TV and Films

JaneB

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I've said it before but Silicon Valley is probably the best and most underrated comedy series there is.

Screenshot_20230131_171614_Chrome.jpg

Love this show!

Equally as underrated, in my opinion, is Superstore. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I did I loved it!

Another brilliant recent comedy that probably isn’t underrated and is very good is Schitt’s Creek.

3 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Detectorists - fabulously British!

Madmen - the best TV series ever written in my view.

Top 5 films:

Airplane

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Schindler's List

El Dorado

It's A Wonderful Life

I enjoyed this, particularly as this was the industry I worked in up until relatively recently, but for me Breaking Bad is better.

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I enjoyed this, particularly as this was the industry I worked in up until relatively recently, but for me Breaking Bad is better.

What I loved about Madmen was its incredibly detailed and intelligent analysis of the style and manners of the time. At every turn we are immersed in the anachronistic attitudes and behaviours, but the touch is light and there is an absence of judgement, almost like a documentary about the extraordinary lives of the characters in the most extraordinary of  times. The female actors were particularly brilliant I thought.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Some great footage of the Bridge in 1945 with Chelsea beating Millwall to winning the Cup Final South at Wembley (also losing to Bolton in the the Cup Winners Cup).

Where did all those people come from seeing as we traditionally had three supporters?

On 01/02/2023 at 10:38, Mark Kelly said:

Where did all those people come from seeing as we traditionally had three supporters?

I know! We are just a small club! Still hold the all time attendance record for extant league grounds - 82,905 v Arsenal in 1935 I think.

Only Man City at the now defunct Maine Road and Spurs at Wembley are higher.

• Like 1

Ok..a call to the Macho guys and tough ladies.

I consider myself a "sensitive soul" or as MrsC puts it "You are a Woose..plain and simple".

There are certain moments in movies that on occasion bring a hint of moisture to my eyes..sometimes maybe a little more than a hint.

Some examples...many years past I watched "Forest Gump" for the first time on a flight to UK across the Atlantic...moisture ensued..three weeks later on the return flight..same movie same reaction.

We watched it again a weekend or so past...guess what?

Another would be "Second Hand Lions"....every time at the end.....my last offering.."Quigly Down Under"..surprised?...some wonderful quotes..but...before Quigly rides off for the final shootout etc..."You sure look pretty in the morning sun"...sniff and quick wipe.

NOW...anyone brave enough to reply?

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

In the last episode of the derectorists when the treasure is revealed I cried like a baby.

Spoiler alert!!! 

Fortunately I’ve seen it and it does bring a tear to the eye. Had a go at metal detecting with a mate for a bit and what they find (the crappy stuff) and their reactions to it are spot on! Never found any treasure so I’m not sure what that’s like.

5 hours ago, chara said:

Ok..a call to the Macho guys and tough ladies.

I consider myself a "sensitive soul" or as MrsC puts it "You are a Woose..plain and simple".

There are certain moments in movies that on occasion bring a hint of moisture to my eyes..sometimes maybe a little more than a hint.

Some examples...many years past I watched "Forest Gump" for the first time on a flight to UK across the Atlantic...moisture ensued..three weeks later on the return flight..same movie same reaction.

We watched it again a weekend or so past...guess what?

Another would be "Second Hand Lions"....every time at the end.....my last offering.."Quigly Down Under"..surprised?...some wonderful quotes..but...before Quigly rides off for the final shootout etc..."You sure look pretty in the morning sun"...sniff and quick wipe.

NOW...anyone brave enough to reply?

Plenty of films have brought on the waterworks for me! I defy anyone not to blub at "Who Will Love My Children?" - a true story. Schindler's List was so powerful that the whole cinema sat stunned and tearful through the whole credits until the lights came on. Love Story, Turner & Hooch, Gorillas In The Mist, Sophie's Choice, Steel Magnolias, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas........

5 hours ago, chrisb said:

Spoiler alert!!! 

Fortunately I’ve seen it and it does bring a tear to the eye. Had a go at metal detecting with a mate for a bit and what they find (the crappy stuff) and their reactions to it are spot on! Never found any treasure so I’m not sure what that’s like.

Ah...Treasure...twice ...I found Mrs C at 18 and again 11 year ago...(She gets to read posts at times!!!)

Last Post and Taps in any movie..instant ..."I'm afraid he can't hear you,,,(pause)  Captain"

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

TV

X-file series

La Femme Nikita series

Sarah Connor Chronicles

Spartacus Blood and Sand series

Silent Witness

Currently re-runs of Missing Without a Trace.

Films

LA Confidential

Little Miss Sunshine

Saving Mr. Banks

The Hunter - like @charabrought tears to my face.

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Only slightly agree. I didn't like the last episode. Nothing was really resolved. 

Once TJ Miller left that's when I felt it sort of stumble more. But yeah, didn't have a resolved ending and probably deserved better but that's how it goes I guess.

I'm a big Seinfeld fan, so I'm familiar with good shows ending poorly. 😂

6 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Once TJ Miller left that's when I felt it sort of stumble more. But yeah, didn't have a resolved ending and probably deserved better but that's how it goes I guess.

I'm a big Seinfeld fan, so I'm familiar with good shows ending poorly. 😂

Me too.  I could discuss Seinfeld for hours. Ending was awful. 

No soup for the writing team!!

Quick follow up to the tears thread.

Short very understated dignified farewell today at Fort Logan National Cemetary.

They played Taps...I cried.

Back to the silver screen...Seinfeld....Kramer and Newman in the Post Office vehicle and soda cans.

For me, it is often films where characters go through great hardship or sacrifice for the benefit of others. I suppose that's because I was brought up to think that Shackleton was a hero because he risked his life to rescuse his shipmates where Scott was a bit of a prat.