The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

AAMOI, has Hazard's game declined that much since he left us? I don't watch Spanish football, so I don't get to see him much. I know he has had a lot of injuries and, apparently, has struggled with his weight just as he did with us, but he is only in his early thirties, which does not seem that old to me.

18 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

AAMOI, has Hazard's game declined that much since he left us? I don't watch Spanish football, so I don't get to see him much. I know he has had a lot of injuries and, apparently, has struggled with his weight just as he did with us, but he is only in his early thirties, which does not seem that old to me.

Years of turning on a sixpence and getting hacked down at high speed has caught up with him. I can see Grealish going the same way.

A lot of strain on the hips, knees and ankles. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Ham said:

Years of turning on a sixpence and getting hacked down at high speed has caught up with him. I can see Grealish going the same way.

A lot of strain on the hips, knees and ankles. 

Also never been the type to mercilessly torture himself into extreme fitness, so even the style of his game aside it's not that big a surprise he's waned at this age. Most players would be well into their downward spiral by his age if you go back 25 or so years.

3 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

On the other hand, Zola only joined us at the age of 30, about 25 years ago.  Vialli was 32 and Gullit 33. I suppose it comes down to how well you look after yourself.

Not sure this is really "on the other hand". Vialli and Gullit we were able to get precisely because their powers had waned, because their time at the very top was over. Both still class and a cut above the majority of PL players of course, but a different time. 

I've never really understood why Zola wasn't a household name before joining us, mind you. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Not sure this is really "on the other hand". Vialli and Gullit we were able to get precisely because their powers had waned, because their time at the very top was over. Both still class and a cut above the majority of PL players of course, but a different time. 

I've never really understood why Zola wasn't a household name before joining us, mind you. 

I think he'd suffered as Maradonnas stand in at Napoli, and when sold to Parma they rarely played him as they had from memory Hristo Stoichkov in his position and hilariously Ancelotti of all people not rating him

Personally he's probably the greatest Chelsea forward ever, he could probably do a job for us now

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gianfranco Zola, probably my favourite Chelsea player of all time. Absolute class on the pitch and a proper gent off it as well, I had the pleasure of meeting him once and he’s genuinely such a nice, humble and pleasant guy. 

What an honour for you Sam 😍

A wonderful footballer, exceptional human being and a lovely man.  No praise too great.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, those crazy Belgians...

[Apologies for linking to the Fail]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12209805/Thibaut-Courtois-fails-Belgium-duty-spat-Romelu-Lukaku-named-captain.html

Thibaut Courtois 'fails to show up for Belgium duty' in spat over Romelu Lukaku being named captain ahead of him on 100th cap with wife-to-be watching - and 'after dressing room row'

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 09:46, Bob Singleton said:

Ah, those crazy Belgians...

[Apologies for linking to the Fail]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12209805/Thibaut-Courtois-fails-Belgium-duty-spat-Romelu-Lukaku-named-captain.html

Thibaut Courtois 'fails to show up for Belgium duty' in spat over Romelu Lukaku being named captain ahead of him on 100th cap with wife-to-be watching - and 'after dressing room row'

Tbf, much as I dislike Courtois i can see his point here.  Been at the top of his game for ages, won loads of late and is overlooked for an overweight dollop with a terrible attitude.  It's no wonder Belgium have massively under-achieved if their idea of leadership is that pillock. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Tbf, much as I dislike Courtois i can see his point here.  Been at the top of his game for ages, won loads of late and is overlooked for an overweight dollop with a terrible attitude.  It's no wonder Belgium have massively under-achieved if their idea of leadership is that pillock. 

Oh, I quite agree... and interestingly, since that story first came out, it seems the real reason for Courtois going (supposedly) AWOL is a knee injury.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Fabregas has retired. Fantastic player, what I wouldn't give to have him in his prime here now.

The kind of player that when seen live, you really see what he’s about. Pure class. A truly wonderful midfielder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1