TV and Films

JaneB

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2023 at 13:56, boratsbrother said:

I watched it on YouTube.

Although I really enjoyed the movie I wouldn't rate it quite as highly as yourself and Ham do.

First rate acting from all, great script and solidly directed. I just felt that the story wasn't as strong as those other parts of the movie. Perhaps I'm guilty of wanting a different movie, but I felt that it llacked the big payoff at the end. To take it to being a classic level movie, It needed a horrible **** at the core of the movie who was brought down at the end, like what happened to Gordon Gekko in Wall Street. Alec Baldwin put in a blistering cameo at the start of the movie (my favourite scene in the movie) and I though he was going to be that character, but they went nowhere with him after that, which was a shame and wate of a potentially classic movie baddie.

Having said that, i would agree that it's well worth watching for those who've never seen it.

I watched the movie again and on second veiwing i think I did the film an injustice in not rating it as a classic movie. It is up their amongst my all-time favourite movies now 

• Like 1

Alex Baldwin was accused of involuntary manslaughter in the filming of Rust; while Kevin Spacey was accused of seven charges of sexual assault against a man in the early 2000s. Both plead not guilty, so on the principle of innocent until proven guilty ...

• 8 months later...

Back on topic, watched Shattered Glass (2003) last night. True story about a young US journo who falls from grace after it's found out he's fabricated over half of his articles. IMDB 7.1. Quite excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rather belated, but A Question of Sport has finally been axed, and not before time.  It should have been axed 5-10 years ago, it's basically trying to turn itself into the unfunny League Of Their Own.  Paddy McGuiness is a joke of a presenter and Ugo Monye and Sam Quek are crap captains, they've got no personality whatsoever.  QOS had died a slow, painful death just like Soccer AM  on Sky.

36 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Rather belated, but A Question of Sport has finally been axed, and not before time.  It should have been axed 5-10 years ago, it's basically trying to turn itself into the unfunny League Of Their Own.  Paddy McGuiness is a joke of a presenter and Ugo Monye and Sam Quek are crap captains, they've got no personality whatsoever.  QOS had died a slow, painful death just like Soccer AM  on Sky.

Yep and McGuiness is also partly responsible for killing Top Gear too. Him and Flintoff are so up their respective arses. It's been like a competition to see who could be the most annoying,  smug northerner.

Give me 5th Gear every time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2023 at 09:19, RDCW said:

Detectorists - fabulously British!

Madmen - the best TV series ever written in my view.

Top 5 films:

Airplane

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Schindler's List

El Dorado

It's A Wonderful Life

Only just discovered The Detectorists.

Just starting series 3.  Wonderful little series.

28 minutes ago, Ham said:

Only just discovered The Detectorists.

Just starting series 3.  Wonderful little series.

Goodness Ham...if I had known would have given you a heads up...marvelous series...we have binge watched for the second time....plus a Christmas special not to be missed. All magical.

Just finished "Fool Me Once"....enjoyed it especially breaking down the unlikely scenarios but great acting and worth the switch off of logic!

Reminds why I stopped reading the writer's books a long time ago...enjoyed the first one or two and then realised I was reading the same story over and over again..especially the surprise twist at the end when it seemed the only once mentioned fisherman (for invented example) mentioned at the end of chapter two was invariably the master mind behind every twist and turn!

"Shetland" finished here leaving Wednesday blank..."Reacher" Thursday and a surprisingly..to me ..enjoyable "Only Murders In The Building" three episode 1st series binge on Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, chara said:

Goodness Ham...if I had known would have given you a heads up...marvelous series...we have binge watched for the second time....plus a Christmas special not to be missed. All magical.

Just finished "Fool Me Once"....enjoyed it especially breaking down the unlikely scenarios but great acting and worth the switch off of logic!

Reminds why I stopped reading the writer's books a long time ago...enjoyed the first one or two and then realised I was reading the same story over and over again..especially the surprise twist at the end when it seemed the only once mentioned fisherman (for invented example) mentioned at the end of chapter two was invariably the master mind behind every twist and turn!

"Shetland" finished here leaving Wednesday blank..."Reacher" Thursday and a surprisingly..to me ..enjoyable "Only Murders In The Building" three episode 1st series binge on Tuesday.

Yeah I'm very late to the party with Detectorists.  

Love the fact that Simon and Garfunkel are actually Peters and Lee. So subtly delivered. 

My missus made me watch Fool me once.  Ironically she fooled me into watching it and I'll never do it again. 

Cannot bear Harlen Coban stuff.  Don't even get me on the plot holes, which were many. 

@Ham..agree 100% on Harlen Coban...I won't watch any of the tv adaptations...sort of slipped into "Fool Me" and liked the portrayals. It is the depth of Winter here and anything can slip by the usual radar on tv! 

a

Loved The Detectorists and having dabbled with it as a hobby a few years ago could relate to the crap finds they make!

Fool me Once….they clearly had no military advisers as the mistakes were truly phenomenal and as @Ham says the plot holes are big enough to fly that Apache helicopter into! 

8 hours ago, chrisb said:

Loved The Detectorists and having dabbled with it as a hobby a few years ago could relate to the crap finds they make!

Fool me Once….they clearly had no military advisers as the mistakes were truly phenomenal and as @Ham says the plot holes are big enough to fly that Apache helicopter into! 

Totally agree....whilst I do not have the military perspective on weapons etc I have been around firearms for most of my adult life and although I left UK in 1987 for all intents and purposes having the collection of firearms Maya had would have been almost impossible back then so goodness knows how it is now..... Hokum it was ..rather like enjoying Wiley Coyote and friends...enjoyable but still a cartoon!

And..Shane? the Red Cap?....unshaven and slovenly in uniform ?... any thoughts?...(By the way my step daughter is en route..if not there now...to Los Gallados.)

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, chara said:

Totally agree....whilst I do not have the military perspective on weapons etc I have been around firearms for most of my adult life and although I left UK in 1987 for all intents and purposes having the collection of firearms Maya had would have been almost impossible back then so goodness knows how it is now..... Hokum it was ..rather like enjoying Wiley Coyote and friends...enjoyable but still a cartoon!

And..Shane? the Red Cap?....unshaven and slovenly in uniform ?... any thoughts?...(By the way my step daughter is en route..if not there now...to Los Gallados.)

Shane was the biggest error, his beret worn completely wrong (and not an RMP cap badge either), unshaven in uniform as you rightly say, piloting an Apache as an RMP and then returning to being an RMP once back home! There were loads more including the firearms and complete lack of safety on the indoor pistol range. The wife kept telling me off for laughing at it! Kind of enjoyable once everything was overlooked! Thought Joanna Lumley was a great choice for playing the quintessential posh English lady.

Hope your step daughter enjoys her holiday (if that’s what it is), the weather looks lovely and I’m hoping it stays that way as we’re flying out next Thursday for the weekend.

32 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Shane was the biggest error, his beret worn completely wrong (and not an RMP cap badge either), unshaven in uniform as you rightly say, piloting an Apache as an RMP and then returning to being an RMP once back home! There were loads more including the firearms and complete lack of safety on the indoor pistol range. The wife kept telling me off for laughing at it! Kind of enjoyable once everything was overlooked! Thought Joanna Lumley was a great choice for playing the quintessential posh English lady.

Hope your step daughter enjoys her holiday (if that’s what it is), the weather looks lovely and I’m hoping it stays that way as we’re flying out next Thursday for the weekend.

Even Mrs C commented on the beret!..and we did "question" the pilot to Red Cap!..as you say once you overlook the "foolishness" it was enjoyable enough and Joanna Lumley was brilliant.

Rebecca proving nurturing over nature has my wandering itch and is in a camper crisscrossing Spain..where she has lived off and on over the years..fluent Spanish from childhood and with a very "Local" accent, Says shes going to the bar in LG to see if my picture is still on the wall..very long shot!

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, chara said:

My daughter got me into Only Murders In The Building and I loved it!!!  Clever, hilarious stuff and Steve Martin and Martin Short are perfection together

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, chara said:

I watched Shetland, but it seemed a little lost without Jimmy Perez. I always liked Tosh, so it was not all bad. TBH, I'd watch it for the scenery.  BTW, "tosh" comes from the Gaelic "Mac An Toisich", where toisich means "leader" in Gaelic (or so my partner, who speaks a little Gaelic, tells me). So, being the leader seems appropriate. I am a couple of episodes from the end of Reacher, so don't tell me!

39 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I watched Shetland, but it seemed a little lost without Jimmy Perez. I always liked Tosh, so it was not all bad. TBH, I'd watch it for the scenery.  BTW, "tosh" comes from the Gaelic "Mac An Toisich", where toisich means "leader" in Gaelic (or so my partner, who speaks a little Gaelic, tells me). So, being the leader seems appropriate. I am a couple of episodes from the end of Reacher, so don't tell me!

As if I would, but so are we so no chance,,,will watch it later today 1-00 pm 'ish here ,,,and snowing...oh joy.

Enjoyed "Shetland"....missed Perez but same as  you like Tosh and the scenery is breathtaking....missed..on reflection...the personal life interaction of the previous series...somewhat neglected this time round but still looking forward to any future series.

My sister in her later career days worked for the Scottish Education Board or whatever they are called as a school inspector and visited Shetlands and other Islands on many occasions ....speaks some Gaelic among many other tongues! Born Linguist and still in retirement gives French Classes to "Seniors"!

• Like 2

Some classic conversations in Detectorists;

"Is that a porcupine?"

"No it's a hedgehog".

"I thought they were flat ".

"The dead ones are but they're normally spherical ". 

"Ok Richard Attenborough ".

"It's David actually ". 

"Oh sorry I've been calling you Andy ".

"That medication doesn't agree with me".

*Holding up the medication pack to her mouth - voice of the medication* "Yes we do".

Bloody brilliant.  

• Agree 2

@Ham....the sneaky Simon and Garfunkel digs at "Simon and Garfunkel" and the "Mastermind" nearly got the answer conversations...just a brilliant warm series that wraps itself around you and the ultimate hook...you CARE about all the characters.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, chara said:

@Ham....the sneaky Simon and Garfunkel digs at "Simon and Garfunkel" and the "Mastermind" nearly got the answer conversations...just a brilliant warm series that wraps itself around you and the ultimate hook...you CARE about all the characters.

The house auction scene was simply hilarious. 

And yes, that's the mark of a great series. One where you love the characters. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ham said:

Just discovered that a one off feature length episode was released for Christmas 2022.  That's my evening sorted. 

Enjoy...you wont be disappointed...the simple warm feeling of familiar faces returning.

We on the other hand are in between stuff apart from the weekly "Reacher" although we did watch/binge  "Steeltown Murders" last night after "Reacher"...I'm not keen on reenactment series as very personal hurting stuff can be clumsily presented but it was well done and although enjoyable is not the right word it certainly was worth the viewing.