Official: Chelsea sign Mykhailo Mudryk on an Eight and a Half Year Deal

JaneB

One of the articles I read about him just before he joined regarded his work ethic. Teammates and former teammates attesting to him often spending 30 to 60 minutes after training doing extra work on his own, practising free kicks, shooting, dribbling around dummies, etc.

Looks like we've got a good 'un here.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

One of the articles I read about him just before he joined regarded his work ethic. Teammates and former teammates attesting to him often spending 30 to 60 minutes after training doing extra work on his own, practising free kicks, shooting, dribbling around dummies, etc.

It's early days, but so far all the signs do seem to be pointing to him being a fantastic signing. I haven't been this excited about seeing a new player at the club since Hazard.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It's early days, but so far all the signs do seem to be pointing to him being a fantastic signing. I haven't been this excited about seeing a new player at the club since Hazard.

It seems like an easy comparison. Similar age. Style. 

12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Maybe this will rub off on a few others.

You used to hear this sort of stuff years ago, especially with players like Lampard and Zola, but it seems to have died off (at least hearing about it that is) with the current generation of players. I can think of quite a few who'd benefit from spending a few extra hours a week working on their set pieces and finishing. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Being slaughtered for another bad performance. A year older than Saka but oceans apart in ability from what I've been reading.🙁

This is turning into a bit of a nightmare start for the lad and he seems to be playing worse with every appearance.  He is so far off the pace that I'm wondering if it might benefit him being pulled from the squad for the rest of the season? A couple more months of this would do more harm than good imho.

Not particularly concerned about Mudryk despite the feedback from the Ukraine match. 

He arrived in January having not played a competitive minute since late November 2022 for Shakhtar, and since played less than 350 competitive minutes for us, across 7 appearances total.

You could see he was massively underdone when arriving, and it's hard to build that fitness base back up after such a long period off - much less in the middle of a season at a club that's also been struggling itself and hasn't had the luxury of taking games off (although, with some of our performances you'd have to question that). Hard to just turn it on in these conditions, it's not FIFA after all and players need rhythm and their legs.

This was always a signing made with the future in mind rather than the present, as such I expect next season to give us a clearer picture.

4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Being slaughtered for another bad performance. A year older than Saka but oceans apart in ability from what I've been reading.🙁

This is turning into a bit of a nightmare start for the lad and he seems to be playing worse with every appearance.  He is so far off the pace that I'm wondering if it might benefit him being pulled from the squad for the rest of the season? A couple more months of this would do more harm than good imho.

Another player that comes to us with bags of potential(which you could see on his debut) and then looks like a fish out of water.

The Chelsea curse? or poor coaching?.Even Enzo looks like a downgrade on Kovacic.

Imo,either coaching in today's game is wrong or players simply couldn't care less,I think it's a combination of both with us.

Put your money on Bayern to win the champions league,they are 4/1 to win it, under priced imo.

24 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

How about coaching at our club is wrong? I'm sure that (most of) the players care.

I think I covered that Michael.You think most players care?.

If you walked into a dressing room for the first time and you feel alienated for whatever reason you will not perform even if you'r on 100k a week.

A desire to win and goose bumps in front of a crowd is a dying out  amongst some players,usually players that are looking for their next big pay day.

42 minutes ago, kev61 said:

You think most players care?.

Yes I do. 

If you walked into a dressing room for the first time and you feel alienated for whatever reason you will not perform even if you'r on 100k a week.

Sure, but it beggars the question: why do you believe that some/all of our players feel 'alienated'? I can't see it, tbh.

A desire to win and goose bumps in front of a crowd is a dying out  amongst some players,usually players that are looking for their next big pay day.

Again, sure.  But that doesn't translate into our players simply looking for their next big pay day, does it?

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Not that this is the ideal thread for this discussion, but this is certainly an interesting viewpoint to say the least. 

I think you're being very kind calling it an interesting viewpoint.

Enzo is a significant upgrade on Kovacic who will be redundant once we have a decent holding midfielder at the club.

On 27/03/2023 at 00:32, xceleryx said:

Not particularly concerned about Mudryk despite the feedback from the Ukraine match. 

He arrived in January having not played a competitive minute since late November 2022 for Shakhtar, and since played less than 350 competitive minutes for us, across 7 appearances total.

You could see he was massively underdone when arriving, and it's hard to build that fitness base back up after such a long period off - much less in the middle of a season at a club that's also been struggling itself and hasn't had the luxury of taking games off (although, with some of our performances you'd have to question that). Hard to just turn it on in these conditions, it's not FIFA after all and players need rhythm and their legs.

This was always a signing made with the future in mind rather than the present, as such I expect next season to give us a clearer picture.

I agree with most of this, but I have to say my main concern with him is how he's been used so far.  I mentioned a few weeks back that he'd either been ignored or set up to fail and i've seen little change in that.  I really hope it changes for the lad and swiftly. 

10 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I agree with most of this, but I have to say my main concern with him is how he's been used so far.  I mentioned a few weeks back that he'd either been ignored or set up to fail and i've seen little change in that.  I really hope it changes for the lad and swiftly. 

I agree, in the Dortmund match and Everton matches, it was clear he was the right kind of player to come on, to allow us to use his pace to get in behind as the opposition looked for a way back in the game, but both times he was ignored and it's these kinds of decisions that highlight why Potter is not an elite manager... scared to go for the kill when they prey is on the floor and instead, sits back waiting and hoping time will see them off.

I think he'll be a very good player, for us, but he is VERY raw, I said this when we signed him, he has very little experience, even in the Ukrainian league and so patience will be needed with him, even more than some of the others.

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree, in the Dortmund match and Everton matches, it was clear he was the right kind of player to come on, to allow us to use his pace to get in behind as the opposition looked for a way back in the game, but both times he was ignored and it's these kinds of decisions that highlight why Potter is not an elite manager... scared to go for the kill when they prey is on the floor and instead, sits back waiting and hoping time will see them off.

I think he'll be a very good player, for us, but he is VERY raw, I said this when we signed him, he has very little experience, even in the Ukrainian league and so patience will be needed with him, even more than some of the others.

Agree. But I think he only gets to grip with this league with more game time. And Potter has ignored that key fact in favour of giving minutes to players like Pulisic. Which is foolhardy.  I feel quite similarly about Madueke too - he looks useful, would be good to see him have the chance to develop instead of prioritising timewasters that want out. 

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

5 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Agree. But I think he only gets to grip with this league with more game time. And Potter has ignored that key fact in favour of giving minutes to players like Pulisic. Which is foolhardy.  I feel quite similarly about Madueke too - he looks useful, would be good to see him have the chance to develop instead of prioritising timewasters that want out. 

It's Potter and his "mid-table good" mindset that needs changing not the players  , a draw against Everton would be splendid if we were Brighton but Graham , having surrounded himself with Ex Brighton staffers appears to think it's splendid for Chelsea too . 

And it isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bert19 said:

Neither Mudryk or Madueke are top 4 PL class, and if people are hanging their hopes on them being one of the solutions to make the top four, next season, I am afraid they are in for a rude awakening.

On 26/03/2023 at 22:26, boratsbrother said:

I wonder how well Saka would be playing if he'd played 250 minutes since November

On 27/03/2023 at 00:32, xceleryx said:

Quite. As I said in a different thread, Ivanovic joined in similar circumstances, and had to wait 9 months to get his debut

On 27/03/2023 at 02:48, kev61 said:

The Chelsea curse? or poor coaching?. Even Enzo looks like a downgrade on Kovacic.

Simply astonishing. 

On 27/03/2023 at 12:07, Bison said:

I think you're being very kind calling it an interesting viewpoint.

Yup.

52 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Neither Mudryk or Madueke are top 4 PL class, and if people are hanging their hopes on them being one of the solutions to make the top four, next season, I am afraid they are in for a rude awakening.

Well, let's see what he can do when he's fully fit and up to the speed of the PL. 

Nothing like writing a player off after 350 sporadic minutes 

53 minutes ago, ROTG said:

They're not supposed to be "top 4 Pl class" they're supposed to be players for the future with high ceiling for development , both of them , Mudryk in the Champions League and Noni in the U21 Internationals have shown they have real talent.

What we need to be doing is buying some players who are ready now so they can be eased in. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

What we need to be doing is buying some players who are ready now so they can be eased in. 

Isn't that exactly what HAS happened.

They haven't played much for us, and that's fine by me. Ease them in