Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

10 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I earnestly hope he crashes and burns at United after that revelation and that the fans turn on him. I will never mention his name again.

I can remember many saying something similar when the late Butch went to ManUre

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I can remember many saying something similar when the late Butch went to ManUre

Not questioning your memory but I don't recall the same sort of venom and sense of betrayal (or piss taking!)....as I recall...bear in mind my OG memory... there was a huge element of financial necessity for the club to do the deal....but again a long time ago.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, chara said:

Not questioning your memory but I don't recall the same sort of venom and sense of betrayal (or piss taking!)....as I recall...bear in mind my OG memory... there was a huge element of financial necessity for the club to do the deal....but again a long time ago.

To be fair,  that's my recollection also. 

A lot of disappointment,  but acceptance because of the information as regards our financial position at that point in time.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, east lower said:

You might do it to ensure one of your potential young superstars, who is now getting universal praise snd who last season played lots of PL games - can see his pathway to first-team football hasn't got multiple 'hurdles'to overcome?

If you were a side hunting Levi down, the you're in my first-team when fit is one of the first sales pitches.

To be fair, the selling of Koulibaly was surely that - particularly considering his reputation, wages etc. 

No disrespect to Trev, but I’m not sure why Levi would be worried about him sticking around?  Fofana and BB would be valid names to chuck around, but I suspect most people would have Chalobah as clearly 5th choice. 

That said, I personally wouldn’t sell him…. Chelsea boy, versatile, great attitude etc, but if he doesn’t want to go on loan for a year until Silva leaves, and you can get good money for him - you probably have to take it.

Gallagher on the other hand, no way (this season at least).  Our midfield is currently Enzo and Gallagher. I don’t think we can include Santos and Casadei as definite options at this stage of the window.

Focus now needs to be on 2-3 incomings asap. Don’t waste time on Lukaku, Ziyech and Aubameyang - keep them away from the squad and let other clubs / their agents do the heavy lifting 

Edited by Rob B

2 hours ago, chara said:

Those were the days when venom was usually dished out on the terraces, school playground or down the pub. No internet for rinse and repeat to the point of overkill and becoming boring. 

It’s quite bizarre how Masons sale was also a kind of a financial necessity to balance the FFP books 

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Those were the days when venom was usually dished out on the terraces, school playground or down the pub. No internet for rinse and repeat to the point of overkill and becoming boring. 

It’s quite bizarre how Masons sale was also a kind of a financial necessity to balance the FFP books 

Insightful post...how things have changed...plus balancing an "artificial" ceiling against a financial survival deal. Bizarre indeed.

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You know what I don’t get. 
If he wanted to leave, in these days of “brands” and PR etc, he could have done it so much better. You can tell the club are angry by the send-off he received online, especially compared to even RLC, let alone Azpi. 

Yes that’s a good point. There’s something that has happened which either side looks at very differently. 

I don’t have any qualms about him being a Chelsea boy. You do t spend 18 years at a club without the feelings towards it. Mason was out today claiming Chelsea made it very clear he wasn’t in their plans. Make of that what you will but I’m adamant the club has done something to  piss him off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, east lower said:

You might do it to ensure one of your potential young superstars, who is now getting universal praise snd who last season played lots of PL games - can see his pathway to first-team football hasn't got multiple 'hurdles'to overcome?

If you were a side hunting Levi down, the you're in my first-team when fit is one of the first sales pitches.

If Colwill can’t get past Chalobah on merit he doesn’t deserve to be first choice. The club needs to look after the club’s interest. Chalobah can play across a back four. With Silvas age it’s madness to sell him. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

If Colwill can’t get past Chalobah on merit he doesn’t deserve to be first choice. The club needs to look after the club’s interest. Chalobah can play across a back four. With Silvas age it’s madness to sell him. 

I've said it before but I'd love to see Chalobah tried at DM under the guidance of Poch. 

I've got a feeling he'd be in his element there.  

Edited by Michael Tucker
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Not so sure.

We are up to around £200m in player sales. That's without Lukaku, Ziyech, Aubameyang and possibly Chalobah. Also an astronomical amount of wages off the books.

I'm not very clued up on FFP and I'm sure someone mentioned wages aren't that important, I terms of immediate effect on FFP, or something like that but it must have some importance, especially the amount we have got rid of.

Getting rid of him was definitely a necessity just not for the reason you mentioned, more that the scum bag, Judas w***er did not want to be here and pretty much forced a move to one of our most hated rivals. 

That would have been me a few days ago.

Regarding wages in relation to FFP, they are every bit as important as the initial transfer fee, and are amortized in the same way as the transfer fee. The difference comes when the player is sold. Whilst the incoming fee goes into the 'income' column in full, the wages for that year still go into the 'expenses' column. Any savings made on wages are what we no longer have to pay in future years, now that the player is no longer at the club. So whatever we "saved" in wages by selling Koulibally, for example, don't show up in this year's accounts (as we've paid him for this year); they just allow more wiggle room in future years.

In terms of what we needed to do by 30th June to stay within FFP rules for the 1st July 2020 to 30th June 2023 accounting period, the money from player sales would count towards that, but obviously not the "notional savings" of not having to pay their wages in the future.

Edited by Bob Singleton
Edited for clarity
  • Agree 1

@Bob Singleton...I might disagree with you at times Bob...and you me ...but I have to say your detailed input on financial matters and the amazing effort with player transfer information and such is awesome and certainly appreciated by me for one.

Thank you.... a contribution to the Forum I felt needed highlighting.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

That would have been me a few days ago.

Regarding wages in relation to FFP, they are every bit as important as the initial transfer fee, and are amortized in the same way as the transfer fee. The difference comes when the player is sold. Whilst the incoming fee goes into the 'income' column in full, the wages for that year still go into the 'expenses' column. Any savings made on wages are what we no longer have to pay in future years, now that the player is no longer at the club.

In terms of what we needed to do by 30th June to stay within FFP rules for the 1st July 2020 to 30th June 2023 accounting period, the money from player sales would count towards that, but not the "notional savings" of not having to pay their wages in the future.

Cheers Bob, yeah I remember now.

Like I said, I've never really looked into FFP so only have a very basic understanding of how it all works but it sounds like you know what your talking about so thanks for your continued input on the subject.

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Chalobah can play at RB as well as CB. With James injury issues and Gusto being very much an untried entity in the PL why on heavens earth would we even entertain selling Chalobah? 

I get the sense that the club only wants to keep players from the academy if they are absolute world class. If they are just average to good PL players we want to sell them and buy expensive foreign imports who are worse and cost more. 

Gallagher and Chalobah can’t be sold. The club are absolute morons if they do. Sorry, there is just no other way to put it. 

CB 5 / RB 3 in a season without europe. He will barely play. 

Gallagher on the other hand, I agree. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

This may be true, but at the same time Thiago Silva's age makes him a candidate to decline at any given moment - irrespective of how good he's been up until this point. Then there's Fofana who's had his injury concerns. I'd be highly surprised if either of these are available for every game this upcoming season. 

While as already raised by others, Colwill and Badiashile are LCB's and shouldn't really have much influence on Chalobah's place. Plus he can be that 3rd choice RB if needed should Reece James break down again or Gusto takes time to settle.

Can understand wanting a smaller squad, but we've probably got a couple of positions where having an extra player on hand isn't necessarily a bad thing. Providing that player understands the circumstances around their role. 

Nothing stops us from revisiting the situation in January either, should that be required.

Edited by xceleryx
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ham said:

I've said it before but I'd love to see Chalobah tried at DM under the guidance of Poch. 

I've got a feeling he'd be in his element there.  

Has he not already been tried at DM?.He is a centre back all day long and a good one.

He was another player that looked like settling in as a centre back and then was mysteriously dropped.

He was not the only one tinkered with/ fcuked about by  clueless coaching. 

I don't hear anyone mention Felix.He looked better than most of the players we wasted a shed load of money on.

But he couldn't play in a 442 or a 451 or 352 the usual nonsense.

He looked comfortable in the premiership or am I missing a nuance?.

9 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Getting rid of him was definitely a necessity just not for the reason you mentioned, more that the scum bag, Judas w***er did not want to be here and pretty much forced a move to one of our most hated rivals. 

Didn’t Enzo tell Porto he wanted to go Chelsea,?
Ashley Cole told Wenger he wanted to go to Chelsea?

One can assume casideo has told Brighton he wants Chelsea  

Are these not examples the same thing?

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

I don't hear anyone mention Felix.He looked better than most of the players we wasted a shed load of money on.

Might be worth another season loan at a reasonable fee. The last fee for 6 months was a joke and you could buy that bloke in serie A for less. 

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I’m not so sure he’d end up as CB5/RB3. If James get any type of long-term injury he’s got a real chance of being RB1. I also think he might find himself more like CB3 than CB5. Fofana has an awful lot to prove still and has at a young age suffered two serious knee injuries. Badiashile is the only one I feel rather safe about, Silvas age means his performances can deteriorate quickly, just look at JT. He went from world class to bench in a matter of 12 months. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Might be worth another season loan at a reasonable fee. The last fee for 6 months was a joke and you could buy that bloke in serie A for less. 

I agree we should give him another go. He looked like the most exciting creative player last season. 

12 hours ago, chara said:

There were huge differences between the clubs at the time. We'd just been relegated and the club was in dire straits. There was sadness but acceptance. Add to that, over the piece, Ray remained a Blue to the end. No comparison. That said, I have no intention of booing Mount if he steps on the field at SB, that would suggest I care a jot about the guy. I do not. Just another Manc now.