playing first team football for a number of seasons now. He looks like he will be a useful player to keep around the squad to me. His style of playing is very much giving me vibes of Willian. He may not contribute a volume of goals and assists, but he looks like a real team player who plays the game with personality and responsibility. I am starting to hope he makes the cut for the squad, as I think he could be a valuable option to use throughout the season.

Agreed on Angelo. I think the only remaining issue is whether he would qualify for a WP. If he does, then I think it is a obvious choice to keep the lad here. He’s showing real promise and we are a RW short. Yes, it’s not the most experienced crew with Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke and Angelo Gabriel as our wide attackers, but it is a damn sight better than what we started last season with! 

If we do lay off from buying another RW, perhaps we can spend some serious cash on a GK and S and then be pretty much done for the season. 

Poch was clear, maximum 25 players in the squad including keepers. Preferably 23-24. If we count Fofana as out for the rest of the season…

GK1, Arrizabalaga, Bettinelli

James, Gusto

Chilwell, Cucurella

Silva, Badiashile, Chalobah, Colwill

Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Santos, Casadei

Nkunku

Madueke, Angelo Gabriel

Sterling, Mudryk

S1, Jackson, Broja

Sell: 

Ziyech, Lukaku, Sarr, Anjorin, Hudson-Odoi

Loan: 

Beach, Bergström, Cumming, Slonina, Gilchrist, Burstow, Morerira, Richards, Maatsen, Hall, Chukwuemeka, Humphreys 

I’m having a bad feeling about Hall, Maatsen and Cucurella. I think the fact that we signed him for such a high fee he will stay in the way of Maatsen and Hall. I don’t agree with it, but that’s likely to be the end result. 

Maybe we can see Maatsen staying, but that will probably mean that Broja leaves on loan instead (which would make more sense imo). Maatsen can fill a number of positions, from LB to LWB to LW. Hall will probably leave on loan for game time. Chuk the same, it would be madness to keep him around. He needs to play a lot, only way I see him staying is if he stays on as back-up to Nkunku and perhaps we do sell Gallagher after all. But I’d rather loan Chuk and keep Connor for one more season to see how he develops. I definitely want both Casadei and Santos to stay on. 

We have to work out the balance between competition for places and regular playing time. 

I've often thought in the past, even when we were in our pomp that often there was no real competition, if you were fit you were in and I really don't want to see that again. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Agreed on Angelo. I think the only remaining issue is whether he would qualify for a WP. If he does, then I think it is a obvious choice to keep the lad here. He’s showing real promise and we are a RW short. Yes, it’s not the most experienced crew with Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke and Angelo Gabriel as our wide attackers, but it is a damn sight better than what we started last season with! 

If we do lay off from buying another RW, perhaps we can spend some serious cash on a GK and S and then be pretty much done for the season. 

Poch was clear, maximum 25 players in the squad including keepers. Preferably 23-24. If we count Fofana as out for the rest of the season…

GK1, Arrizabalaga, Bettinelli

James, Gusto

Chilwell, Cucurella

Silva, Badiashile, Chalobah, Colwill

Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Santos, Casadei

Nkunku

Madueke, Angelo Gabriel

Sterling, Mudryk

S1, Jackson, Broja

Sell: 

Ziyech, Lukaku, Sarr, Anjorin, Hudson-Odoi

Loan: 

Beach, Bergström, Cumming, Slonina, Gilchrist, Burstow, Morerira, Richards, Maatsen, Hall, Chukwuemeka, Humphreys 

I’m having a bad feeling about Hall, Maatsen and Cucurella. I think the fact that we signed him for such a high fee he will stay in the way of Maatsen and Hall. I don’t agree with it, but that’s likely to be the end result. 

Maybe we can see Maatsen staying, but that will probably mean that Broja leaves on loan instead (which would make more sense imo). Maatsen can fill a number of positions, from LB to LWB to LW. Hall will probably leave on loan for game time. Chuk the same, it would be madness to keep him around. He needs to play a lot, only way I see him staying is if he stays on as back-up to Nkunku and perhaps we do sell Gallagher after all. But I’d rather loan Chuk and keep Connor for one more season to see how he develops. I definitely want both Casadei and Santos to stay on. 

I can't see in what world Gabriel gets a WP but who knows. 

I imagine he'll be in Starbourg. 

Chuk reminds me so much of Loftus-Cheek.

That clip highlights why midfielders who can play with their back to goal or on the half turn is so important. This is why Gallagher sticks out like a sore thumb, he just can't do anything Chuk does in that clip.