Official: Chelsea sign Mykhailo Mudryk on an Eight and a Half Year Deal

JaneB

On 11/09/2023 at 04:29, xceleryx said:

I mentioned Mudryk's minutes played since arriving adding up to around 8 full matches worth the other day, with it being a rather similar situation to that of Salah's when he was here, who from memory played around 13 full matches worth of minutes from all of his appearances combined before being sold. 

the same people who say we should ditch player X, Y or Z after such little game time, will be the same ones who will bemoan the previous regime for ditching KdB and Salah so quickly. And they don't see the irony. 

18 hours ago, Dwmh said:

hard to deny those clips.  He looks quite a player there.

some will try. 

I thought the pass for Maatsen, and the one for Jackson (v Villa) showed real quality. Far more impressive than just showing blistering speed. 

1 hour ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

I think that he is improving ,

Which is exactly what we all hoped, and is great to see. I think he has been well managed. Taken out of the team when things weren't going so well, and not been asked to do too much too soon. 

42 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Definitely. His self-belief is returning and he's much more prepared to take players on and try things.

Feels like it. By HT on Tuesday he could have two goals, and two assists. Progress. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Mudryk named Player of the Round for the Carabao Cup.

Not bad given he came off the bench! 

I went to the Palace game two weeks back and was impressed by what I saw (first half at least).  He worked hard tracking back, he looked dangerous on the ball, was making good runs and interchanges, scored and generally had a good buzz about him.  Going off injured must have been very frustrating for him. 

I am really starting to think he's one that just needs time - there are some real positives starting to emerge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

Not bad given he came off the bench! 

I went to the Palace game two weeks back and was impressed by what I saw (first half at least).  He worked hard tracking back, he looked dangerous on the ball, was making good runs and interchanges, scored and generally had a good buzz about him.  Going off injured must have been very frustrating for him. 

I am really starting to think he's one that just needs time - there are some real positives starting to emerge. 

Yep , me too , he doesn't shirk the work , has good defensive attributes and it really isn't his fault that Pochettino hangs all left wingers out to dry by not partnering them with an overlapping full back to help overloads , it's no wonder he keeps being accused of going in field as at least there's some help around him when he does .

• 3 weeks later...

I fear the people responsible for signing him will find it too embarrassing to do the right thing which is get him a loan. Looks like this sorry situation continues as if for another season or two. 

8 minutes ago, Bison said:

Turnover machine that puts the entire team under pressure. 

A player that frustrates the hell out of me.His positioning and ball control,plus general lack of a football brain  is hard to witness.- yet with his speed you can see him destroying a defence...if he only had a(football)brain🥴

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Turnover machine that puts the entire team under pressure. 

Is there an actual list for comparison to provide context?

Not to say this isn't true, but it's easy to sensationalise the point. For all we know the next worst could be considered a "good player" and has lost it 38 times per 100 touches with that same 500 minute cut off. 

• Agree 1

On 29/01/2024 at 11:39, xceleryx said:

Is there an actual list for comparison to provide context?

Not to say this isn't true, but it's easy to sensationalise the point. For all we know the next worst could be considered a "good player" and has lost it 38 times per 100 touches with that same 500 minute cut off. 

Sorry, no access to the full list.

Wingers should be creative and have licence to play off the cuff a little. But Mudryk is a turnover machine with almost nothing to show for all the risks he takes.

Based on everything we've seen so far he should prioritise running off the ball to stretch defences - acceleration and speed are literally his only reliable qualities. However he keeps coming inside, wanting the ball played into feet so he can attempt to dribble past multiple players. I don't know if Poch isn't doing a good job or if he's simply uncoachable but watching somebody continue to do the same thing and failing over and over and over again is getting hard to watch. 

If he continues to play as he has done for the rest of this season what do you think the club should do in the summer? Loan? Sell? Go again for 24/25?

7 hours ago, Bison said:

Sorry, no access to the full list.

Wingers should be creative and have licence to play off the cuff a little. But Mudryk is a turnover machine with almost nothing to show for all the risks he takes.

Based on everything we've seen so far he should prioritise running off the ball to stretch defences - acceleration and speed are literally his only reliable qualities. However he keeps coming inside, wanting the ball played into feet so he can attempt to dribble past multiple players. I don't know if Poch isn't doing a good job or if he's simply uncoachable but watching somebody continue to do the same thing and failing over and over and over again is getting hard to watch. 

If he continues to play as he has done for the rest of this season what do you think the club should do in the summer? Loan? Sell? Go again for 24/25?

That's all good, figured I'd ask as it would be interesting to see how the numbers compare to others in the league. 

Like with most modern wide players the preference is to play inverted, or to heavily lean towards cutting back in towards goal. A big part of this is because wingers are now often seen as auxiliary forwards, not just wide men who are meant to supply to a CF. So I think that's an initial problem that purely stems from the change we've seen in the role over the years and how it's tactically employed.

In the case of Mudryk, and I'm not sure how much you've seen of him while at Shakthar, but he was also somewhat of a playmaker that got on the ball. We've seen brief glimpse of it here when he's drifted central and received the ball, broken a line or found a pocket of space where he's then played in a fellow attacker with a through ball. To pigeon-hole him as just a wide player with speed does do him a little bit of a disservice to some of the other things he can do, albeit not necessarily shown here on a consistent front. 

While he does lose possession a lot, he's generally played out on the left where he's more often than not had Colwill in behind providing zero overlapping support. As such it's not uncommon to see two or three defenders able to close Mudryk and the space around him down to create higher possibilities of turnovers. Me personally would rather see a wide player lose the ball trying to take someone on, granted it has to still be in the right moment (decision making comes into play here), opposed to say what we had with Pulisic where he'd just get breathed on and lose the ball. 

Mudryk still has plenty to learn and you can see that with respects to his movement and understanding of the game at times, that isn't going to happen overnight, nor will it happen by not being out there on the pitch to learn. In the Villa game recently there was a moment where Enzo played in a ball in behind and Mudryk didn't make the run. Enzo sort of gestured to him what to do afterwards, then moments later the same situation unfolded and Mudryk did get in behind for the pass. That indicates that he does listen and wants to learn, which is a good thing.

Even though he's rawer than one would like for a player of his age, I do think there is a good player in there. He may not be the next Robben for example, but he's certainly capable of being an impactful player that can create a bit of chaos just by being out there with his speed. That said, it's also our responsibility to make more of his strengths than we do. 

Looking ahead I wouldn't sell him personally, but could envision a possible loan depending on what we opt to do in the summer with the position. I'm just as content with keeping him around, but if that's the case then he needs to be playing as much as possible. 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

That said, it's also our responsibility to make more of his strengths than we do. 

Anyone would think he's being coached by a centre half who couldn't get a tune out of Mbappe , Neymar and Messi.

Oh. Wait.

46 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

From memory he was an industrial midfielder who won all his medals on the bench 

Full-back if I recall correctly, occasionally drafted into midfield and again from memory a good one. However a proper numbnut presenter.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, east lower said:

Full-back if I recall correctly, occasionally drafted into midfield and again from memory a good one. However a proper numbnut presenter.

I think I'm getting him confused with Ronnie Whelan !

55 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

This is who you are dealing with in Mudryk. Immature, social media and status obsessed, complete mental lightweight and @Mark Kelly still blames him on Poch!

To be fair when you at the keyboard warriors message at the top of that I’d be a bit spikey. Then the dope who started it gives it the “we’re all Chelsea” conciliatory boll**ks.

That’s why they all should stay off the social media cesspits, should be part of contracts. Very little good comes of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

To be fair when you at the keyboard warriors message at the top of that I’d be a bit spikey. Then the dope who started it gives it the “we’re all Chelsea” conciliatory boll**ks.

That’s why they all should stay off the social media cesspits, should be part of contracts. Very little good comes of it.

Mudryk spends all his time on there following women models in London he can hook up with. 

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Mudryk spends all his time on there following women models in London he can hook up with. 

Recently he was being accused of spending far too much time training in the gym.  The club had to tell him to take it easy. 

Seems he can't win. 

• Like 1