Official: Chelsea sign Mykhailo Mudryk on an Eight and a Half Year Deal

JaneB

• 5 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Bison said:

If we need to keep Mudryk for another year in order to get shot of this joke of a manager it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

Just pre-empting Mark Kelly's response.

Fixed. 

I can't remember a more baffling player for us than Mudryk.

He has these small moments where he looks like he could potentially be world class, but considerably more where it looks like he's never played football until now. It's almost as if we are seeing a player who was exceptionally good at playing in the park with his mates, or doing tricks in his garden, suddenly be put into a match environment. He just looks genuinely confused about when to run, when to track back, who to pass to, when to press... its stuff a player his age should have mastered.

It's possible he's a late bloomer, but I'm really not sure. I fear he may be an outrageous talent that was lost because of a lower standard of coaching. Had he come through our academy, I think we could be talking about someone very different. 

A decision needs to be made this summer. The choices should be between keep, sell, or loan. 

If we keep, he needs to be played centrally. This does give him the opportunity and freedom to do some of the ridiculous bits of individual skill he has displayed on occasion (goal vs Newcastle at home for instance). Playing him on the wings is limiting and  think frankly he just doesn't understand what to do in that position. The problem is, by playing him as a ten we are dropping Gallagher or Nkunku (assuming fitness) or possibly Palmer. Can we really say that any of those players should be dropped for Mudryk? I think the case would be difficult to make. 

If we sell him, I suspect we will make quite a substantial loss. I'm also not sure who would actually buy him. But since he has had two seasons and barely shown any improvement,  this  may be a reasonable option.

I think the most likely option is a loan. He would need to go somewhere with a coach who is willing to work with him and his deficiencies. I'd be reluctant to send him to a PL team because he wouldn't get in many due to his tactical deficiencies. Maybe the only one who would want him is De Zerbi at Brighton.

I am really disappointed about the situation. I saw Mudryk play for Shaktar against Celtic and thought he was magnificent. I had such high hopes when we signed him. He also does have some real individual quality, and it's  confusing that he looks so lost at PL level. 

In an ideal world, we would see vast improvement under different coaching either here or on loan. But sadly I'm not optimistic.

33 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

He has these small moments where he looks like he could potentially be world class, but considerably more where it looks like he's never played football until now. It's almost as if we are seeing a player who was exceptionally good at playing in the park with his mates, or doing tricks in his garden, suddenly be put into a match environment. He just looks genuinely confused about when to run, when to track back, who to pass to, when to press... its stuff a player his age should have mastered.

It's possible he's a late bloomer, but I'm really not sure. I fear he may be an outrageous talent that was lost because of a lower standard of coaching. Had he come through our academy, I think we could be talking about someone very different. 

A decision needs to be made this summer. The choices should be between keep, sell, or loan. 

If we keep, he needs to be played centrally. This does give him the opportunity and freedom to do some of the ridiculous bits of individual skill he has displayed on occasion (goal vs Newcastle at home for instance). Playing him on the wings is limiting and  think frankly he just doesn't understand what to do in that position. The problem is, by playing him as a ten we are dropping Gallagher or Nkunku (assuming fitness) or possibly Palmer. Can we really say that any of those players should be dropped for Mudryk? I think the case would be difficult to make. 

If we sell him, I suspect we will make quite a substantial loss. I'm also not sure who would actually buy him. But since he has had two seasons and barely shown any improvement,  this  may be a reasonable option.

I think the most likely option is a loan. He would need to go somewhere with a coach who is willing to work with him and his deficiencies. I'd be reluctant to send him to a PL team because he wouldn't get in many due to his tactical deficiencies. Maybe the only one who would want him is De Zerbi at Brighton.

I am really disappointed about the situation. I saw Mudryk play for Shaktar against Celtic and thought he was magnificent. I had such high hopes when we signed him. He also does have some real individual quality, and it's  confusing that he looks so lost at PL level. 

In an ideal world, we would see vast improvement under different coaching either here or on loan. But sadly I'm not optimistic.

If Mudryk was a free transfer or a £5m signing I don’t think anyone would be advocating to give him more minutes.

He is, quite simply, miles off the level we require.  He doesn’t even do some of the basics like run off the ball to take a defender away or stretch the play,  he doesn’t track back and put himself about and constantly turns over possession in dangerous areas.

Madueke is a player you would describe as raw and needing of minutes and he has for exceeded Mudryk already. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

I just think he’s shit tbh 🤷🏻‍♂️😬🙈🤷🏻‍♂️

Let's not forget this is a player who was good enough to play in the Champions league for Zhaktar when De Zerbi was in charge there.

He may be struggling with understanding what Pochettino wants from him and too immature to not worry about it, he's under an enormous amount of pressure mindful of the fee and mindful of the lack of impact he's making. 

He's definitely not crap but he's definitely not reaching anywhere near his potential under the coach who loves chaos and vibes. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 3

I want to believe he can become a good player and I have seen moments where you can see some talent in there, but more often than not he just looks very much out of place. If he wasn’t earning so much, I’d actually feel quite sorry for him (I still do to an extent). I think it was the wrong move at the wrong time and he’d have been better off going to a club that had a much clearer structure in place to support him as he moved over to this country and learnt the league and the culture. He signed for Chelsea when we were in even more chaos than we are at the moment. I don’t see who in the squad would have and could have taken him under their wing whilst he was trying to settle.

Personally, I think some of his more dangerous looking periods is when he has played more centrally, more in the No 10 role.

It seems to free him up to play more off the cuff, rather than having to carry out specific instructions from a wider role.

Obviously , Palmer has been very good playing in these areas too, which has limited Mudryk appearing centrally. I do think it’s worth a shot though and I would like to see Palmer left and Mudryk central at some point in the final few games. I think we would see improvement here, as I also think some of his better combination plays have tended to be with Jackson, more than any other player. 

8 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Personally, I think some of his more dangerous looking periods is when he has played more centrally, more in the No 10 role.

It seems to free him up to play more off the cuff, rather than having to carry out specific instructions from a wider role.

Obviously , Palmer has been very good playing in these areas too, which has limited Mudryk appearing centrally. I do think it’s worth a shot though and I would like to see Palmer left and Mudryk central at some point in the final few games. I think we would see improvement here, as I also think some of his better combination plays have tended to be with Jackson, more than any other player. 

I agree he’s much better more central and with Gallagher now playing as part of the midfield 2, I could see an option of playing Jackson left and then Mudryk and Palmer central, alternating between the ‘9’ and ‘10’.

• Like 1

I doubt Mudryk ever puts together even one game as technically clean and impressive as CHO had today. 

The mind boggles. 60m on a semi-pro level player when your own academy produces this type of talent is insanity. 

It's looking more likely that he won't make it here than will  make it here. However, he is still a very inexperienced for a player of his age and there is  some talent there that might just blossom, do I don't want us to give up on him just yet. Give him one more season and then make a decision on his future here.

Edited by boratsbrother

1 hour ago, Bison said:

I doubt Mudryk ever puts together even one game as technically clean and impressive as CHO had today. 

The mind boggles. 60m on a semi-pro level player when your own academy produces this type of talent is insanity. 

It's quite amazing. 

Almost as amazing why he couldn't do it for us to the same degree. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's quite amazing. 

Almost as amazing why he couldn't do it for us to the same degree. 

Not sure if you heard but he tore his achilles. Understandably, it took time to recover from such a career threatening injury but there he is today, performing at a high level against the best team in Europe. 

6 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I think Mudryk gets shoehorned a little because people see his speed and just think "stick him on the wing". However, at Shakhtar he had greater freedom to be more of a playmaker by getting on the ball, playing centrally, and just overall being move involved. We do a really good job of isolating him out wide, to where he barely gets a touch so on the occasions that he does there's greater pressure to make something of it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2