TV and Films

JaneB

Some of my favourite films.

It Happened One Night. Perfect chemistry between Clark Gable and the wonderful Claudette Colbert.

The Postman Always Rings Twice. Again, brilliant chemistry between the two leads, John Garfield and Lana Turner. Lana was sex on a stick at that time.❤️

Sunset Boulevard. Another classic golden oldie with William Holden on top form and an amazing performance from Gloria Swanson.

Strangers On A Train. Somewhat underrated Hitchcock movie.

The Great Escape. Never tire of seeing this.

The Hustler. Paul Newman was never better!

12 Angry Men. 12 men sitting in a room talking doesn't sound very enticing, but this gripped me from the first minute until the end. 

Once Upon A Time In America. Criminally underrated ganster movie with a peaktime Robert Di Niro.

Scarface. Peaktime Al Pacino on top form. 

Berverly Hills Cop. Trading Places. Back when Eddie Murphy was funny and making great movies.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2023 at 11:51, boratsbrother said:

Some of my favourite films.

It Happened One Night. Perfect chemistry between Clark Gable and the wonderful Claudette Colbert.

The Postman Always Rings Twice. Again, brilliant chemistry between the two leads, John Garfield and Lana Turner. Lana was sex on a stick at that time.❤️

Sunset Boulevard. Another classic golden oldie with William Holden on top form and an amazing performance from Gloria Swanson.

Strangers On A Train. Somewhat underrated Hitchcock movie.

The Great Escape. Never tire of seeing this.

The Hustler. Paul Newman was never better!

12 Angry Men. 12 men sitting in a room talking doesn't sound very enticing, but this gripped me from the first minute until the end. 

Once Upon A Time In America. Criminally underrated ganster movie with a peaktime Robert Di Niro.

Scarface. Peaktime Al Pacino on top form. 

Berverly Hills Cop. Trading Places. Back when Eddie Murphy was funny and making great movies.

A few more.

I listed Sunset Boulevard as one of my all-time favs but forgot to add another great movie about the movie industry - The Bad And The Beautiful, starring Kirk Douglas and Lana Turner. 

On oldie which I love but one which get a bit of flack from the critics is The Mutiny On The Bounty, starring Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard as the dastardly Captain Bligh. 

The Hill, starring Sean Connery.

The King Of Comedy, starring Robert Di Nero and the surprisingly good Jerry Lewis.

Wall Street, starring Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen. Douglas is fantastic as the iconic 1980's, uber greedy bartsteward, Gordon Gekko.

And btw. What the hell happened to the onetime highly promising career of Charlie Sheen? Could have been up the with Tom Cruise as a superstar of his generation.

The Untouchables, starring Kevin Costner, Sean Connery and Di Nero perfectly cast as Al Capone. 

Ok, gotta say it, elephant in the room and all that ... Top Gear, The Grand Tour and Clarkson's Farm. If you can't close your ears to the occasional prat comment, you must have led a sheltered life, and certainly never have gone into a pub. As my dear old Mum used to say, "if you don't like it, there is an 'off' button". As offensive as he can be, certain politicians offend me more, and I don't hear the social media clamouring for them to be kept off the telly (OK, @JaneB, I'll keep my opinions to myself - no politics ...).

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

The King Of Comedy, starring Robert Di Nero and the surprisingly good Jerry Lewis.

Absolutely awesome film. The Joker recently was very similar but not as charming.

Have you ever seen Glengarry Glenross?

One of the most underrated and underappreciated films of all time.

Stellar cast is an understatement. Jack Lemmon is just perfect in this.

2 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Ok, gotta say it, elephant in the room and all that ... Top Gear, The Grand Tour and Clarkson's Farm. If you can't close your ears to the occasional prat comment, you must have led a sheltered life, and certainly never have gone into a pub. As my dear old Mum used to say, "if you don't like it, there is an 'off' button". As offensive as he can be, certain politicians offend me more, and I don't hear the social media clamouring for them to be kept off the telly (OK, @JaneB, I'll keep my opinions to myself - no politics ...).

As a bit of a motor head, I've always preferred Fifth Gear and more recently Fifth Gear Recharged which deals with EVs and hybrids. 

Hated Top Gear since McGuinness and Flintoff turned it into a battle of who's Britain's most working class northerner.  It was already moribund when Joey from Friends took over. 

4 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Now..don't do that BM....opinions are the life blood of a debate..a degree of political comment is inevitable given the overlap into our sport by HMG for example...all relevant and the asides that spill over are not really against the spirit of any topic.

The danger is when political and social commentary become the debate unrelated to Chelsea or the game.

Agendas and partisan posturing have no place on a football forum. That is not a criticsm of individual opinions or feelings..a time and place for everything...just not part of a Chelsea/football forum except as possibly a separate area....Hyde Park Corner as a freedom is something many other societies do not have and indeed are silenced at every turn.

41 minutes ago, Ham said:

As a bit of a motor head, I've always preferred Fifth Gear and more recently Fifth Gear Recharged which deals with EVs and hybrids. 

Hated Top Gear since McGuinness and Flintoff turned it into a battle of who's Britain's most working class northerner.  It was already moribund when Joey from Friends took over. 

Bit of a motor head myself, but found Fifth Gear a bit anodyne - then again, I've not watched it for a decade, so ...

My apologies for not making myself clear: Top Gear was Hammond, Clarkson and May. That other thing is simply a travesty.

37 minutes ago, chara said:

Now..don't do that BM....opinions are the life blood of a debate..a degree of political comment is inevitable given the overlap into our sport by HMG for example...all relevant and the asides that spill over are not really against the spirit of any topic.

The danger is when political and social commentary become the debate unrelated to Chelsea or the game.

Agendas and partisan posturing have no place on a football forum. That is not a criticsm of individual opinions or feelings..a time and place for everything...just not part of a Chelsea/football forum except as possibly a separate area....Hyde Park Corner as a freedom is something many other societies do not have and indeed are silenced at every turn.

Spoken like true Englishman - fully agree. Incidentally, Flintoff may not return to TG after his crash of last December. For his cricket, I applaud him. But hopefully he'll stick to that in future and leave motoring to those who understand it. And are actually amusing.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Absolutely awesome film. The Joker recently was very similar but not as charming.

Haven't seen either of those films though i do know they are highly thought of by those who've seen them. I've given up on modern day Hollywood, so being an older film Glengarry will be the one I'll tick down as one to watch.

As for Top Gear. I'm not into cars but I did love those specials Clarkson & co made abroad. Just perfectly relaxing, gently amusing/silly entertainment. Some wonderful scenery too. Watched them all numerous times.

28 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Haven't seen either of those films though i do know they are highly thought of by those who've seen them. I've given up on modern day Hollywood, so being an older film Glengarry will be the one I'll tick down as one to watch.

It's actually not an old, old film. It's Jack Lemmon towards the very end of his career.  Made in 1992.

Check out the cast from the poster;

Screenshot_20230209_222629_Chrome.jpg

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

It's actually not an old, old film. It's Jack Lemmon towards the very end of his career.  Made in 1992.

Check out the cast from the poster;

Screenshot_20230209_222629_Chrome.jpg

30 years old is one I'd class as an old film but obviously not as old as the film's I listed. Great cast and generally sounds like the kind of movie I'd enjoy, so I will defo give it a look. Probably be able to buy it on Amazon for few quid. And thanks for the heads up too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

30 years old is one I'd class as an old film but obviously not as old as the film's I listed. Great cast and generally sounds like the kind of movie I'd enjoy, so I will defo give it a look. Probably be able to buy it on Amazon for few quid. And thanks for the heads up too.

It's a genuinely great movie. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it - the cast is magnificent!

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 07:50, Mark Kelly said:

Its a fantastic film , Pacino is amazing , well. to be honest all of them are. 

I watched it on YouTube.

Although I really enjoyed the movie I wouldn't rate it quite as highly as yourself and Ham do.

First rate acting from all, great script and solidly directed. I just felt that the story wasn't as strong as those other parts of the movie. Perhaps I'm guilty of wanting a different movie, but I felt that it llacked the big payoff at the end. To take it to being a classic level movie, It needed a horrible **** at the core of the movie who was brought down at the end, like what happened to Gordon Gekko in Wall Street. Alec Baldwin put in a blistering cameo at the start of the movie (my favourite scene in the movie) and I though he was going to be that character, but they went nowhere with him after that, which was a shame and wate of a potentially classic movie baddie.

Having said that, i would agree that it's well worth watching for those who've never seen it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, east lower said:

On the subject of old films, one of my favourites is the original of The Birdman of Alcatraz (1962), with Burt Lancaster in the leading role.

Fascinating film, a true story and a wonderful example of the human spirit.

Yes, a great film.

Two more prison based films that I like - Escape From Alcatraz, starring Clint Eastwood. Papillon, starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes, a great film.

Two more prison based films that I like - Escape From Alcatraz, starring Clint Eastwood. Papillon, starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.

Saw an excellent film about a woman's prison but not many on here will have seen it I'm sure. 

They're was very little plot and their clothes kept falling off. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Saw an excellent film about a woman's prison but not many on here will have seen it I'm sure. 

They're was very little plot and their clothes kept falling off. 

*There (bloody autocorrect)

On 09/02/2023 at 16:46, Ham said:

Glengarry Glenross is excruciatingly brilliant, especially if you have ever been in sales! Jack Lemmon and Kevin Spacey were both utterly brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/02/2023 at 16:46, Ham said:

Yep Fifth Gear is a proper car program, as Top Gear used to be with Quentin Wilson and Tif Needell....it also has the benefit of the fabulous Vicki Butler-Henderson.

• Agree 1

On 04/02/2023 at 08:15, Sciatika said:

For me, it is often films where characters go through great hardship or sacrifice for the benefit of others. I suppose that's because I was brought up to think that Shackleton was a hero because he risked his life to rescuse his shipmates where Scott was a bit of a prat.

Shakelton's story is somewhat overshadowed by the tragic Captain Scott's expedition.

I saw  Ken Brannagh's,  Shakelton  drama some years ago and it really is a quite extraordinary, epic and heroic story.

4 hours ago, RDCW said:

Glengarry Glenross is excruciatingly brilliant, especially if you have ever been in sales! Jack Lemmon and Kevin Spacey were both utterly brilliant.

Brilliant acting the entire movie, but especially that scene where Lemmon goes into the guys house to make a sale. Felt so sad for him. 

Baldwin's character was right when he said you need brass balls to sell. Must be so hard to keep picking yourself up and going again after facing rejection after rejection.

On 18/02/2023 at 13:47, boratsbrother said:

Brilliant acting the entire movie, but especially that scene where Lemmon goes into the guys house to make a sale. Felt so sad for him. 

Baldwin's character was right when he said you need brass balls to sell. Must be so hard to keep picking yourself up and going again after facing rejection after rejection.

The recurring Simpsons character Gil is a beautifully observed homage to Jack Lemmon's Shelley Levine. That stab of pathos is present in exactly the same way as with the original character.

• Agree 1