Non Chelsea Champions League 2022/23

JaneB

• JaneB changed the title to Non Chelsea Champions League 2022/23

The draw couldn't have been any worse not just from a footballing perspective either. Waited years to play Madrid and now we play them every year and I absolutely hate playing English teams in Europe, although can't see City beating Bayern.

I would have preferred to go see Inter, Napoli or Benfica.

We've definitely played our best football under Potter in this competition and I don't see why we can't beat Madrid again, well I do but it's a knockout so anything could happen. Our fixtures either side are kind. We play Wolves (A) Saturday, Madrid (A) Wednesday, Brighton (H) Saturday, Madrid (H) Tuesday so about as good as it gets from that point of view. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

. Our fixtures either side are kind. We play Wolves (A) Saturday, Madrid (A) Wednesday, Brighton (H) Saturday, Madrid (H) Tuesday so about as good as it gets from that point of view. 

We don't exactly have much to play for in those league games, either.

Rough draw indeed. 

Don't really see us getting beyond Real Madrid in all honesty, the degree of tactical involvement a game like that has does feel a bit beyond Potter in my opinion but I suppose we'll see what happens. Imperative we keep the first leg tight and no into the second leg no more than a goal down. 

On the more positive side it'll be nice to see Rudiger, Hazard and I imagine Ancelotti get warm welcomes back. 

Edited by xceleryx

13 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We don't exactly have much to play for in those league games, either.

Yes we should go all in on the CL and completely sacrifice the league matches before and in the middle of the CL matches. We need every little bit of marginal gains we can get. Our opponents can't afford to do that. 

3 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Yes we should go all in on the CL and completely sacrifice the league matches before and in the middle of the CL matches. We need every little bit of marginal gains we can get. Our opponents can't afford to do that. 

Yes. On the positive side, Real, Bayern and City cannot afford to take any league game easy as it stands 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

That's some goal from Vinicius Jr

14 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

And equally, that's some goal from de Bruyne

Both stunning shots, the kind of strikes that you can only see professionals making, goalkeepers had no chance or may have injured themselves if their hands got there.

One thing that impressed me greatly in this match was Real Madrid's passing moves in narrow lanes to beat the press. It was precise, elegant and effective to get their attackers out into space with the ball at their feet. I really think they were worth a 2nd or 3rd goal, City escaped well with a 1-1 last night.

City pass the ball to death in a boring way, but Real Madrid are genuinely (as we have joked on here before) the Harlem Globetrotters of football. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@CarefreeMuratcan  Agree. Madrid's passing and movement was just on another level. Haaland was pretty much a peripheral figure, yet with players like him, de Bruyne etc you really can't write off City - especially at home.  Still want Real to win, because I've always had a soft spot for Carlo, and other than when up against Chelsea, always wish him the best.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

@CarefreeMuratcan  Agree. Madrid's passing and movement was just on another level. Haaland was pretty much a peripheral figure, yet with players like him, de Bruyne etc you really can't write off City - especially at home.  Still want Real to win, because I've always had a soft spot for Carlo, and other than when up against Chelsea, always wish him the best.

Haaland was absolutely monstered by Rudiger , how we miss him , he's got a blackbelt in Sh*thousing !

• Agree 1

Real Madrid's performance has been chalk and cheese with last week's.  I thought they were unlucky to only draw at home; they deserved at least one more goal.

They're lucky to only be 2-0 down at half time. We know RM are capable of overturning such deficits, but I think they've met their match with this City side tonight.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Does anyone know if Rudiger was injured as otherwise why would Carlo drop him ?

I do hope this isn't collusion between the shirt sponsor of Madrid and the owners of City  to get "their" club to the final . 

Militao and Alaba are his first choice centre-back pairing. Rudiger played last week because Militao was unavailable due to suspension. I was, however, surprised - given how well Rudiger did at nullifying Haaland - that he didn't stick with the back four that did so well in Madrid.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Deserved winners in fairness, although I’m not surprised by the behaviour of their fans. 

Indeed. Pleased for Rice, too. lifting a trophy as captain. Wish we'd really thrown money at West Ham last summer for him. He'd have provided some of the leadership we're lacking. Looks Arsenal bound.

• Like 2